Options

best place to purchase/order CS3?

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited September 18, 2008 in Finishing School
I'm about to purchase CS3. Any suggestions on where to get the best price?

Thanks!
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    Do you know any school teachers?? If so ask one of them to order from Academic Superstore for you.....freakin HUUUUUGE savings.....if you have kids that have school ID's tht would probably work also...just say they will be taking a photo class nest semester.

I have ordered thru them when I worked for Wichita State U. as manager of the Performance Facilities Unit (we did stagingg, sound lights and recordings...I did not need PS for my job), I emailed copies of my Univrsity ID and KS DL and was set for a year.......Now I have to get ewomone to order for me as I no longer work for a school.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited September 10, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Do you know any school teachers?? If so ask one of them to order from Academic Superstore for you.....freakin HUUUUUGE savings.....if you have kids that have school ID's tht would probably work also...just say they will be taking a photo class nest semester.

I have ordered thru them when I worked for Wichita State U. as manager of the Performance Facilities Unit (we did stagingg, sound lights and recordings...I did not need PS for my job), I emailed copies of my Univrsity ID and KS DL and was set for a year.......Now I have to get ewomone to order for me as I no longer work for a school.

deal.gif
    The suggestion of using someone else to get a discount you yourself are not eligible for is unethical. Educational discounts are there for a reason, and such licenses are clear as to who is allowed to buy them. Bypassing the license requirements is a form of theft, and should not be condoned here.
    deal.gif

Now if you are a teacher, a student, or have children in school that could directly benefit from using the software, then that would be a proper use of educational discounts.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2008
    I have bought a lot of software from www.viosoftware.com and have been very pleased. They appear to be having a Autumn Special and currently have CS3 (full, legal, non-academic) for $552. Here's the link to that one special.

If you have PS 7 or later, you can get an upgrade from them for $239.
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    deal.gif
    The suggestion of using someone else to get a discount you yourself are not eligible for is unethical. Educational discounts are there for a reason, and such licenses are clear as to who is allowed to buy them. Bypassing the license requirements is a form of theft, and should not be condoned here.
    deal.gif

Now if you are a teacher, a student, or have children in school that could directly benefit from using the software, then that would be a proper use of educational discounts.

this is your opinion and you are entitled to itbowdown.gifbow....personally I call it resourcefulness thumb.gif

Of course I could have suggested simply buying from one of the hundreds or thousands of Russian Federation online stores that will for $21 send you a full working retail download of Lightroom 2 and for just under $60 a full retail download of PSCS3 (complete with all the codes, authentication, activation and key codes......and you get all the automatic updates directly from Adobe......Now this might be considered unethical thumb.gif.............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    this is your opinion and you are entitled to itbowdown.gifbow....personally I call it resourcefulness thumb.gif

Of course I could have suggested simply buying from one of the hundreds or thousands of Russian Federation online stores that will for $21 send you a full working retail download of Lightroom 2 and for just under $60 a full retail download of PSCS3 (complete with all the codes, authentication, activation and key codes......and you get all the automatic updates directly from Adobe......Now this might be considered unethical thumb.gif.............

Art, it's not a matter of opinion, if you do that you are not the legal owner of the software, as educational versions of the software are non-transferrable. You do not own it, you have what amounts to a pirated copy. That's theft.

I've bolded the relevant bit:
    4.4 No Transfer. YOU MAY NOT RENT, LEASE, SELL, SUBLICENSE, ASSIGN OR TRANSFER YOUR RIGHTS IN THE SOFTWARE, OR AUTHORIZE ANY PORTION OF THE SOFTWARE TO BE COPIED ONTO ANOTHER INDIVIDUAL OR LEGAL ENTITY'S COMPUTER EXCEPT AS MAY BE PERMITTED HEREIN. You may, however, permanently transfer all your rights to use the Software to another individual or legal entity provided that: (a) you also transfer (i) this agreement, (ii) the serial number(s), the Software affixed to media provided by Adobe or its authorized distributor, and all other software or hardware bundled, packaged or pre-installed with the Software, including all copies, upgrades, updates and prior versions, and (iii) all copies of font software converted into other formats to such individual or entity; (b) you retain no upgrades, updates or copies, including backups and copies stored on a computer; and (c) the receiving party accepts the terms and conditions of this agreement and any other terms and conditions under which you purchased a valid license to the Software. NOTWITHSTANDING THE FOREGOING, YOU MAY NOT TRANSFER EDUCATION, PRE-RELEASE, OR NOT FOR RESALE COPIES OF THE SOFTWARE. Prior to a transfer Adobe may require that you and the receiving party confirm in writing your compliance with this agreement, provide Adobe with information about yourselves, and register as end-users of the Software. Allow 4-6 weeks to transfer. Please visit http://www.adobe.com/support or contact Adobe's Customer Support Department for more information.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Art Scott wrote:

Art, one last note. David_S85 was letting you know what Dgrin policy is. Whatever your opinions are about educational licenses, we need you to follow our lead on what's acceptable here on Dgrin, k? thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    Art Scott wrote:

You may call it whatever you wish. But it is not something we condone nor is it something you can legally do.

I suggest you make more of an effort to read the license agreements. Most clearly state that what you are "recommending" is in fact theft.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    So I will no longer give advice on where the best place to buy software is
    All is true of pirated and true educational products.....I have yet to purchase an educational version....so I do not worry about the transfer of title....the software I have is all perfectly legal and I get my upgrades when adobe releases (all except cs3 due to the lack of resources in current box)......if I was going to condone piracy...I would have simply PM'ed the OP with the addy's of a few warez sites and the op could have had CS3 for absolutely nothing.....full retail working copies that have no need for activation,key or Authorization codes.........

So I will no longer give advice on where the best place to buy software...

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2008
    In your first post you suggest that the OP do something illegal (have someone else buy from academic superstore) and also lie ("Say that your kid is taking a photography class"). Then you get snippy when moderators point out that you shouldn't encourage people to do those things on Dgrin. Then your defense is that you could have told the OP to do something even more shady? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    Pupator wrote:
    In your first post you suggest that the OP do something illegal (have someone else buy from academic superstore) and also lie ("Say that your kid is taking a photography class"). Then you get snippy when moderators point out that you shouldn't encourage people to do those things on Dgrin. Then your defense is that you could have told the OP to do something even more shady? ne_nau.gif

:deadhorse
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    :deadhorse

Probably so. You think your contribution to this thread is any more valuable? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    Almost every shooter seems to want a legit copy of PSCS3, and lots of us think it is overpriced, but we buy it anyway, so it must have some real appeal, and real value.

If someone knows of a legitimate site that offers significant discounts on Adobe software, I am sure we are all ears, but most of us realize that other than a few discounts from Adobe, this is usually not to be found. ( Educational software for students excepted, of course )

As for pirated software from overseas, I always wonder what other code has been included like key stroke loggers, viruses, etc etc. Call me a skeptic, I guess, but I always look a gift horse carefully in the mouth, myself.

Unless one needs layers, Adobe Lightroom 2, offers an awful lot of image editing power, for substantially less money than PSCS3. Much of what I do in PSCS3 is use Adobe RAW converter, and that is what Lightroom 2 includes as well as an image database.

I think for a lot of Photographers, Lightroom 2 is probably all they need, and costs about 1/2 the price of CS3. Worth considering.

I do agree that encouraging unlawful activity is not condoned here on dgrin.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    pathfinder wrote:
    Almost every shooter seems to want a legit copy of PSCS3, and lots of us think it is overpriced, but we buy it anyway, so it must have some real appeal, and real value.

If someone knows of a legitimate site that offers significant discounts on Adobe software, I am sure we are all ears, but most of us realize that other than a few discounts from Adobe, this is usually not to be found. ( Educational software for students excepted, of course )

As for pirated software from overseas, I always wonder what other code has been included like key stroke loggers, viruses, etc etc. Call me a skeptic, I guess, but I always look a gift horse carefully in the mouth, myself.

Unless one needs layers, Adobe Lightroom 2, offers an awful lot of image editing power, for substantially less money than PSCS3. Much of what I do in PSCS3 is use Adobe RAW converter, and that is what Lightroom 2 includes as well as an image database.

I think for a lot of Photographers, Lightroom 2 is probably all they need, and costs about 1/2 the price of CS3. Worth considering.

I do agree that encouraging unlawful activity is not condoned here on dgrin.

Thank you. I do have Lightroom 1, but it's not intuitive for me so I haven't figured it out yet. I would like to use its cataloging capability and RAW converter. I did get CS3 today, as I do desire the ability to use layers with templates and actions. Now I've got the tools, I just need to learn to use them! I've signed up for an on-line class for CS3. The structure of a class helps me learn and process better than just jumping in and figuring things out myself. I hope to be comfortable with it soon!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    Pupator wrote:
    Probably so. You think your contribution to this thread is any more valuable? rolleyes1.gif

Anything I might say would be redundant...therefore not worth saying.
  • Options
    pathfinder wrote:
    Unless one needs layers, Adobe Lightroom 2, offers an awful lot of image editing power,.
    I personally think LR 2 is very intuitive...and all any photographer needs. With the plugins that third party software developers are creating it will even be easier and more powerful. Check out the OnOne press release...all their good stuff will work with LR by the end of the year.
  • Options
    Ric, I never really liked LR v1 that much, but I have developed real affection for LR v2.

The new power in the RAW converter v4.5, including the new camera profiles, are really dynamite. I find I use it all the time now, and that is just since this summer. I love the sharpening in the RAW converter - that really makes my images pop now.

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 17, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I love the sharpening in the RAW converter - that really makes my images pop now.

Really!? eek7.gif Whatever happened to the mantra that sharpening should be done as the very last step before resizing and/or printing? Is that theory defunct now, or do you still do output sharpening as well?

-joel
  • Options
    Capture sharpening can be done in the RAW converter to regain the acutance lost in the process of analog to digital capture; eg the result of the pixel gathering on the sensor itself.

Output sharpening can indeed still be done just prior to printing, but I think I won't need that much, as my images really seem razor sharp coming out of the RAW converter.

• Options
    pathfinder wrote:
    Capture sharpening can be done in the RAW converter to regain the acutance lost in the process of analog to digital capture; eg the result of the pixel gathering on the sensor itself.

Output sharpening can indeed still be done just prior to printing, but I think I won't need that much, as my images really seem razor sharp coming out of the RAW converter.

Take a look at Nik Sharpener Pro 3.0...just came out...has raw presharpening and the most sophisticated output sharpener I have ever seen. I can't explain the technology, but they have a function they call structure sharpening that is truly amazing. I am still learning how to use it properly...but am impressed so far.

Raw file from April that I just edited in LR and sharpened for display with NikSP3:

373939305_2L7Ji-XL.jpg

The trick is to avoid applying too much effect.
  • Options
    pathfinder wrote:

Interesting. ACR has a moderate amount of capture sharpening enabled by default, and I read several places that one should turn it completely off. So that's how I have it now, and I do all my sharpening at the end of the workflow. Sheesh, I'm so confused. I guess I'll have to do some more experimentation. Thanks for the info.

-joel
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2008
    Kdog,

I use the workflow for capturesharpening in ACR described by Jeff Schewe and Michael Reichman in their video for Lightroom v2. I am sure there are many ways to do this, but this seems to work for me, and I can see the improved crispness of my images compared to previous editing techniques prior to ACR 4.1

Output sharpening for printing is still needed of course later.

• Options
    pathfinder wrote:
    Kdog,

I use the workflow for capturesharpening in ACR described by Jeff Schewe and Michael Reichman in their video for Lightroom v2. I am sure there are many ways to do this, but this seems to work for me, and I can see the improved crispness of my images compared to previous editing techniques prior to ACR 4.1

Output sharpening for printing is still needed of course later.

Link? ear.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Thanks again, PF. Maybe I'll order the video. I see they have one specifically for ACR as well.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    DavidTO wrote:
    Link? ear.gif
    I'm assuming he's talking about these: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/videos/download-videos.shtml
  • Options
    DavidTO wrote:
    Link? ear.gif

Luminous Landscape Guide to Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2

You will either enjoy it or hate it, as Michael and Jeff banter with each other as they discuss and teach their methods using LR2. Be patient with them.thumb.gif T

hey are pretty thorough but take their time getting there for some folks. I enjoyed it greatly and learned quite bit.

• Options
    kdog wrote:

Yup, all three are worthwhilethumb.gif