Options

The Art Class

SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
edited September 21, 2008 in People
Shot up at a college this afternoon...drawing and ceramics department. Wow they sure use lots of props...LOL! Serious challenging light conditions....upped my flash exposure +1 with the 70-200 shots/snooted/bounced

375422552_Nav56-L.jpg

375405730_qb3Jc-L.jpg

375405704_93kPs-L.jpg

375405867_M5TcX-XL.jpg

375405670_626vH-L.jpg

375405818_R6Ghj-XL.jpg

375439648_WW9vz-XL.jpg

375470683_TPgPZ-L-1.jpg

375405767_nbFU2-L.jpg

375439734_9Vvyf-L-1.jpg

Thanks for looking! :lust
Swartzy:
NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
www.daveswartz.com
Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552

Comments

• Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2008
    School Days...
    Wonderful insight via your camera...great shots. How was it that you were invited?
    One and three are my favorites...that BW is really good...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    Ed911 wrote:
    Wonderful insight via your camera...great shots. How was it that you were invited?
    One and three are my favorites...that BW is really good...

Thanks Ed. Am working on a marketing project for school's usage. Possibly some larger prints for department visiblity/promotion.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    Wonderful!!! Very nice journalistic photos, great use of light ... great composition. Way to go! clap.gif

(Awwwww ... I miss my drawing classes :cry ...)
  • Options
    RisenhooverRisenhoover Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    These are great, #1,#4 and #5 are my favorites. I especially like the depth in #1, nice work!
    Perception is a strange and wonderful thing.
  • Options
    SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    Really nice shots. The lighting looks great in all but really liking the first one. Would like to know some tech info on these if you have time. Also which lens did you use for these shots?

This will be my third year doing the yearbook for my sons school so I can appreciate the classroom shots. I photograph elementary students and the challenge at times is to enter the classroom and not distract the teacher and students. I always tell them their picture will not be taken if they are not listening to the teacher. I love the shots where they are doing their work, art, etc and not looking at the camera with the cheesy smile. I think music and art class are my favorite to photograph.

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    very well lit crisp shots.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Wonderful!!! Very nice journalistic photos, great use of light ... great composition. Way to go! clap.gif

(Awwwww ... I miss my drawing classes :cry ...)

Thank you Angie! I love event shooting as it really makes one focus on what to convey in the images. So glad I've accomplished that per your kind comment! Heh, drawing class...they wouldn't even give me a pencil rolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Options
    These are great, #1,#4 and #5 are my favorites. I especially like the depth in #1, nice work!

Thanks Risenhoover! That table in the middle with all those things...golly, a guy could shoot stuff for hours there :D
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Options
    SitterS wrote:
    Really nice shots. The lighting looks great in all but really liking the first one. Would like to know some tech info on these if you have time. Also which lens did you use for these shots?

This will be my third year doing the yearbook for my sons school so I can appreciate the classroom shots. I photograph elementary students and the challenge at times is to enter the classroom and not distract the teacher and students. I always tell them their picture will not be taken if they are not listening to the teacher. I love the shots where they are doing their work, art, etc and not looking at the camera with the cheesy smile. I think music and art class are my favorite to photograph.

Shane

Hey Shane, thanks! Ok...the set up/specs:

I could have brought in lights/umbrellas, etc...but wanted something different....selective lighting. These were all shot using flash "on board". I have a black foamy piece that I velcro 1/2 around my flash head. Then, looking at from which direction I wish the light to enter, simply spin the head/angle and so on to achieve that look. After awhile you get to know based on distance how much to "ride" the flash exposure and where you are bouncing it. Fortunately there were white walls. The ceilings were high as they converted an old gym into an art room. Using the foamy 1/2 snoot allowed for specific lighting.

The camera was set to manual of course. ISO 500 (yea, could have done 800 to save the batteries but wanted cleaner images). I used 2 lenses. This series was with the 70-200 f/4. Aperture was from f/4 to f/5. FEC was from 0 to +1 depending on where I was in relation to subject(s) and how much light to position where. Shutter speed was for the most part at 1/160th. This still allowed for enough ambient light to come in but what was most important to me is getting proper exposure. Sure, these could have been shot at 1/60th but with a 70-200 zoomed at 200.....forget it...didn't want to deal with camera blur nor subject blur. In fact, unless I'm going for some artistic thing with 2nd curtain sync and dragging the shutter, the lowest I let the shutter speed get is 1/100.....once in a while if everyone is static, 1/80th.

Getting enough light is most important as your focus, detail, sharpness, color, etc. will make or break. This project, unlike a wedding, did not require getting a ton of ambient "mood" so to speak, so letting the flash do the work did well.

BTW, the flash was set to ETTL which made it easier when moving around the room. If you are stationary you can dial in using Manual on the flash then have consistent exposures every shot.....:D but you know I'm all about variety...Laughing.gif

Thanks again and good luck with your school shoots!
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Options
    Qarik wrote:
    very well lit crisp shots.

Thanks for stoppin by Qarik! :D
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    thumb.gif great work and ty for the explination on 1/2 snoot and light bounce.
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    I love how they don't seem to notice or care that you're there. You caught real moments and I like the lighting and processing. What a fun job! And you did it so well!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2008
    Nice series, David! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    These are great nice documentary
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    I like them! Makes me miss art class back in high school ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2008
    -Some great shots Swartzy!!! I love #10...the intensity on her face makes the shot.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • Options
    BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2008
    While they may not be the best of the set, I love the intense expressions on the students' faces in #9 & 10. thumb.gif