Options

Over saturated colors in Smugmug

mafotografixmafotografix Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
edited September 16, 2008 in SmugMug Support
This is the first time I'm experiencing this. It is quite odd.

The thumbnails look just fine but the full photo is over saturated. Colors are totally off!

What's happening? This is not good. I hope this gets fixed quickly.

It is not representation of my work at all.

Just some examples:

http://www.mafotografix.com/gallery/5328484_nAbNg#283333590_ptr3E

http://www.mafotografix.com/gallery/5327572_XFDYC#214425806_HwwwX

http://www.mafotografix.com/gallery/2624368#144056533_8o4sL

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2008
    This is the first time I'm experiencing this. It is quite odd.

The thumbnails look just fine but the full photo is over saturated. Colors are totally off!

What's happening? This is not good. I hope this gets fixed quickly.

It is not representation of my work at all.

Just some examples:

http://www.mafotografix.com/gallery/5328484_nAbNg#283333590_ptr3E

http://www.mafotografix.com/gallery/5327572_XFDYC#214425806_HwwwX

http://www.mafotografix.com/gallery/2624368#144056533_8o4sL

What browser are you using? Have you changed your browser, monitor, video card or color settings in the OS lately? Are you sure it hasn't always been this way?

On my computer, I see a normally saturated image if I bring it into Photoshop or view it in Safari (both of which are color managed) and I see additional saturation in Firefox 2 and IE 7 (both of which are not color managed). I see extra saturation because my native monitor is more saturated than sRGB, thus when a non-color-managed application shows an sRGB image on it without color management, it comes out more saturated. All is right when displayed by a color-managed application (Safari, Firefox 3 with color management enabled, Photoshop, Lightroom, etc...). I don't think there's anything that Smugmug can do to fix/avoid this. Fortunately, the trend is moving in the direction of more applications having color management (there used to be no browsers that way for the PC, now there's Safari and Firefox 3) so this will all sort itself out eventually. The problem is made worse by the last few generations of LCD monitors which are natively more saturated than sRGB so non-color-managed apps look more saturated on them. Apparently, they think they sell more in the showroom when they do this.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    jfriend wrote:
    What browser are you using? Have you changed your browser, monitor, video card or color settings in the OS lately? Are you sure it hasn't always been this way?

On my computer, I see a normally saturated image if I bring it into Photoshop or view it in Safari (both of which are color managed) and I see additional saturation in Firefox 2 and IE 7 (both of which are not color managed). I see extra saturation because my native monitor is more saturated than sRGB, thus when a non-color-managed application shows an sRGB image on it without color management, it comes out more saturated. All is right when displayed by a color-managed application (Safari, Firefox 3 with color management enabled, Photoshop, Lightroom, etc...). I don't think there's anything that Smugmug can do to fix/avoid this. Fortunately, the trend is moving in the direction of more applications having color management (there used to be no browsers that way for the PC, now there's Safari and Firefox 3) so this will all sort itself out eventually. The problem is made worse by the last few generations of LCD monitors which are natively more saturated than sRGB so non-color-managed apps look more saturated on them. Apparently, they think they sell more in the showroom when they do this.

Thanks for trying to reply with suggestions and solutions.

No change at all. I'm absolutely positively sure this happened just a couple of hours. I was alerted by a client who was reviewing the photos from yesterday and asked what had happened.

Thanks I am pretty advanced and I take part in Professional Photographers of Hawaii print competitions (I'm the 2008 Vice President). I know my color management and advise others. This has nothing to do with all you mentioned above.

The color difference is within the same page ie thumbnail different from full size image. Everything was fine a few hours ago.

Some images have been there for more than a year.
  • Options
    Thanks for trying to reply with suggestions and solutions.

No change at all. I'm absolutely positively sure this happened just a couple of hours. I was alerted by a client who was reviewing the photos from yesterday and asked what had happened.

Thanks I am pretty advanced and I take part in Professional Photographers of Hawaii print competitions (I'm the 2008 Vice President). I know my color management and advise others. This has nothing to do with all you mentioned above.

The color difference is within the same page ie thumbnail different from full size image. Everything was fine a few hours ago.

Some images have been there for more than a year.

Thanks for fixing it! :) I checked all 3 computer monitors, used all 3 difference browsers. They look correct now. Geez you guys got me worried back there for a minute.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    Thanks for fixing it! :) I checked all 3 computer monitors, used all 3 difference browsers. They look correct now. Geez you guys got me worried back there for a minute.
    Hi, we didn't change anything thumb.gif