Options

The Prisoner

ZarathustraZarathustra Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited September 22, 2008 in Go Figure
370056005_vtJeb-L.jpg

I'm just looking for some feedback on this one but I'm not sure that it is worthy of the Whipping Post. Thanks in advance for the critiques!

Comments

• Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2008
    I like it a lot. I'm a novice but I think I'd like a bit more light/contrast. what was your lighting setup?
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    I am not sure I see him as a prisoner. Or of even to his mind. ne_nau.gif I kinda see him in between a canonball into the water.

Firstly that wart or black head on his left arm is pretty distracting. I think if you were going for a prisoner of his mind, maybe have him show some facial agony.

+1 with a more drastic lighting!

Good concept though! thumb.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Thanks Patti. The lighting setup was a single EX150 strobe upper camera left through a softbox. I was trying to capture a portrait of depression so that is why I underexposed it and left it as gray as possible.
  • Options
    Hey Moogle Peeper. Thanks for the criticism. The mole on the arm probably could have been shopped out if I'd taken the time to. It didn't really pop out at me as something that needed to be done but I can definitely see how it could be distracting to some. As for the pose looking like a cannon ball, I can see that too. I was going more for fetal position. As I said, I wanted to do a portrait of depression which is a very self-centered, inward facing disorder so I did not want to show the face at all.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    Then maybe a slightly different angle to get some of the front of the body. And some tension in the forearms where he is gripping himself?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2008
    yes..just bit more contrast and/or brightening in my eyes..also ask him to shave his legs too!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2008
    Qarik wrote:
    yes..just bit more contrast and/or brightening in my eyes..also ask him to shave his legs too!

shave his legs???ne_nau.gif Why would you want him to do that if this is supposed to be a male figure?

I think the idea of the shoot is great. I would add a little side light, maybe using a reflector, from the left. This would hopefully add to your concept of fetal position showing the arms and hands gripping the legs and maybe some distress in the facial area.

Even with no change, i still think this picture promotes thought and interest. Nice jobthumb.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2008
    Prisoner
    Not too certain about the whipping post...though perhaps prisoners would say otherwise.

its art, and I like it~
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2008
    Thanks for the comments & critiques everyone! Everyone seems to agree that more contrast or brightness is needed on this shot so I will try to keep that in mind the next time I work with this model. And no, I'm not shaving my legs!