Options

Curse you Canon!

KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
edited April 18, 2005 in Cameras
After spending some time with the 35 1.4 L I bought off Andy, I now have Prime Lust disease. Fast? Oh yeah. Tack sharp? Oh yeah? Great in low light? Low light? This lens doesn't know what low light is.

Now I need the 24 1.4 L, the 50 1.4, and the 85 1.2 L. I'll look at my Tamron 28-75 2.8, and laugh, telling it that it's not worthy.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    you forgot one....
    Khaos wrote:
    After spending some time with the 35 1.4 L I bought off Andy, I now have Prime Lust disease. Fast? Oh yeah. Tack sharp? Oh yeah? Great in low light? Low light? This lens doesn't know what low light is.

Now I need the 24 1.4 L, the 50 1.4, and the 85 1.2 L. I'll look at my Tamron 28-75 2.8, and laugh, telling it that it's not worthy.

canon 200 f/1.8L
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    Khaos wrote:

A few words on the 85mm f/1.2L which I used and was ambivalent about and then sold. I loved the low light performance and the optical quality but there is a sacrifice to get it in the speed of the focusing. This is a big heavy lens and the focusing is not the voice coil USM but is a rotating USM that is noisy and much much slower. It is a full stop difference from the 1.2L to the 85 f/1.8 but it is also a huge $$$ difference and the f/1.8 will have the lightening fast voice coil USM.

While I only owned the f/1.2L, I suspect Andy has owned both so if he wants to chime in ....
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    I reckon the 1.8 is fine. Esp. given the insane price of the 1.2.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2005
    cmr164 wrote:

While I only owned the f/1.2L, I suspect Andy has owned both so if he wants to chime in ....

:nah i haven't owned the 85 f/1.2 but i've shot with it a few times. yer right, it's heavy and slow... like me night-shooting after rib dinner lol3.gif the bokeh is really superb, though, and for certain applications (like portraits) it's a fine fine lens. you wouldn't use it for sports though. well, maybe for a chess championship, in a church basement lol3.gif

imo, unless one is doing portraits, in a large studio or doing outdoor portraits, the 85 f/1.2 is really not worth it over the stunning performance of the 85 f/1.8. i've shot with this lens plenty. the 1.8 is lighter, cheaper by 75% or thereabouts, and faster on the focus. build quality is excellent.

khaos, i suggest the 50 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.8 as stunning canon primes, you won't be disappointed with either (or both!).

next stop? in order of affordability: the 100mm macro f/2.8, the 135L, the 400 f/5.6L, the 200 f/2.8L.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    When you get the long ones, make sure you get the widest opening you can, the aperture thingy. That just means, spend as much as you can for a lens.

I have the 300 f4, and Rutt sent me his 2 X 11 extender to use with it for birds.
    I didn't know what was wrong when it wouldn't focus. Good thing I was home, I went to FM to see what they were saying. Sure enough, it will only focus with lenses that are faster than mine.

I wonder if that is where I am supposed to tape something. But I am not going to ruin Rutt's extender. I still took it out today, missed the osprey shot where he was flying right down the road with a whole fish in his claws. Then I missed the shot, by then I was out of the car, too, but I forgot to focus and I missed the shot where he came back by with his ratty looking fish.

I did have the monopod on the whole time. It is doable, but I would rather have the faster lens.

Just spend as much as possible, you will be fine!:D

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Oh sure, taunt me with the big juicy, not made anymore, have to import and pay mucho dinero for lens.umph.gif
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2005
    andy wrote:

khaos, i suggest the 50 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.8 as stunning canon primes, you won't be disappointed with either (or both!).

next stop? in order of affordability: the 100mm macro f/2.8, the 135L, the 400 f/5.6L, the 200 f/2.8L.
    I was planning on the 50 f/1.4, thanks to all for the info on the not worth the money info on the 85, I'll get the step slower one. I already own and love the 100 macro. It's taken over as my flower lens. I'm ordering the 400 5.6 L this week from KEH.

I'll see over time whether I will get the 135 or 200 primes. Right now I'm extremely happy with my 70-200 2.8 IS L. I need to find another Canon person in my area that has these lenses so I can try them. Youngstown doesn't have anything in the way of lens rentals.

I wonder why the 85 is so slow? The thing that amazed me about the 35 L and the 70 200 L was how lightening fast they focused.
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    ... thanks to all for the info on the not worth the money info on the 85, I'll get the step slower one. ...
    I wonder why the 85 is so slow? The thing that amazed me about the 35 L and the 70 200 L was how lightening fast they focused.
    Lets not go overboard here. I got some fabulous night shots with the f/1.2L including in dark performance halls with fast moving subjects. The only time it is really an issue is when focus changes over a large range or if it is so dark that the lens is hunting.

Not the best example but the quickest found...
    Done with the 2MP DCS520 (older gen dSLR)
    f/1.2 , 1/125 , 85mm
    TurkishDancer04_s.jpg
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2005
    andy wrote:
    :nah i haven't owned the 85 f/1.2 but i've shot with it a few times. yer right, it's heavy and slow... like me night-shooting after rib dinner lol3.gif the bokeh is really superb, though, and for certain applications (like portraits) it's a fine fine lens. you wouldn't use it for sports though. well, maybe for a chess championship, in a church basement lol3.gif

imo, unless one is doing portraits, in a large studio or doing outdoor portraits, the 85 f/1.2 is really not worth it over the stunning performance of the 85 f/1.8. i've shot with this lens plenty. the 1.8 is lighter, cheaper by 75% or thereabouts, and faster on the focus. build quality is excellent.

What would you suggest as best lens for flower shots? Using the 20D. I have seen quite a few people saying the 100 f2.8... Lens for flowers is next on my list.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    lens for flower shots
    ShebaJo wrote:
    What would you suggest as best lens for flower shots? Using the 20D. I have seen quite a few people saying the 100 f2.8... Lens for flowers is next on my list.

Thanks!

well now, that sure depends :D what's your pleasure?

wide angle?

telephoto

macro

really there's no one lens for the job.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2005
    andy wrote:
    well now, that sure depends :D what's your pleasure?

wide angle?

telephoto

macro

really there's no one lens for the job.

Sure thing Andy. You can shoot flowers with a 20D and a fisheye lens if you want. In fact I've seen some great, "lying on your belly in the dirt with the sun in your eyes" fisheye / flower shots!

If you're referring to the 85mm lineup for flowers, then well, why? The 100mm, 1x, razor sharp L lens is just 15mm (well okay 24mm on the 20D) away from the 85mm... Since we're on the topic of the 85mm focal length currently I'd reccomend the 100mm.

But yeah, anything from super-wide to super-tele can get you great flower shots. I've shot at 17mm , 600mm, and everywhere in between. In fact this shot here was taken with my 24-85mm at 85mm, coincidentally!

16068022-M.jpg

Primes are nice, and pretty much the only way to go for 1x macro work, but I must voice a tad of opinion when I say that as far as the 85mm and longer primes go, well, the 70-200mm lenses (nikon and canon) are pieces of art, and while I'm pretty sure I might be able to put an 85mm f/1.8 to use every now and then, I don't think I could justify such a big cost (when taking into consideration that you'd also need 135mm and/or 200mm primes to equal the 70-200) ...as compared to the relatively cheap 70-200mm zoom. And I have no idea why these ENORMOUS 200mm lenses are made, considering the 70-200's very respectable f/2.8 apeture along with IS / VR, not to mention the relatively TINY size...

-matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2005
    I highly recommend the 50 F/1.4 I'm very sad that it is currently being repaired because it took a nasty fall :cry
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2005
    NICE... I have the 24-85, will try it on some flowers. I still want to get a macro, but this may due until I can afford what I really want. THANKS

Sure thing Andy. You can shoot flowers with a 20D and a fisheye lens if you want. In fact I've seen some great, "lying on your belly in the dirt with the sun in your eyes" fisheye / flower shots!

If you're referring to the 85mm lineup for flowers, then well, why? The 100mm, 1x, razor sharp L lens is just 15mm (well okay 24mm on the 20D) away from the 85mm... Since we're on the topic of the 85mm focal length currently I'd reccomend the 100mm.

But yeah, anything from super-wide to super-tele can get you great flower shots. I've shot at 17mm , 600mm, and everywhere in between. In fact this shot here was taken with my 24-85mm at 85mm, coincidentally!

16068022-M.jpg

Primes are nice, and pretty much the only way to go for 1x macro work, but I must voice a tad of opinion when I say that as far as the 85mm and longer primes go, well, the 70-200mm lenses (nikon and canon) are pieces of art, and while I'm pretty sure I might be able to put an 85mm f/1.8 to use every now and then, I don't think I could justify such a big cost (when taking into consideration that you'd also need 135mm and/or 200mm primes to equal the 70-200) ...as compared to the relatively cheap 70-200mm zoom. And I have no idea why these ENORMOUS 200mm lenses are made, considering the 70-200's very respectable f/2.8 apeture along with IS / VR, not to mention the relatively TINY size...

-matt-
  • Options
    UnicornUnicorn Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    ShebaJo wrote:

Thanks!
    The 100 2.8 is very well respected and also makes a great portrait lens. If you are going to shoot a lot of macro..... good investment.

If you [already]have one of the 70-200 L's, you might try the 500D close up lens, for $179, you can get very nice results.

I just picked one up and will post pics this weekend.