Options

New Olympus DSLR Announced

swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
edited September 25, 2008 in Cameras
This is exciting news for us Olympus users. Olympus has announced a new "tweener" camera that will fit between the E-520 and the E-3. It will be smaller in size than the E-3 but will inherit many of its professional-level functions. There has been speculation about a tweener camera for years, so no one has gotten their hopes too high with this round of rumors. But, they appear to be true this time. There is no info on the specs, but many speculate it will inherit the new 12mp sensor used in the first line of micro four thirds cameras.
This is exciting for me! I have not been able to afford an E-3, and I have always felt it was a little too large for my tastes. I think this is very promising! Here is more info:

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2008b/nr080922fourthirdse.cfm

also:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08092207olympus_four%20thirds.asp

nr080922fourthirdse_02.jpg

Comments

• Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2008
    I'll be picking one up deal.gif
  • Options
    It seems it will function slightly differently. The nob is on the other side of the camera. Also added a turn wheel thing near the shutter button. My 510 doesn't have that.
  • Options
    rokklymrokklym Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    Looks promising!
    www.lonewolfstudios.us
    Olympus E3 w HLD4, E520, E510 11-22mm, 50-200mm,35mm macro, 14-42mm, 40-150, FL50R & FL36R
    http://rokklym.smugmug.com/
    We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life,to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment no matter what.
    - George Santayana, "The philosophy of travel"
  • Options
    Here is a pic of the E-510 next to the E-3. This shows how different the size is between these two cameras. A "tweener" makes sense to me.
    sidebyside1-001.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2008
    Here is a pic of the E-510 next to the E-3. This shows how different the size is between these two cameras. A "tweener" makes sense to me.
    sidebyside1-001.jpg

My main concern is the size of the viewfinder on the E-A1, it looks like it's going be bigger than the E-XXX but I dont know if it will get to the level of the E-3's which is amazing. And then which sensor it will be using/how it performs

the other question is by the time it comes out how much will I be able to lift, because that nikon D700 is always calling and with the introduction of the 5D mkII it should be dropping a bit giving me som head room for lenses, having an actual camera budget for the first time is a blessing and a curse. But it is giving me something to research while im stuck here with a cold so thats good
  • Options
    DPReview said this about it after seeing the current mock up version:
    "Also on show is the much further advanced 'tweener' model that will sit between the E-520 and E-3 in the company's Four Thirds DSLR range (which we posted live from its unveiling on Monday). It's similar in size to the E-3 and will be available in the first quarter of 2009."

I am sure its viewfinder will be better than the 400 & 500 series, not sure how it will compare to the E-3. However, this camera should be very well priced. I imagine in the $1000-$1200 range. With features the E-3 has and likely a new sensor that sounds like a real winner to me.
    Extra money could be used for some of the amazing Zuiko lenses.
  • Options
    DPReview said this about it after seeing the current mock up version:
    "Also on show is the much further advanced 'tweener' model that will sit between the E-520 and E-3 in the company's Four Thirds DSLR range (which we posted live from its unveiling on Monday). It's similar in size to the E-3 and will be available in the first quarter of 2009."

I am sure its viewfinder will be better than the 400 & 500 series, not sure how it will compare to the E-3. However, this camera should be very well priced. I imagine in the $1000-$1200 range. With features the E-3 has and likely a new sensor that sounds like a real winner to me.
    Extra money could be used for some of the amazing Zuiko lenses.

The E3 is ~1350 on Cameta now so Im hoping it would be closer to 800-1000 for the E-A1 otherwise I might just suck it up and get the E3, when they have the refurbished demo units on there I think they sold for just a hair over $1000
  • Options
    The E3 is ~1350 on Cameta now so Im hoping it would be closer to 800-1000 for the E-A1 otherwise I might just suck it up and get the E3, when they have the refurbished demo units on there I think they sold for just a hair over $1000
    Good point. I am thinking with the recent drops in the E3 and the new tweener model coming if they are also planning on replacing the E3 this next year as well. Who knows. But if the tweener is less than $1000 I am going to be drooling for it I am sure.
  • Options
    InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2008
    Hmmmm..... It looks like a smaller, plastic(er) version of the E-3. Looking at the larger top hump of the camera, I hope this means they have a bigger VF with 100% coverage. Do I want this? I'm not sure - both the Panasonic G1 and the upcoming Olympus m43 offering have my interest (and in spite of my dislike of the look of the thing, the G1 does seem to have *everything* in a smaller package).

All in all, the Olympus line up for Photonika is disappointing. There's an awful lot of talk and very little substance. Of course, we've seen this from Olympus before and they've subsequently delivered. Still, it's disquieting given that we live in interesting times in quite the literal sense.
  • Options
    rokklymrokklym Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited September 25, 2008
    I'm also hoping for a better view finder than what I have on my E-510 & E-520, Something similar to the E3 would be great. The current viewfinder on the E series is a pain for me since I'm left eye dominant. Looking at the right side for the info doesn't feel right.
    www.lonewolfstudios.us
    Olympus E3 w HLD4, E520, E510 11-22mm, 50-200mm,35mm macro, 14-42mm, 40-150, FL50R & FL36R
    http://rokklym.smugmug.com/
    We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life,to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment no matter what.
    - George Santayana, "The philosophy of travel"
  • Options
    toronto18toronto18 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    I wonder what the differences will be between this new E-XX model and the E-3?

Other than being a bit smaller and no magnesium body??? hmm....

Will it make the E-3 redundant?
  • Options
    toronto18 wrote:
    I wonder what the differences will be between this new E-XX model and the E-3?

Other than being a bit smaller and no magnesium body??? hmm....

Will it make the E-3 redundant?

I really have no idea, but it would make sense to me that Olympus is thinking about an E-3 upgrade that make put it a step higher than it is. Maybe they will make an E-4 with a built-in battery grip or something. Even though the E-3 has more features and more professional build than any other camera within $1000 of its price, it is still not seen as a "professional" camera by some people. Why is beyond me. That camera is simply amazing. But, maybe the upgrade will be taking it up a notch further and the E-XX will fill the gap just under where the E-3 sits now.

Who knows. Pure opinion, but, would make sense to me.
  • Options
    Some new photos were posted of the camera on DPReview. They show that this camera will have an articulating vari-angle screen, and a control panel on top of the camera. Something the current 500 series cameras do not have. Here they are:

DSC_1352-001.jpg

DSC_1356-001.jpg
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    Aside from thesrticulating screen, that bottom photo looks a lot like my KM 7D's.....meaning the placement of dials and touch pads/buttons..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website