The snowiest place on Earth

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited September 18, 2008 in Landscapes
Mt. Baker in the North Cascades of Washington State (which set a world record for annual snowfall).

These are from last Saturday morning at Artist Point (elevation 5,140 feet), the elevation of the mountain itself is 10,781 feet, making it the third tallest in Washington behind Mt. Rainier and Mt. Adams.

371901476_Nosvu-L.jpg

371906965_XJivT-L.jpg

The road to the Artist Point trailhead is closed for most of the year, and I hadn't been there before, so I didn't have enough time to find any good compositions before the sun was rising. It looks like there will be some good fall color (it's starting to change already) so I'll be back before it closes in the middle of October. I hope.

Before I went up to Artist point I took a shot of Mt. Shuksan (only a mile or two away) about 20 minutes before dawn. The amount of noise is ridiculous as it was shot at ISO 6400 for 15 seconds, I didn't have time to do a star trails shot, but I wanted to record the amazing amount of stars that were viewable). It was too dark for me to see the mountain in the viewfinder so I had to guess at the focus (and missed, as you can tell).

371903012_6ZBdw-L.jpg

Comments

• davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2008
    Nice clap.gif That last one is especially beautiful. I'd only suggest spotting out the two brightest refections.
  • kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    some really nice silky light in the 1st!!! clap.gifclap.gif

beautiful!!
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    Beautiful as always. I also like the first the best because of the light and detail.
  • ritewingerritewinger Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    Snowiest
    Beautiful shots! I miss the west. However, I must take issue, I believe the snowiest place on earth is my driveway here in New Hampshire!
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    Ron, as always, amazing pics! bowdown.gif

I have started to get in the habit of looking through dgrin for your posts for PNW photo inspiration. :D
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    Nice clap.gif That last one is especially beautiful. I'd only suggest spotting out the two brightest refections.

Thanks David, I agree, those two reflections are a little distracting, I might go back and fix that.
    ritewinger wrote:
    Beautiful shots! I miss the west. However, I must take issue, I believe the snowiest place on earth is my driveway here in New Hampshire!

Then you need to go update Wikipedia :D
    greenpea wrote:
    Ron, as always, amazing pics! bowdown.gif

I have started to get in the habit of looking through dgrin for your posts for PNW photo inspiration. :D

Thanks Andrew, the Pacific Northwest is an embarrassment of riches for landscape photographers, and no matter how often I go out shooting, I always think I'm missing out on something, which is frustrating, but it also forces me to go out and keep looking.
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2008
    Great light on #1. Good work!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers