Options

Portraiture

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited September 13, 2008 in People
My lil one posed for me today. I usually do outside shots so still leaning indoor sittings. C and C is needed and very much appretiated. There is alittle more noise in this color one than I anticipated and that was it wasn't until I got to post processing that I realized that I had the iso set at 3200 for another project I was doing. I thought I had set it to 200 but apparently it didn't registar as that.
370130098_ptJjp-L.jpg

Because of the noise I ran this one through an aging program as a platinum picture...
370129043_RsJ4f-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    OhadOhad Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited September 11, 2008
    Very nice pose.
    I am missing focused eyes...

B&W version is better, but still I prefer the colors in the first one.
    Since I like the hands posture, maybe you should have kept the right elbow in the picture?
    Ohad M. Somjen
    http://ohad.smugmug.com

My Equipment:
    * Nikon D200 + Grip
    * Nikon 12-24mm f/4 AF-S DX, 50mm f/1.4 AF D
    * Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8D VR G-AFS ED-IF
    * 190XPROB Manfrotto Tripod & Cullmann 40300 Magnesit 3-Way Head Large
    * I use DXO Optics Pro and Film Pack for all processing, no CS involved!
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    color...
    I hope you don't mind me making a few illustrative adjustments. Hope this helps. A little color and curves adjustment and a small amount of dodging. And, a little sharpening. Original on top and adjusted on the bottom.

370576205_MrNrL-M.jpg

370576200_73J3B-M.jpg
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    Thank you for responding Ohad and Ed.

Ed I cannot see the pics you posted. They are x's. You might want to make sure whatever album you have them in that its set on "allow ext. links".

I would like to see what you have done. I am still on a big learning curve when it comes to "curves and levels" and I don't really understand them. For the most part I just play with them in post processing.

The orange tone was intentional to give a warm glow to her usual very creamy white skin. I also was trying to get the antiquish look with the pose...like something you would see on an old fashion card from the '30's.

I think I had the white balance on this set for a very warm tone...up in the 5400 I think.

Ohad you are right I should have caught that other elbow and I think I might have one with it. I will look back through. I had taken over 75 pics of her this sitting.
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2008
    Turned on the links...
    Sorry, I had inadvertently forgotten to turn on external links. If you cannot see the images now, let me know. I am able to see them without the links being on...strange. As far as 5400 being warm for your camera...that's the kelvin setting for daylight, the same as an SB800. Warm is generally considered yellow, not orange.

Hope this helps.

Ed
  • Options
    Ed911 wrote:
    Sorry, I had inadvertently forgotten to turn on external links. If you cannot see the images now, let me know. I am able to see them without the links being on...strange. As far as 5400 being warm for your camera...that's the kelvin setting for daylight, the same as an SB800. Warm is generally considered yellow, not orange.

Hope this helps.

Yes I see them now Ed. Your adjustments made it look like very close to the original picture out of the camera. BEFORE I played with the levels and things in psp. I like the tonal quality of it of the post edited you did. Here is the original.
    371047336_7SnuM-L.jpg

Your edit...
    370576200_73J3B-M.jpg

I have not learned of the "kelvin" setting before and will look up what it is. I was in the sub menus of my white balance when I was playing with adjustments on my camera. I had moved the little dot on the color grid to an oranger color vs the yellow. The whites of her eyes is what I changed in the post processing levels. Thus the bluish look to the background.

How did you maintain the whites of the eyes plus the nice glow of skin? I do not have ps but I do have pspX2.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Very nice i prefer Ed's postprocessing.
    Lovely kid :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Very nice i prefer Ed's post processing.
    Lovely kid :D

Thanks, Awais

Kelvin is just a number that is assigned to a color temperature. (Color that is associated with certain lighting conditions.) Daylight is between 5200 and 5600 kelvin, approximately. The SB800 is daylight balanced (tuned to) 5400 kelvin...in the middle of the color temperature range for daylight, which is dependent on the time of day on a clear day.

5400 Kelvin, simply means that the SB800 puts out light similar to daylight.

If you set your camera's white balance to less than 5400, you will get cooler looking pictures, if it is above 5400, then your pictures will tend to be warmer...or more yellow in tone.

Hope this helps...

Ed
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    The noise, and the plasticy look of trying to control it in PP kill this one for me. FWIW, both of the color edits appear too warm, though the skintones are better in Ed's try.
  • Options
    Ed911 wrote:
    Thanks, Awais

Kelvin is just a number that is assigned to a color temperature. (Color that is associated with certain lighting conditions.) Daylight is between 5200 and 5600 kelvin, approximately. The SB800 is daylight balanced (tuned to) 5400 kelvin...in the middle of the color temperature range for daylight, which is dependent on the time of day on a clear day.

5400 Kelvin, simply means that the SB800 puts out light similar to daylight.

If you set your camera's white balance to less than 5400, you will get cooler looking pictures, if it is above 5400, then your pictures will tend to be warmer...or more yellow in tone.

Hope this helps...

Yes this helps alot for the camera settings Ed...I am wondering how to correct it pp if need be? I have pspx2 that has a photo quick fix program that is simular to adobe lightroom...but I am not understanding the process I guess. There is a dropper tool that they suggest to click on something that should be white. When I did that it changed it to what I have in the top post. Anyone know of a free online tut that might help me understand this stuff is well appreciated. I am a bit slow at learning this stuff so need it to be in very plain english.

Thanks for all your help Ed.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    The noise, and the plasticy look of trying to control it in PP kill this one for me. FWIW, both of the color edits appear too warm, though the skintones are better in Ed's try.

Thanks Jeff for your comments. I agree that the noise level was too high...I didn't realize my iso was still set on high from another shoot till I got to pp. The warmth was intentional...although my original settings of the "kelvin" temps was apperently too much. But I am learning.thumb.gif

Not sure if I agree about the "plasticy" as I am not seeing that. She is very young and has very smooth creamy skin as you can see in the untouched photo I posted in post #6. Outside of the noise she is blemish free (give it a few years when she hits her teensmwink.gif ). I do appreciate your feedback though...ty.
  • Options
    Morris On LocationMorris On Location Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    :)
    I love the idea and I think the warmth fits the image... ed's edit looks great only change I would make and this is nitpicky is the small bit of blue that is showing on her shoulder..quessing part of her shirt..
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2008
    Post Processing...
    JAG wrote:
    Yes I see them now Ed. Your adjustments made it look like very close to the original picture out of the camera. BEFORE I played with the levels and things in psp. I like the tonal quality of it of the post edited you did. Here is the original.
    371047336_7SnuM-L.jpg

Your edit...
    370576200_73J3B-M.jpg

How did you maintain the whites of the eyes plus the nice glow of skin? I do not have ps but I do have pspX2.

It was easier than you might imagine. The facial glow was achieved by using curves, and I did the whites of the eyes by dodging a little so they look lighter, but not white, in keeping with the overall tonal range of the image.

Ed
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2008
    Ed911 wrote:
    It was easier than you might imagine. The facial glow was achieved by using curves, and I did the whites of the eyes by dodging a little so they look lighter, but not white, in keeping with the overall tonal range of the image.

Ok I will have to try that. Thank you for your great tips!clap.gif