Options

Thoughts on the Canon 420ex flash?

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited September 21, 2008 in Accessories
I've googled + searched in here and read a few older comments about this flash (and also some old reviews etc) and seems most people liked it, but.... any current thoughts? I have the possibility of picking one of these up 2nd-hand at an ok price, so just wondering. I'd be using it with a Rebel XT.

At the moment I have no "flash technique" to speak of, so the fact it's automatic is - currently - a good thing. But will I "outgrow" it since it doesn't have manual settings, or can I workaround that with the FEC mode in the XT? Not entirely sure I understand how that works yet, but...

In any case, thanks for any advice/feedback (and/or suggestions of more places to read up on this!)

(ETA: Thanks for moving to correct forum!)

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited September 18, 2008
    I moved it. Not a problem.

The Canon 420EX is still a pretty good flash. I don't think it recognizes crop cameras so the zoom function is not quite as effective as the 430EX, but it will work fine otherwise.

I do still recommend the Sigma 500 series Super flashes. I think they represent a remarkable value. In particular, the Sigma EF-530 DG Super E-TTL is the appropriate model for your camera.

While the build quality is not as good as the 420EX and the user interface takes some getting used to, the Sigma flash has more power, better E-TTL II integration, manual operation (full down to 1/64th power). It can also serve as either master or slave in a wireless configuration (used with a second Sigma). I have 2 of the previous model and I like them a lot.

These were all shot with the Sigma flash:

96548387_jMEhp-O.jpg

143666524_Wz7Ga-O.jpg

143666541_gRvQT-O.jpg

151901242_P6DF4-O.jpg

233444706_bZZ4A-O.jpg

116991254_BhCuV-O.jpg

http://sigma4less.com/sigma-ef-530-dg-super-e-ttl-shoe-mount-flash-for-canon-eos-with-e-ttl-ii-operation.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    I've had the 420EX for quiet a while now, even when I had the XT.
    If you are looking for a simple yet no sense flash that you can bounce with the swivel head and use in high speed sync. It's a good flash.
    I haven't outgrown it in 3 or so years.

If you are a dedicated strobist and need to control power output and use it as a remote and such look elsewhere. Need a good, strong flash that you can bounce that 's easy to use? The 420EX is a good deal.
  • Options
    jrmyrnsmjrmyrnsm Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    I agree with Tee Why, the 420ex was my first flash that I got when I was still using my XTi and I was very happy with it. I've recently moved up to a 580ex mostly because I got a good deal but otherwise the 420ex is a good starter flash and they are usually pretty affordable.
    Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

My Website My Blog DPChallenge
  • Options
    thanks for the replies. My local store has one used for $140 (which from googling seems a reasonable price from a bricks and mortar store?) so I think I'll press ahead with that. Anything I should check for or ask about when I see it?
  • Options
    divamum wrote:
    thanks for the replies. My local store has one used for $140 (which from googling seems a reasonable price from a bricks and mortar store?) so I think I'll press ahead with that. Anything I should check for or ask about when I see it?

Take your camera in with you to the store and ask to test the flash on your camera. Most stores will oblige. Test as many of the flash features as possible before you purchase.

Do make sure you are aware of the terms of the sale before you buy.

If there is no user manual for the flash you can download the PDF here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=DownloadIndexAct

You need to select:

EOS (SLR) Camera Sytems
    Flashes
    Speedlite 420EX

The User Manual is in PDF further down on the page you are transferred to.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    boblinboblin Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    Make sure that the flash fires on your camera, and that it attaches properly. Check the lens of the flash for any burn marks that might indicate that it was overheated. Check to make sure that the battery door isn't broken(some people find it easy to do on the older door style). Check the battery compartment for any corrosion that might indicate that batteries were left in it for an extended period of time. If all checks out, enjoy your new flash.
    Some Cameras
    Some lenses
    Some extra gear
    Some willing and unwilling subjects to photograph.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    I have both a 420EX and a 430EX. The 420EX is limited in that it can only support ETTL, while the 430EX does indeed support manual. The 430EX also allows you to adjust power even under ETTL, useful for fill flash outdoors.

I would recommend a 420EX if you planned on getting more than one flash at some point, and you wanted the use the Canon IR systems, since it makes a great slave flash for the Canon IR flash system. So if you decide you wish to use off camera, remote flash, the 420EX is a good place to get started, since you can later buy a 580EX or an ST-E2 to trigger it remotely.

I purchased a 430EX as my primary flash, bought a 420EX as a secondary slave and later bought a ST-E2. The 580EX of course has more features and can act as a IR controller. It also has a PC port for use off camera with wired controls. But personally, I don't really see a need for a 580EX, especially as it is quite bulky. I will likely get monolights before I get a 580EX.

Now if you do not think you will use the Canon IR system, the 420 isn't all that attractive. I would suggest a 430EX as a dedicated flash, to use when you need a flash. For non-Canon IR options, be sure to check out the Strobist website, especially the Lighting 101 posts.

(btw,I paid $100 used for mine at the local upscale pro photo store)
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    (btw,I paid $100 used for mine at the local upscale pro photo store)

Interesting - I would love to find one for that price, but the listings on KEH and in Amazon marketplace were all in the $150+ region (with one as high as $289!), and even in the flea market here they seemed to be going for around $135 or so... Do you mind sharing what store you used ??? (just in case it's local for me, too!! :)

Thanks everybody for your comments - it does sound like this is exactly what I need. Appreciate the feedback, and the advice for what to check when I look at it over next week (this is a reputable local chain, so I'm no too worried - they stand by what they sell - but always good to know the best way to approach these things and what to look for/ask about. Thanks!)

PS Ziggy, thanks for the photos and the links on the Sigma. It looks like a great tool (love the dog photo!), but also seems to be a fair bit more expensive. I'm definitely only taking first steps flashwise, and the piggy bank is only jussssst stretching to that $140....
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    divamum wrote:
    At the moment I have no "flash technique" to speak of, so the fact it's automatic is - currently - a good thing. But will I "outgrow" it since it doesn't have manual settings, or can I workaround that with the FEC mode in the XT? Not entirely sure I understand how that works yet, but...
    I have a 420, 430 and 580 and I still use the 420 for macro work with my 350d (see bugs and spiders in my sig). You can control the flash output through FEC from the camera, but be aware that it's a bit kludgy having to go through the menus to set it.

43094118_QdAiq-L.jpg
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    divamum wrote:
    Do you mind sharing what store you used ??? (just in case it's local for me, too!! :)

The store was Southeastern Camera in Raleigh NC, but don't hold your breath, it was a chance find. It was also a rental unit, though it is in perfect condition.

Go to www.fredmiranda.com Look on the buy and sell forum. Lots of 420EXs that go for $100-$115. (you may need to join to search the forum)
  • Options
    cmason wrote:
    The store was Southeastern Camera in Raleigh NC, but don't hold your breath, it was a chance find. It was also a rental unit, though it is in perfect condition.

Go to www.fredmiranda.com Look on the buy and sell forum. Lots of 420EXs that go for $100-$115. (you may need to join to search the forum)

Thanks. Alas, not in North Carolina! And thanks too for the reminder about FM - I HAD forgotten to check there (in the event, nothing doing right now - there were a couple lower-priced ones a week or so ago, it seems, but they appear to have sold... Ah well!)

Thanks for the helpful responses, all!
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2008
    Little update on this:

It came in (had to be transferred from the the other store) and I picked it up today... for less than I expected! It had a couple of cosmetic dings and some leftover stickum on it (looked like it was residue from where somebody'd had some sticky-backed velcro or something - easily removed if I take the time to do so) so I talked them down to $120. Since it's a (reputable) local chain, it also has a 90 day guarantee etc etc etc, so I'm pleased to have acquired it for about the same as a private deal would have been.

As everybody said, it's a very nice, lightweight, solidly built, automatic flash. I wish it had the ability to quickly and easily dial down fill flash to 1/4 or 1/2, but I knew that before I bought it and for the price, I think it's a great addition to my setup as a beginner who still needs the automatic function. There's time to trade up if and when it becomes necessary!

Thanks again for all the input.
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2008
    Sounds like a good deal. Congratulations. clap.gif
    ziggy53