Options

adobe bridge to photoshop error

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited September 12, 2008 in Finishing School
I went out today and took some shots to get focused on the new challenge.
upon arriving home and uploading the pics I encountered a problem opening one of the files.
all other pics opened just fine and the one with the problem was a middle sequence shot.
The picture uploaded from the camera to bridge just fine, but then when i go to open it in photoshop I get an error message stating "unable to complete operation per request. Encountered an unexpected end of file error." and nothing more, I have tried everything.:scratch

any one else with a similar problem???

Thanks for any insight.

Comments

• Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2008
    I've never had the problem but it sounds to me like you have a corrupted file.

If you still have the photo in the camera try transferring it again to Bridge.

You could also try opening it with a different photo program, say Picassa, Infranview, etc. assuming it's a jpg. If it opens it's not the file. If it doesn't open than probably is the file.

Beyond that, ne_nau.gif
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    google something like "Adobe Bridge crash" for solutions.

Adobe has a web page with several different things you can do to make sure it's not Bridge. Sometimes, just clearing all your preferences does the trick if indeed Bridge is at fault.

I just had a hair raising event where Bridge repeatedly crashed when I went to batch process more than 500 tifs into print files for a client. It literally happened over and over. Luckily, simply resetting the preferences "fixed" it for me. The downside, of course, is that I reset the preferences and now have to re-customize my layout and all that. Still... much better than not being able to batch process those files!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    Thanks for the information, I will give that a try!
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    Opening the file directly from Photoshop should tell you whether the file is corrupt or whether it's a bridge issue ... Let's hope it's bridge ...
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2008
    Craziness happening
    I did exactly this and I got the same error message, so my only thought is that file is corrupted some how.

It just seems really strange that all the other shots before and after open fine. Sad thing is, is that it was the one sure shot I wanted to pp for the #8 competition.

After starting this answer I went back and tried a different approach, I was actually able to open the file in Nikons NX viewer. I find this extremely strange that I can use nikons software and view the photo but adobe treats it as corrupted.

Any thoughts anyone?????
    digismile wrote:
    Opening the file directly from Photoshop should tell you whether the file is corrupt or whether it's a bridge issue ... Let's hope it's bridge ...
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    barrotj wrote:
    Any thoughts anyone?????
    Ask at Adobe's help center, that's what I would do.
  • Options
    saltydogsaltydog Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    I don't know what file format you shot and whether this will help in your case, but I had a similar problem recently. I shot in Raw+jpg setting and four Raw files wouldn't open at all. I was however able to open the jpegs in NX 2 (though I couldn't open them in Photoshop) and save them as TIFF files. After that I could open the TIFFs in PS without a problem.
    all that we see or seem
    is but a dream within a dream
    - Edgar Allan Poe

http://www.saltydogphotography.com
    http://saltydogphotography.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Thanks Saltydog
    Saltydog, all I can say is thank you for the information, this worked. I shoot in raw only and was able to open in nx2, then saved as a TIFF and photoshop responded accordingly.

A big serious thanks for your help Saltydog

saltydog wrote:
    I don't know what file format you shot and whether this will help in your case, but I had a similar problem recently. I shot in Raw+jpg setting and four Raw files wouldn't open at all. I was however able to open the jpegs in NX 2 (though I couldn't open them in Photoshop) and save them as TIFF files. After that I could open the TIFFs in PS without a problem.
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    It's great that you found a way to recover your file!

I did a little searching and found several threads pertaining to your error message for Bridge, Lightroom, and PS. The general consensus was a faulty flash card or an error during transfer.

Although there is no 100% method to avoid file failure, there are options to prevent or catch this kind of fault early on, before you format the original file on the card.

In my workflow, I use ImageIngester Pro3 to import my RAW images. In particular, two of the features that I use are:

1. Create a backup of the imported files.
    2. Create a DNG file to test the file integrity (then automatically delete).

The DNG doesn't need to be deleted. I just choose to have the program delete it as I'm presently not using DNG. I have yet to have a corrupt file, but the program would report any file issues during the DNG file conversion.

Just food for thought,
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    A couple of thoughts:

Can you open the file in any other photo editor besides Nikon such as Picassa or Infranview? Not sure what it would prove but would be interesting to see.

Try this: Open the file in Nikon's software, save it under a different name, then try opening the new file with Bridge. Maybe resaving it will rearrange what ever bits and bytes are tripping up Bridge.

Edit: Whoops ... I didn't see all the above responses before posting this ... I'm glad it all worked out for you.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    I think is you are seeing faulty files very often, your CF chip is at fault, and probably needs to be replaced, as it is not reliable.

You MIGHT be able to get the file from the chip with SanDisk's RescuePro or Lexar's ImageRescue file recovery program. There are other file recovery programs that can frequently find the image on the chip or on a disk that the standard operating systems cannot "see"
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    This is the first file I have ever had a problem with and as for the chip (transcend 4gb 133) it was or is brand new, formatted in the camera, prior to shooting.
    Like I said this was a weird occurrence with a raw file in the middle portion of the sequence of shots. all others loaded fine. With the help of all on here and namely SALTYDOG, I was able to recover the file.

What I am going to do is a little experiment and go see a few buddies of mine and upload the file to their computers to see if it was a saving error with Nikon's software in camera, adobe software during transfer or if it was a just a fluke deal(which is my best guess).

I find it really weird or "convenient" that I was able to pull it up with Nikon's software and not adobe.

Either way I have pulled the chip out of rotation until I can either confirm one way or the other if it was the chip itself. don't want to put a clients photo's on a chip that may or may not transfer the file properly.

But most of all thanks to everyone that has offered assistance, it is greatly appreciated.
    pathfinder wrote:
    I think is you are seeing faulty files very often, your CF chip is at fault, and probably needs to be replaced, as it is not reliable.

You MIGHT be able to get the file from the chip with SanDisk's RescuePro or Lexar's ImageRescue file recovery program. There are other file recovery programs that can frequently find the image on the chip or on a disk that the standard operating systems cannot "see"