Options

Pro Account Questions

thdizzythdizzy Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
edited September 21, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I am considering going with SmugMug Pro but had 2 questions.

1. Am I able to access traffic (page view) info?
2. Am I able to have different headers for different sections? And if so, how difficult is that coding?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Todd Disraeli - Star, Idaho

Disraeli Photography

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river poisoned, and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money" Cree Indian Proverb

Comments

• Options
    edited September 18, 2008
    2 questions before I go Pro

2. Am I able to have different headers for different sections? And if so, how difficult is that coding?

Disraeli Photography

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river poisoned, and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money" Cree Indian Proverb
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    1. The best, and I think only way to access page views etc is to install Google Analytics and/or StatCounter. I think that Google Analytics is a little too complex, at least for my needs, but StatCounter is really easy to use and to track your traffic. They're both free.

2. Yes, you can have different headers for different categories, galleries, etc. There are tutorials here where all you have to do is copy and paste the code into your CSS box. Easy peasy.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    thdizzy wrote:

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Hi :)

At our pro level, you can install and use on your site StatCounter or Google Analytics - both free. Each of these gives you some pretty detailed information about visitors to your site. We have tutorials for both:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1092794
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1092684

You can have different headers, yes :) See our tutorial here:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1932865_Sok2o

If you have further questions, holler here!
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    Thanks Chuck - I currently use www.traffictrackerinfo.com . It does cost $$ but I love their Launch Pad compared to GA (google analytics) and the interface is so much more user friendly.

Do you know if it's possible to insert any tacking snippet on SmugMug pages or just the two you mentioned?

Thanks again!

Disraeli Photography

• Options
    Hi Barb...Suprised to see a fellow Boisean here clap.gif

I'll ask you the same question I asked Chuck...Do you know if it's possible to insert any tacking snippet on SmugMug pages or just the two you mentioned?

Also, since you are in Boise do you do any SmugMug customization for hire?

Thanks!

Disraeli Photography

• Options
    thdizzy wrote:
    Hi Barb...Suprised to see a fellow Boisean here clap.gif

I'll ask you the same question I asked Chuck...Do you know if it's possible to insert any tacking snippet on SmugMug pages or just the two you mentioned?

Also, since you are in Boise do you do any SmugMug customization for hire?

Thanks!

Hi,

Yep, next-door neighbors just about!

You can likely insert any tracking snippet. Unless it's something really funky, add it the same way you would the StatCounter or GA stuff. Is it script or just HTML?

Don't do customizing for hire, but we (SmugMug customizers) and the great DGrin community will be happy to help with any questions you have!
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    Barb wrote:
    Is it script or just HTML?

It's php script...I am 99.9% sure.

Disraeli Photography

• Options
    thdizzy wrote:
    It's php script...I am 99.9% sure.

Try placing it in your footer code box. If it has script tags, be sure to include those. If you have problems, let us know. Will also need a link to your SmugMug site :)
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    nickhaighnickhaigh Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    thdizzy wrote:

you can access Traffic info etc with a StatCounter (page counter)
    gives you great info where people have come from etc.

answer to the second...I beleive so, but don't quote me on that as i'm not 100%
    I'm sure that would be covered in a thread somewhere on here, would suggest doing a search thumb.gif
  • Options
    twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2008
    TrafficTracker vs Visistat
    I saw your comment about Traffic Tracker - checked out their website and their user interface is identical to visistat.com - which I use for another website - are these two sites affiliated - it almost looks like some dude photoshoped their icon onto visistat's pages -

TrafficTracker charges $59 per month ??? Visistat only charges $19 per month and it looks to be the identical product - very odd.
  • Options
    twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2008
    message to thdizzy - I got this reponse back from Visistat.com

"Traffictrackerinfo.com is a VisiStat reseller so yes it is a legitimate company and service. We have many resellers that White Label our services to sell to their own customers."

So hopefully you aren't paying traffictracker.com's $59 monthly fee when you can use Visistat directly for only $19 per month.

In any event - I've tried using Visistat on smugmug.com and it does not work - due to the way the java loads the image on the right side of the page - and even though a unique URL is created for each image - because the page itself does not 'refresh' Visistat is unable to accurately track your page/image views.

I have to use statcounter.com to ensure that each image that is viewed is recorded - but like you I much prefer Visistat's interface.

I wish smugmug had a much more robust tracking program - but they don't.
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2008

You're right twincities, it'd be great if SmugMug offered tracking like Traffic Tracker and/or VisiStat.

The main difference between Traffic Tracker and VisiStat is the non-automated website performance monitoring. Artificial intelligence is great but Traffic Tracker dedicates an audit manager to your site to physically perform site audits on a weekly basis. But you're right, same interface as VisiStat.

Kinda sad to hear that the snippet doesn't work with SmugMug.

Disraeli Photography

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    Google Analytics and Statcounter.com are both widely popular and fully supported by SmugMug thumb.gif

Tutorials on how to get 'em and install 'em on your Smuggy, here: http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1100284
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    thdizzy wrote:
    You're right twincities, it'd be great if SmugMug offered tracking like Traffic Tracker and/or VisiStat.

Please see the post just above this one.