A hint of Aurora

ThorBobThorBob Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited September 21, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
A shot of the Aurora Borealis from last winter. Shot in North Norway where this is somewhat of an everyday (night) thing. All C&C welcomed!

217347515_cyAu7-L.jpg

Thor

Comments

• aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2008
    That picture is stunning!

We visited Alaska 2 years ago, and I desperately wanted to see the Aurora Borrealis, but the weather was uncooperative while we were there. Saw some minor bursts from the plane while returning home.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    That is magnificent. I live far enough north that I do get to see auroras once in a while. Aurora shots really benefit from the inclusion of some landscape elements, and yours is particularly spectacular because of that.

ann
  • eenusaeenusa Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    Wonderful shot.

Will be in Churchill Canada in November and hope to see our first aurora while there.

Any tips on shooting this beautiful phenomena would be appreciated.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    Gorgeous composition and color. Outstanding! clap.gif

-joel
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    Truly a striking picture. The reflection in the water and the landscape elements are really dynamic. Beautifully done.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    eenusa wrote:
    Wonderful shot.

Will be in Churchill Canada in November and hope to see our first aurora while there.

Any tips on shooting this beautiful phenomena would be appreciated.

Are you going to shoot polar bears? (Cannot think of any other reason to go to Churchill!!)

Aurora shots are like night shooting - long exposures. You will need tripod and remote shutter release.

ann
  • eenusaeenusa Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Are you going to shoot polar bears? (Cannot think of any other reason to go to Churchill!!)

Aurora shots are like night shooting - long exposures. You will need tripod and remote shutter release.

ann

Thanks, Ann. Yes, we're going to stay at the Tundra Buggy Lodge to see the polar bears. I do realize the Aurora shots would be at night, requiring long exposures. The lodge has open platforms between the cars that I hope to utilize should the opportunity to see the auroras present itself. Will have tripod; will look into remote shutter release.
    eenusa wrote:
    Thanks, Ann. Yes, we're going to stay at the Tundra Buggy Lodge to see the polar bears. I do realize the Aurora shots would be at night, requiring long exposures. The lodge has open platforms between the cars that I hope to utilize should the opportunity to see the auroras present itself. Will have tripod; will look into remote shutter release.

You can look here for aurora forecasts. I wish I could remember the settings I used last I shot auroras. I got it wrong, and so thought sharing what not to do would be helpful....headscratch.gif Pretty sure that my last try grossly underexposed things, so don't be afraid to bump ISO as necessary.
    The remote release will just eliminate any camera shake from your shots (or should). Of course, for night shooting, a little light to help you see when adjusting settings is useful.

I've been thinking about a polar bear tour too.....some day!

ann
  • CatoCato Registered Users Posts: 287 Major grins
    Can only say :jawdrop

Looks like another planet looming over the horizon - a glowing mirror of Earth, perhaps...
    http://catographer.smugmug.com/

Shooter on a shoestring.
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    What a beautiful surreal image, simply stunning colors and setting.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2008
    ThorBob wrote:
    A shot of the Aurora Borealis from last winter. Shot in North Norway where this is somewhat of an everyday (night) thing. All C&C welcomed!
    Thor

Thor, what an awesome sight that must be to see for real and not just an image............ it looks unreal.

What a shot clap.gif :ivar clap.gif ... I love it thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2008
    wow, what a nice shot. I like the colors.
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    Breath taking clap.gif!

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • ThorBobThorBob Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    Wow, thank you all so much for the great comments! Aurora during the winter months is quite a common sight up here, but I can say that I never tire of it. I do like this shot for its somewhat subtil lighting; Aurora can get a bit "wild" and at times be a tad over the top, colorwise IMO.

As for shooting tips, its quite simple: tripod, remote release and "bulb" mode. Aurora varies a lot in terms of strength and dynamics, so I typically just ballpark the exposures. If its flying across the sky real fast, I'd try a higher ISO in order to shorten the exposure time. Otherwise I try to stay around ISO 400-800 to keep color noise down.

I have more Aurora shots in my smugmug gallery HERE.

Thor
  • KondwaniKondwani Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    Hi Thor....
    Just seen your post and your smugmug gallery (I'm only 9 years late !!) and I am blown away by these images.
    The reason I searched for images of the Aurora Borealis is that my wife and I are planning a trip to Senja in March 2018. I would love to be able to return with images half as good as this (assuming the lights occur). One photographic question I have is whether the phase of the moon would have a negative effect on the image ie. would a full moon provide too much ambient light. I noticed that one of your images did show moonlight reflection in the water which did not distract from the Aurora.
    Hopefully you will pick this up and once again .....superb images.
    Regards John.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins

That is pretty much jaw dropping!