Sable Falls - Summer to Fall

RonD200RonD200 Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
edited September 26, 2008 in Landscapes
I went up to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in August and got the first shot of Sable Falls, I then used the Nik "Indian Summer" filter in CaptureNX2 and turned it into a Fall color shot.

379721011_rHi6f-M.jpg379722834_ca7b9-M.jpg

More Pictured Rocks photos here:

Pictured Rocks Photos

Comments

• jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2008
    That's too cool. I've loved the Nik filters so far. I've been trying them for the past few weeks. I think I'll buy them. What do you think of them?
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    Heh....looks beautiful....so much for trying to get to the right place at the right time with the right light and perfect colored leaves....geez, this digital filtering is nothing short of amazing.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • ZeroZero Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    That's a rather dramatic picture change for one filter. I'm impressed. :)
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    Not to be too negative, since this may have been just a quickie demonstration, but...

The filter has made a powerful, but none too subtle, transformation. The uniformity of the color change and the way it has spilled onto tree trunks, grasses and even dead wood is not credible. Kinda looks like a cheap bottled blonde dye jobne_nau.gif I guess it could work with some careful masking though.
  • RonD200RonD200 Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    Thanks everyone for your comments!!! :D

The Nik filters are great I'm using Nik Color Efex Pro 3 Complete Edition for CaptureNX2, they also have a version for Photoshop. The Pro version comes with about 53 different filters, some filters are more useful than others. I used the "Indian Summer" filter for my waterfall photo. Here's a description from the NiK website about what the Indian Summer filter does:

Indian Summer
    Complete Edition

Identifies foliage and greenery in an image and enhances or stylizes those objects, creating warm colors similar to seasonal fall scenery.

Other filters that I find useful are:
    Pro Contrast
    Tonal Contrast
    Contrast Color Range
    Graduated Neutral Density
    Darken-Lighten Center
    Polarization
  • RonD200RonD200 Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    Halite wrote:
    Not to be too negative, since this may have been just a quickie demonstration, but...

The filter has made a powerful, but none too subtle, transformation. The uniformity of the color change and the way it has spilled onto tree trunks, grasses and even dead wood is not credible. Kinda looks like a cheap bottled blonde dye jobne_nau.gif I guess it could work with some careful masking though.

Yeah I agree I could of spent more time on the photo, but it was amazing that with one click of the mouse that the photo was transformed from a summer scene to a fall scene. Actually it was the first time I tried the filter and couldn't believe how good of a job it did.