Options

Custom Hostname

jowillejowille Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited April 19, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I just purchased a professional account and obtained a domain thru GoDaddy. I have set it per the instructions on the smugmug help and if I type in my url;

jowillephoto.com

it will take me to my smugmug site. But, if I type in www.jowillephoto.com I get a message saying that it cannot find the DNS. It does this in Firefox and Internet explorer. In my account settings on smugmug I have typed in www.jowillephoto.com. Am I missing something obvious? Sorry if this is too simple, but I am a newbie at this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 10, 2005
    jowille wrote:
    I just purchased a professional account and obtained a domain thru GoDaddy. I have set it per the instructions on the smugmug help and if I type in my url;

jowillephoto.com

it will take me to my smugmug site. But, if I type in www.jowillephoto.com I get a message saying that it cannot find the DNS. It does this in Firefox and Internet explorer. In my account settings on smugmug I have typed in www.jowillephoto.com. Am I missing something obvious? Sorry if this is too simple, but I am a newbie at this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill
    It takes a while for full propagation around the net to take place. I can see your site from here using that url, but it is possibly not everyone can yet. It usually takes somewhere between 12-48 hours or so for this prpagation to be completed. Once this is done you should be able to see your site from everywhere.

This sounds like your situation and I hope this helps.
    Cheers

-don
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    Thanks Don,

Are you seeing it with www.jowillephoto.net? I'll give it time and see what happens.

Thanks,

Bill
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2005
    Bill,
    Welcome to dgrin and your .com is working now! clap.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    thanks! I have a lot of learning and work to do! I think this forum will be a big help. :):

I just started to do some equestrian photography, so I'm practicing with them. Am gearing up to do little league photos. Should be fun!

Bill
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    jowille wrote:
    Thanks Don,

Are you seeing it with www.jowillephoto.net? I'll give it time and see what happens.

Thanks,

Bill
    Not from my place yet. I have seen instances where it only takes a few hours or so, others, up to a few days. FWI, if you use private registration or change to private registration, the time it takes is usually a bit longer.

Cheers

-don
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    Thanks again Don, I did use private registration, so I will give it more time.

This stuff is fun, but it is a nice day outside today....:):

Thanks,

Bill
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2005
    Your url http://www.jowillephoto.com/ is working for me at 10:38 MDT Apr 10

Brad
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    jowille wrote:
    Thanks again Don, I did use private registration, so I will give it more time.

This stuff is fun, but it is a nice day outside today....:):

Thanks,

Bill
    I hear that, I have a couple mega-blisters from the last two days. I live near Chicago and hate the long winters so I have decided to install my own inventory of flowers to shoot this summer. Somewhere around 1500 sq feet more of flowers to add to what I already have. About 50 different flavors should be popping. The weather the last three days has been just wonderful and I am heading back out to enjoy it now.clap.gif

Take it easy.

-don
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    thanks Brad and Minoltaman! I see it all working here now! I really appreciate the help and advice. This forum is going to be a huge help! I have been looking around and getting used to the layout of the forum, so I will try to do better searches so hopefully I won't be repeating too many questions.

Much appreciated, to all!

Bill
  • Options
    KeithHKeithH Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2005
    I'm a little confused about this. Do I really direct the CNAME record to www.smugmug.com, like the directions say, and NOT to my smugmug address? I don't see how this would work, but what do I know.

The first time I did it according to the instructions I was taken to SmugMug's home page when I typed in my own URL, so I went back and deleted that and entered my smugmug address. I'm waiting to see what happens. I'll probably have to change it back. Thanks.
  • Options
    KeithHKeithH Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2005
    Oops! I forgot the other step. I forgot to go into account settings, professional features and enter the custom host name there. I'm sure that will take care of it. Nevermind..... but a little reminder on the instruction page page my be good for people like myself. Sorry!