Options

Help!! Looking for a mid range lens

lazzaramlazzaram Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited September 12, 2008 in Cameras
Im trying to figure out what lens to buy for my Canon Rebel XTI. Im looking for a mid range lens. I have a great zoom lens but nothing for an every day walk around lens. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2008
    lazzaram wrote:
    Im trying to figure out what lens to buy for my Canon Rebel XTI. Im looking for a mid range lens. I have a great zoom lens but nothing for an every day walk around lens. Any suggestions?

I guess it depends on your price range?

I happen to love the 28-135mm IS. It is a nice range and easy to carry around, has IS. You can find them all over for under $300.

I'm still waiting on a good used 24-205 f4L, but so much money I can't get it yet.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    When out walking around a town....I find it hard to not have a full range of say 28-200 mm availale...so I either want to be inconspicious or in you face....going inconspicious then I grab my PS (KM A2/w 28-200 macro zoom) and if I be doing it in your face then it is both DSLR's with 24-70 and 70-210 both f2.8.......I have tried carrying just one cam and lens and for me ijust doesn't work......so If I had to do itwith just one lens...it would be like an 18-200 or 18-250 (or 18-270)........that way I could have decent wide anle and very good tele on the other end...........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    I was going to suggest a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 as good, inexpensive, small, light and sharp optics for an XTi.

But then I read Art's comment, and I might also suggest Tamron's 28-300 f3.5-f6.3 IF XS Di lens - I own this lens and rather like it for a walk around. It is not as sharp as a Canon 70-200, but it is smaller, lighter, wider and longer, and cheaper too. It does have some CA at times, but that is easy to fix in Adobe Camera Raw or LR2. I have a number of images with it that will easily tolerate 13 x 19 inch prints.

I think it compares with the optical quality of the Canon 28-135 IS lens that Nightingale ( my spouse ) uses.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    I recently rented the Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 OS for a vacation trip to Maui so that I wouldn't have to carry around 2 different lenses. Loved it!! I got great landscape photos as well as nice closeups. I also have a Rebel xTi.

Stephanie
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    My favorite Canon crop 1.6x - 2 lens kit is:

Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm, f4L IS USM

This is an awesome combination and both lenses cover their range with great results from any focal length and the quality, even wide open, is splendid.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    lazzaramlazzaram Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    thank you everyone for your info. Its alot to take in but it has given me some real good reading matieral for the evining thanks again. Ill let you know what i go with when i know.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    I would recommend a "normal zoom lens" meaning about 24-100mm coverage range in 35mm format. So for a Rebel XTi, that falls into 16-80mm range.

Probably going from cheapest to most expensive.
    Canon 18-55mm IS: Great optics and IS, cheap build and a bit slow but very cheap.
    Sigma 17-70: Good value, versatile.
    Sigma 18-50mm f2.8, has macro feature
    Tamron 17-50mm f2.8: my recommendation for the best price, range, optics, build feel.
    Canon 17-85IS: good range, nice AF and IS but optics aren't the best.
    Tokina 16-50mm f2.8: great build quality and widest, but a bit pricy at near $700
    Canon 17-55mm f2.8IS: Great optics, best AF, IS but almost $1000, hood not included, and biggest too.