Options

Selective coloring shot

PaulcaoPaulcao Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
edited September 25, 2008 in Weddings
Just wanted to share a shot and get some feedback. I really think it's hit or miss when hit comes to selective coloring. So, what do you think? Is this hit or miss? c&c is welcomed.

332489669_GGVQK-M-1.jpg

Hit or Miss? 25 votes

Hit!
16% 4 votes
Miss...
84% 21 votes

Comments

• Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2008
    No photo......is sharing turned on?
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    Swartzy wrote:
    No photo......is sharing turned on?
    whoops...duh...is it now?eek7.gif
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    Im not a fan of SC so I'll do you a favor and not vote:D
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    I don't like the effect either and it certainly doesn't work here.

It's funny have every now and again a bride will think it is the coolest thing and "OMG I just have to have that - like you know, like the flowers in colour and everything else like black and white" :D

Luckily I haven't come across one for a couple of years now.
  • Options
    picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    I like it a lot, I think you did a great job on this photo! I don't care that some photogs. don't like it. I find that the clients, their family and friends LOVE it when they see a photo processed this way, and that's what really matters. I think it is a great way to bring out a certain part of the photo. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    Im not a fan of SC so I'll do you a favor and not vote
    hum...maybe I should have made that an option.ne_nau.gif Then I again I guess it'd always be 'miss.' Thanks for being courteousthumb.gif
    david_h wrote:
    I don't like the effect either and it certainly doesn't work here.

It's funny have every now and again a bride will think it is the coolest thing and "OMG I just have to have that - like you know, like the flowers in colour and everything else like black and white" :D

Luckily I haven't come across one for a couple of years now.

Out of curiosity, since you're saying it doesn't work here, in your opinion do you think it works in any photos?headscratch.gif
    I like it a lot, I think you did a great job on this photo! I don't care that some photogs. don't like it. I find that the clients, their family and friends LOVE it when they see a photo processed this way, and that's what really matters. I think it is a great way to bring out a certain part of the photo. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks! I think it is all about whether the client likes it or not. (There are however things I will not do just to please a client). And Like I said before, I think it's hit or miss. Honestly though, often times it's more miss though. I really am torn with this effect. :ps
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    I think SC rarely works in portraiture. Among other trendy and gimmicky treatments, I don't even offer it.
  • Options
    picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    Thanks! I think it is all about whether the client likes it or not. (There are however things I will not do just to please a client). And Like I said before, I think it's hit or miss. Honestly though, often times it's more miss though. I really am torn with this effect. :ps

In my opinion it works with this photo, it's an "all about me moment for the bride" anyways and her being highlighted/color brings it out even more. I guarantee if she sees it she will love it! I agree that some things you just don't do, but I have not come across that yet. I think the more times it's a miss is with other photographers not your clients. It definitely does depend on the photo that is for sure. I like SC with some weddings pics because it really is all about the bride and groom and SC can really bring that out.
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    Paulcao wrote:

Out of curiosity, since you're saying it doesn't work here, in your opinion do you think it works in any photos?headscratch.gif
    Hey Paul,

I think that for SC to work, there has to be a good reason to do it in the first place.

For instance, I've seen some shots where the bride might be wearing really bright coloured shoes under her dress. Have just the shoes in colour and the rest of the shot BW might work. There could also be other examples with the details at the wedding.

I can see some of the thinking about your shot - trying to make the bride be a more prominent part of the shot. For me a better way to achieve this is to open your lens up to f1.4 (1.2 if you are a Canon person) and make sure the bride is the only person in focus.

If one of our brides was to ask for SC, I'd certainly do one or two - probably with just the flowers or some other detail in colour - but like I said it's not very common.

Of course, it is all very subjective. If you like it, or better yet your clients are lining up to pay you for it - more power to you :D:D
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback everybody,

It's definitely a lot to think about. From talking with the couple, I think they will like it. If the client ends up not liking the treatment of the photo, then I'd definitely change it. As far is it being a part of what I offer, I'm still not sure. I don't think I'm ready to rule it out completely quite yet. I must say, Clients have a different 'eye' than other photographers. I really appreciate all the feedback. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    SC is alright when the color is applied to the correct portion of the photo. This is a one such example.

But, taken in total, I think I would have processed this photo differently - I really don't like the various affects you've used here.

But, that's just me....
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    I do a good bit of SC for most wedding pretty much all my wedding customers at their request. I do a few here or there for my portfolio and some that they request aren't necessarily what I would have chosen, but they are the ones paying.

For many images that I like the technique on, most are some details that add another dimension to the black & white. Large areas like you have here just seem a bit much. A bouquet, a boutineer (sp?), some stawberries on a cake, etc tend to be what I will do.

But I definitely would agree that a shallow depth of field can really do the best job to isolate a subject, but sometimes you only realize you wish you would have done that after the fact.

I am leaning towards miss on this one.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2008
    Selective coloring. As artists/photographers we hate it, but clients almost always love it. I do at least one in a wedding package and it's always very popular, let's face it, we think it's tacky, and they love it...last I looked it was them who paid our bills! It's never something that I highlight in a portfolio, but it's something that I'll do because it's what they want.

Now in this context, personally I don't like it...don't get me wrong it's a beautiful photo...but I don't think that it works with what you've chosen to keep in color, when I first look at it, it looks a little creepy because everyone else has different skin..they look almost alien like next to her. I personally keep my selected tid bit to something like flowers, or shoes or something that is not part of the person, I really just find it quite creepy otherwise. It's really a personal choice though. But you asked!
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2008
    Most definitely, again, I really appreciate the feedback.
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2008
    Post Processing...
    What Scott said...ditto.

And I don't know...but it seems to be a bit soft for my tastes. But, that's just me...or maybe my monitor...as I am on my laptop this morning.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    ashton25ashton25 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited September 24, 2008
    If this photo didn't have SC it would be something I would have thrown away.

IMO I think SC is a good way to salvage a bad/ok pics. It's an ok effect but, I've seen so much of it and so much of the HDR pics too and because of that it becomes boring. I personally don't offer it in my work.
  • Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2008
    david_h wrote:
    Hey Paul,

I think that for SC to work, there has to be a good reason to do it in the first place.

There you go!

I agree completely. It can be done to highlight something... but it needs to have a purpose. If the shot is boring and you added selective color to 'spice it up'... thats weak-sauce. (says the man who has way to many selective-color shots from '06 on his website... headscratch.gif )
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • Options
    ashton25 wrote:
    If this photo didn't have SC it would be something I would have thrown away.

IMO I think SC is a good way to salvage a bad/ok pics. It's an ok effect but, I've seen so much of it and so much of the HDR pics too and because of that it becomes boring. I personally don't offer it in my work.

I duno about that.... Just my opinion, but I liked the shot out of camera. It was also one of the client's favorite shots...so yeah.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    Paulcao wrote:
    I duno about that.... Just my opinion, but I liked the shot out of camera. It was also one of the client's favorite shots...so yeah.ne_nau.gif

As a chick, this shot has appeal. And I like the angle. I'd personally like it better as just a black and white, rather than SC.

Caroline