Options

??????? Stats

aLoha TimaLoha Tim Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited September 25, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I've been using Google Analytics for several months now. One thing I'm certain of is the numbers on my Smugmug stats page bears no resemblance to what I see on Google Analytics.

For instance I've noticed Galleries I've put into a community generate no stats on my Google Analytics. This is disappointing because I'd like to know where in the world I'm getting my visitors. :dunno

Then there's the discrepancy I find on my Smugmug stats page. So far this month 10087 photos have been "viewed". However, on the details page, if I just take the totals for Small,Medium,Large,XLarge,X2,X3and Original. That total is 12124.:dunno

Google Analytics tells me I've had 3617 Pageviews.:scratch
I can appreciate some discrpancy in the numbers but this is a bit much.

Smugmug can't do anything about how Analytics counts things but I'd like to see more accurate numbers from Smugmug.

http://pa-iki-i.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2008
    JMHO but I don't think SmugMug stats are very reliable and Google Analytics is a little to complex for my needs. You may want to try StatCounter. It's free and easy to use and you can see exactly where your visitors are coming from right down to the city they live in and exactly how they got to your site.

Again, JMHO.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    Smug EricSmug Eric Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 333
    edited September 18, 2008
    Hey Tim, the problem is an ajax discrepancy between what SmugMug counts as a view and what Analytic does.
    Analytics will count a pageview as 1 even if the person looks at your whole gallery. It just depends on how they are going through it. So if they hit the next button all through the gallery it will come up as one page view.
    Our system will tally up every size and shape of the photo that was viewed.
    We had a whole thread on this earlier when we made some of the changes. The important parts are around this area http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=77444&page=4
    If only we could make Google work the same way we do...

If we can help anymore just hit us up here.
    Eric
    Support Hero and Customeister
    http://www.smugmug.com/help
  • Options
    aLoha TimaLoha Tim Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited September 22, 2008
    Smug Eric wrote:
    Analytics will count a pageview as 1 even if the person looks at your whole gallery. It just depends on how they are going through it. So if they hit the next button all through the gallery it will come up as one page view.
    Our system will tally up every size and shape of the photo that was viewed.

I figured as much. Clicking the URL's in content view usually bring up the gallery not a specific picture. It doesn't explain why galleries I've associated with a community aren't counted. Unless the tracking code is stripped out or no longer valid because of the linking to a community.
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2008
    JMHO but I don't think SmugMug stats are very reliable and Google Analytics is a little to complex for my needs. You may want to try StatCounter. It's free and easy to use and you can see exactly where your visitors are coming from right down to the city they live in and exactly how they got to your site.

Again, JMHO.

http://www.statcounter.com/ right?

Do you have to embed the code on each page / gallery or just at your main smugmug page?
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2008
    jhelms wrote:
    http://www.statcounter.com/ right?

Do you have to embed the code on each page / gallery or just at your main smugmug page?

You typically put the code in your footer which will then be active on every page in your site (as long as it isn't set for "hide owner"). You need it active in every page in your site so that it can record all the hits on your site.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    You typically put the code in your footer which will then be active on every page in your site (as long as it isn't set for "hide owner"). You need it active in every page in your site so that it can record all the hits on your site.

Cool - I signed up... is SM 'xhtml compliant'?

OPTIONAL - HTML Only CounterIt is not recommended to choose this option as it will not be possible to record the referring link, page title and other information. Only choose this if you web host does not allow you to insert javascript into your webpage. We recommend you move to a web host that will give you proper access to your website.OPTIONAL - XHTML COMPLIANTOnly choose this option if your website must be XHTML compliant.
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist