Canon Loyalty Program

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited December 18, 2012 in Flea Market
I didn’t even know this program existed until I saw this thread from FatWallet (which somone took it from SlickDeals). And this program has been going on since least 2006!

Did you know about this program?!?!? I've never heard about it until someone pointed me to that thread!

Basically, you can trade in your canon digital camera even if it doesn’t work (must be a digital canon, you have to send it in and give them the serial number when you call), pay them some upgrade money, pay tax + shipping ($10) and you can get a white-box refurbish camera with a six month warranty.

The list of upgrade cameras that you can select depends on the trade-in value of your current camera.

Canon Loyalty Program: 866-443-8002

Summary taken from Fat Walle -- check the tread for more trade-in options. People have been calling and posting about the selection and I believe the upgrade choices have changed over time. This is the list as of August 2008.

This is the current trade-up selection.
S10, S30, S45, S50, S100, S230, S300, S400, S410, S500, SD110, SD200, SD400, SD550, SD600, SD800-IS, SD1000, S1-IS, S2-IS, G2, G5 trade for:
SD850 IS - $150
G9 - $250
Rebel XT Silver with 18-55 mm lens - $275

A40, A60, A70, A75, A80, A610 trade for:
A560 - $89
SD1000 - $100
SX100 IS - $125

This sounds like a great deal if you have an old non-working camera sitting around the house! And $275 is a great deal for a newbie looking to enter in the dslr world!

Comments

• PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    I'm amazed nobody else responded. Just ordered my refurb G9 today. They get my old, half-broken S40.
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    Pindy wrote:
    I'm amazed nobody else responded. Just ordered my refurb G9 today. They get my old, half-broken S40.
    Maybe everyone already owns a dslr, don't need t a P&S, shoot Nikon or Olympus, etc. Don't know.... ne_nau.gif

I still think it's a fantastic deal! :D

Enjoy the G9!

I had a view finder issue with mine, but everyone is telling me that it's normal for the G9.

And even though it was in a refurb box, mine looked and felt like new!
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    That's cool. I wonder if that works in Finland as well. I've got an old SD400 that could use a cheap upgrade.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    Interesting... Thanks for sharing, April! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • crenningercrenninger Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    I traded a broken S400 for a Rebel XT,

Now I am looking at trading an other camera for either the G9 or maybe SD850IS,
  • jungjung Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    That is sweet, I wonder if Nikon offers a similar program. I do not shoot Cannon but they are winning brownie points with me.
    "let your eyes do the talking"
  • ktskts Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    Currently on hold to replace my busted SD800 w/ a G9.

Prices have been raised on the G9 and Rebel XT.

G9 - $359
    Rebel XT - $299

I was tempted to get the XT and then sell it but the G9 might hold possibilities for me for more stealthy urban exploring. :)
  • GroovyGeekGroovyGeek Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited September 15, 2008
    kts wrote:
    Currently on hold to replace my busted SD800 w/ a G9.
    Prices have been raised on the G9 and Rebel XT.
    G9 - $359
    Rebel XT - $299

I also found out about this from FW, some sweet deals come across on that site, well worth the 5 mins a day I spend reading their RSS feed. The $360 price on a G9 is not nearly as sweat a deal as the $250 it used to be. I also exchanged a busted SD800 for a G9, but at the previous price. Hang in there, as the enthusiasm for the program wanes they will lower prices again.
  • ktskts Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2008
    GroovyGeek wrote:
    I also found out about this from FW, some sweet deals come across on that site, well worth the 5 mins a day I spend reading their RSS feed. The $360 price on a G9 is not nearly as sweat a deal as the $250 it used to be. I also exchanged a busted SD800 for a G9, but at the previous price. Hang in there, as the enthusiasm for the program wanes they will lower prices again.

I would have loved to have gotten the G9 for $250, but even at $359 it still helps me trade my dead SD800 that I replaced with an SD870 a few months ago with a camera that I will actually use and at still a not too shabby price.

I had an old S50 that I thought was broken that I was going to see if I could trade in for an XT but when I charged the battery and tried to turn it on the lens finally overcame whatever was stopping it and now it works again. I'm glad it works again but I'd rather have an XT that I could convert to IR or sell or something else...
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    January Update
    Just did this today, the choices and costs were"

SD890IS: $150
    G9: $359

Both are plus tax and shipping.

I went with the SD890, probably a better deal. This item is backordered so it will take 2 to 3 weeks to recieve. In my case the tax and shipping make it $169 for the SD890.

Not quite a smoking deal it was, but I did exchange a dead camera for a refurb that should suit my travel/small camera needs.

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    I called Canon this AM (Aug 11, 2010) to ask about trade in for a very old elph or an S30, this is what I was told:

a1100 $72
    a470 $48
    sd1200 $86.40
    SD 960 $134.40
    SX120IS $119.59
    DSLR's
    T1i $455.99 (519.99 with kit lens)
    XS (319.99 with kit lens)
    XSI $335.99 (399.99 with kit lens)
    When I called back later to ask about trade-ins for my 350D, just for the heck of it, a different operator added this info
    40D $559.20 ($719.20 with 28-100 IS kit lens)
    50D $719.20 ($839.20 ditto)
    7D $1119.20
    5D11 $1679.20

this second operator told me that these were the prices no matter what camera I was trading in, but I didn't clarify whether or not all camera trade-ins would qualify for the prosumer cameras. I can't believe I'd get that 5DII or the 7D discount for trading in an ancient elph, but maybe.. I should have clarified.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    I called last week and was told the same numbers, minus the 7D (I didn't ask for a full list, however). I used my SD880 as the trade-in. I could almost talk myself into getting a 5DII at that price!
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
    edited August 11, 2010
    gecko0 wrote: »
    I called last week and was told the same numbers, minus the 7D (I didn't ask for a full list, however). I used my SD880 as the trade-in. I could almost talk myself into getting a 5DII at that price!

tempting, isn't it? If I trade in my 350D, I want to stay in the rebel line to have a super lightweight backpacking DSLR though, the #D line is just too heavy for me to want to backpack with it. I wonder how long till they have enough T2I's returned for service that they show up on the trade-in program/
    edited August 24, 2010
    update
    I called to trade in an old S30 for the 50D. (I'd already upgraded the S30 to a SX110 without knowing about the loyalty program, so I had an extra P&S lying around since I have definite pack rat tendencies).

The CS rep (866-443-8002) asked what was wrong with the S30, and I said the sliding lens cover doesn't always engage and let the lens extend or retract. She said, oh, the trade in camera has to be broken, that doesn't sound broken. I said well, when the lens won't extend, it won't work, and she said she'd transfer me to the repair department. The guy in the repair department said that sounded broken to him, and transferred me back to a different CS agent with the OK to take the malfunctioning S30 in trade.

I forgot to ask what accessories it comes with, but I'm assuming it must come with a battery, charger, etc. I hope so.

I also asked if there was a limit to how many times a customer could use the loyalty program, since i had replaced several cameras without knowing about the loyalty program, so had a handful of cameras sitting around. The CS guy said they try to keep it at 2 or 3 times a year.

Oh, and film SLRs qualify for the loyalty program as well.
  • HotspiceHotspice Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 21, 2010
    I just called and got the same prices as kolibri and was told there is only a 90day warranty. Has anyone that has taken advantage of this had any problems outside of the 90days?
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    I'm about to trade in a broken S400 I bought on ebay for $12 for a 5DMKII through this program. Just waiting for the broken camera to arrive. I'll update the thread once I try to do it. Hopefully they'll let me!
    Jer
    edited October 26, 2010
    I called them today and they said I could get the 5DMKII. I just have to wait till they get them in stock again.. now I play the waiting game.. just so you know they have 7D's in stock if anyone is looking for one of those.
    Jer
  • HotspiceHotspice Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 27, 2010
    I called them today and they said I could get the 5DMKII. I just have to wait till they get them in stock again.. now I play the waiting game.. just so you know they have 7D's in stock if anyone is looking for one of those.

Did they give you the pricing on those two models?
    edited October 27, 2010
    Hotspice wrote: »
    Did they give you the pricing on those two models?

I never asked about the 7D (I will next time I call) but the 5DMKII was $1599 + Tax with free second day air shipping.
    Jer
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    does anyone know if something like this exists at Canon Europe? I tried finding it on the website, but had no luck really ne_nau.gif
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited October 27, 2010
    ivar wrote: »
    does anyone know if something like this exists at Canon Europe? I tried finding it on the website, but had no luck really
    I don't have an answer for your question, but you might try calling Canon support in Europe and asking them. I was transferred from support (in the USA) to the loyalty program folks when I called about a (2nd) repair on my 40D and expressed concern about the having the same problem a second time.

--- Denise
    edited October 27, 2010
    They don't have it in europe. I know some people that have already called to find out. Sorry Ivar :/ guess you should move to the land of the free ;)
    Jer
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    They don't have it in europe. I know some people that have already called to find out. Sorry Ivar :/ guess you should move to the land of the free ;)
    I've lived there for over 4 years already, but you guys didn't want to keep me lol3.gif
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    Wait... The 5DII was $1599 when you trade in an S20? So you paid $12 to get ~$500 off a 5DII?
    edited October 27, 2010
    Wait... The 5DII was $1599 when you trade in an S20? So you paid $12 to get ~$500 off a 5DII?
    wings.gifyep
    Jer
    edited October 27, 2010
    wings.gifyep
    eek7.gif

Wow. But unfortunately (or fortunately, whichever way you look at it) it looks like the lower-end models aren't that much less than their used price.
    a1100 $72
    a470 $48
    sd1200 $86.40
    SD 960 $134.40
    SX120IS $119.59
    DSLR's
    T1i $455.99 (519.99 with kit lens)
    XS (319.99 with kit lens)
    XSI $335.99 (399.99 with kit lens)
    When I called back later to ask about trade-ins for my 350D, just for the heck of it, a different operator added this info
    40D $559.20 ($719.20 with 28-100 IS kit lens)
    50D $719.20 ($839.20 ditto)
    7D $1119.20
    5D11 $1679.20

I would want something like a 30D or 40D as a backup for my 1DII. Maybe I'll call and ask soon.
    edited October 27, 2010
    I would want something like a 30D or 40D as a backup for my 1DII. Maybe I'll call and ask soon.

Find the refurbished camera you want over at shop.usa.canon.com and if it's in stock - call right away. I'm patiently waiting for the 5dmkii to be in stock. They say their shipments are random, they just get em when they get em.
    Jer
    edited October 27, 2010
    Thanks, I didn't think about that.
    edited October 28, 2010
    Am I missing something? shop.usa.canon.com lists the 5DII under Refurbished Products
    edited October 28, 2010
    Am I missing something? shop.usa.canon.com lists the 5DII under Refurbished Products

What do you mean? Yeah its there. The 5dmkii you get from the clp is refurbished. If you watch for them to be in stock on there that's when you need to call.
    Jer