"Dog"

KWDLEOKWDLEO Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited April 19, 2005 in Holy Macro
© 2005 KWD

Comments

• Options
    MichelePMicheleP Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2005
    Very "Big Dog"...:D Looks like a big ole teddy bear, but the shot needs to be better focused.....black dogs are hard to get right....I know because I have one.

Keep clicking

Michele iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 18, 2005
    KWD,

I too have a black dog (even blacker than yours) and he's tough to shoot, as Michele points out. I think on this shot you may have been using a very wide aperture. The nose is in focus, bit the eyes are soft. Looks like a shallow DOF.

Nice looking pup though clap.gifclap.gif

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2005
    KWD,

I too have a black dog (even blacker than yours) and he's tough to shoot, as Michele points out. I think on this shot you may have been using a very wide aperture. The nose is in focus, bit the eyes are soft. Looks like a shallow DOF.

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    Thanks for the responses. This fellow was a "saved" dog. And extremely friendly!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited April 18, 2005
    KWD,

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve

Besides the OOF eyes, most of this black dog is actually grey in this photograph. When I read the pixels in the dogs face, they read around 100,110, 95 or so - that is just barely darker than medium grey in an sRGB image where 128,128,128 is neutral grey.

This occcurs because the light meters in cameras want to average the image out as a neutral grey - BUT - the dog is NOT neutral grey, but black. So set you exposure compensation to underexpose the dog slightly - or -1 stop exposure compensation - and he dog will be more like the black he really is.
    The dog can be blackened in Photoshop of course via the Levels command, but getting the exposure right in the camera is a better alternative.Just the opposite is true when shooting snow scenes - this was discussed here last winter as well - snow requires overexpsure or +1 Exposure Compensation to prevent the snow from looking grey too.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Besides the OOF eyes, most of this black dog is actually grey in this photograph. When I read the pixels in the dogs face, they read around 100,110, 95 or so - that is just barely darker than medium grey in an sRGB image where 128,128,128 is neutral grey.

This occcurs because the light meters in cameras want to average the image out as a neutral grey - BUT - the dog is NOT neutral grey, but black. So set you exposure compensation to underexpose the dog slightly - or -1 stop exposure compensation - and he dog will be more like the black he really is.
    The dog can be blackened in Photoshop of course via the Levels command, but getting the exposure right in the camera is a better alternative.Just the opposite is true when shooting snow scenes - this was discussed here last winter as well - snow requires overexpsure or +1 Exposure Compensation to prevent the snow from looking grey too.
    Cool........