Options

photos being taken via print screen

nelsonphotonelsonphoto Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited September 10, 2008 in SmugMug Support
It has come to my attention that my protected photos are being "taken" via print screen. I did have a fairly small in the corner copywrite notice, but I have reverted new photos back to the standard "proof" to render the photos unusable.

However is there anyway to stop this from happening?

It is usually teens as I found out by visiting some myspace pages only to find my photos which were uploaded not an hour before, still with the copy right on them already uploaded.

Comments

• Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    the short answer: No.

The longer answer: In any web browser all images are cached locally so you can even go into the cache (if you know what you are doing) and get the image that way.

BTW: even with Flash apps there is a way to sniff out the images that are in slide show.

If you can see it you can get it - at that size and resolution.

IMHO: Concerning the copyright offenders: Contact the offenders and ask for a link and copyright notice. Almost everyone I run into that has done that will comply.
    Cheers,
    David

It has come to my attention that my protected photos are being "taken" via print screen. I did have a fairly small in the corner copywrite notice, but I have reverted new photos back to the standard "proof" to render the photos unusable.

It is usually teens as I found out by visiting some myspace pages only to find my photos which were uploaded not an hour before, still with the copy right on them already uploaded.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008

You cannot stop it. Anything that can be seen in a browser can be captured in a screen shot. I'd suggest using a better watermark that looks better than the standard proof, is less obtrusive (use something that is semi-transparent so one can still see the image), yet is at least as effective in discouraging illicit copying (or maybe even more so, depending upon how you design it).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question