Options

A few Russian Film Cameras

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,918 moderator
edited September 15, 2008 in Cameras
Hey Nik,

Anything look familiar? (I think I've showed a few of these before.)

372663996_WbAz7-O.jpg

372664128_kFPbp-O.jpg

372664301_qTG3M-O.jpg

372664403_ZiuTo-O.jpg

Some really great glass in these images. :thumb
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2008
    Hey Ziggy53......Does that Kiev 60 have a screw mount of practica mount....looks to me to have screw mount......I had extension tubes for mine along with a fantastic 80mm lens.

Nice cams.....the Lubies could be a lot of fun also............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited September 14, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Hey Ziggy53......Does that Kiev 60 have a screw mount of practica mount....looks to me to have screw mount......I had extension tubes for mine along with a fantastic 80mm lens.

Nice cams.....the Lubies could be a lot of fun also............

The Kiev 60 is a medium format camera and shoots 6cm square format. This one has, I believe, an Exacta medium format bayonet lens mount. I have both the 80mm and the 65mm lenses.

(Correction, the wide lens is a 45mm, f3.5 Arsat)

I have both the pentaprism finder (shown) and the waist-level folding finder.

With the penta-prism finder it feels like a very heavy Pentax 67, but with square format, which I very much like.

The 2 - 35mm rangefinder cameras are the Fed 5 cameras. I never was very interested in the Russian 35mm SLR cameras. They just had too many problems. (Not that the pictured cameras don't have their own set of problems. mwink.gif)

The Fed lenses "can" be superb and those 2 lenses shown are very nice. The Fed cameras are very much like Leica designs (kind of) but I like the film loading a lot better on the Fed cameras.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2008
    Leica copy?
    Ziggy,

Those Fed 5 rangefinders look very much like Leica copies.

What kinds of lenses are available for them?

I might have to sniff around KEH...
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    gtc wrote:
    Ziggy,

Those Fed 5 rangefinders look very much like Leica copies.

What kinds of lenses are available for them?

I might have to sniff around KEH...

I have not tried Leica lenses on the Fed cameras but they are supposed to fit. The focus cams may not match between manufacturers and so the focus may be off. Likewise, it appears that there are 2 different FED focus cam designs and one may closely match the Leica design. You have to test the lens with the intended body to be sure. Some folks have been able to shim either the lens or the cams to achieve a match.

I built a ground plastic to place against the film plane to verify focus at different distances. Ground glass would probably work better but I didn't have a piece that size.

I have:

2 - 55mm f2.8 Industar LD lenses (Tessar design)
    1 - 5cm (yes, 5 centimeter) f2.0 Jupiter 8 (Sonnar design)

The Industar is surprisingly sharp. Here is a film scan from 2004:
    89179245-M.jpg

... and a link to the full scanned image (almost 13MPix):
    http://ziggy53.smugmug.com/photos/89179245-D.jpg

The Jupiter-8 lens is a much different design and not as sharp wide open but with a very special softness to it and the bokeh is fantastic. This lens has an aluminum construction and is easily damaged, so hard to find a good copy. No scans I'm afraid.

Eventually I hope to acquire:

Jupiter-9, 85mm, f/2
    Jupiter-12, 35mm, f2.8
    ziggy53
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Wow they look older then my dad eek7.gif
    Nice collection Ziggy worth decorating mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery