Options

1D III or 5D II

PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
edited October 2, 2008 in Cameras
Okay, I am going to upgrade my camera this year, (well in February with tax return money) and I am trying to decide what would be the better option.

Currently I own a 1DIIn and a 20D as backup. My lenses are limited, but cover what I need. (24-70L, 70-200L, and 24-105L) I do about 65% Wedding photography, 20% Sports, and 15% Seniors. Right now I use the 1D, and my wife uses the 20D at weddings, for sports, the 70-200 is on the 20D, the 24-70 on the 1D...

I really like the 1D build, and AF, but the 5D II may be the better choice for Weddings, over the 1DIII or am I wrong? I know the 1DIII is the king for sports, but that doesn't mean it is the best for Weddings.

On my last E-bay check, the 1D III was selling for about $3000, which is about the same as what the 5dII is going to sell for.... Either way, I am going to need new batteries, and will need to learn new menu's.

Does anyone else have the same question? What are you going to do? Or, if you were faced with this choice, what would you do?

5DII or 1DIII????

Thanks!
Mike LaPorte
Perfect Pix

Comments

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited September 24, 2008
    Poseidon wrote:
    Okay, I am going to upgrade my camera this year, (well in February with tax return money) and I am trying to decide what would be the better option.

Currently I own a 1DIIn and a 20D as backup. My lenses are limited, but cover what I need. (24-70L, 70-200L, and 24-105L) I do about 65% Wedding photography, 20% Sports, and 15% Seniors. Right now I use the 1D, and my wife uses the 20D at weddings, for sports, the 70-200 is on the 20D, the 24-70 on the 1D...

I really like the 1D build, and AF, but the 5D II may be the better choice for Weddings, over the 1DIII or am I wrong? I know the 1DIII is the king for sports, but that doesn't mean it is the best for Weddings.

On my last E-bay check, the 1D III was selling for about $3000, which is about the same as what the 5dII is going to sell for.... Either way, I am going to need new batteries, and will need to learn new menu's.

Does anyone else have the same question? What are you going to do? Or, if you were faced with this choice, what would you do?

5DII or 1DIII????

Thanks!
    That's a very good question....

I've shot with the 1DIII for a year and have the 5DII on order. I love the high ISO promise of the 5D and the video, but the quick shooting of the 1DIII is really addictive. For me, there's just no beating being able to shoot fast when you need to. And I don't need 21 megapixels for a wedding.

Even when I get the 5D I think I'll stick with the 1DIII when I'm shooting candids.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    For me, the speed and accuracy of autofocus is primary. The redundant image storage is next and then shutter lag and pre-flash delay ("blinkers") are also important.

There is nothing faster or more accurate than the Canon 1D and 1Ds autofocus systems. The Nikon AF module in the D2 series and the D3 is equivalent, but I haven't seen anything to indicate it is better. (They are all fantastic in autofocus.)

Likewise, the ability to store redundant images is extremely important. My father lost all of the images on a card last winter and, because it appears to have been the card controller, the images are non-recoverable. (Fortunately, they were private and personal, not someone's once-in-a-lifetime wedding images.)

I'm trying to find shutter lag, pre-flash delay and shutter blackout information for the 2 cameras, but I'll bet that the 1D MKIII excels at all.

All of the above said, there are a lot of Canon 5D wedding photographers out there and there are bound to be a lot of Canon 5D MKII wedding photographers as well. It would make a fantastic "formal" camera to be sure. I just think that the 1D MKIII is a better choice for many reasons.

(I still use 2 of the 1D MKII and I am honestly very happy with their performance.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks it is a tough question. With 21MP, RAW files are going to be HUGE!!! That means more memory needed, as cheap as it is, it is not yet FREE. I already have a TB in my MacPro, and that needs to be upgraded too....

My wife likes the idea of video from the 5D, I like the idea of the AF of the 1D.... Either she ends up with my 1DIIn, and I get the 1DIII or she gets the 5D II, in either case, she wins.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    Thanks Ziggy! I like the performance of my 1D as well, it is head and shoulders above the 20D, no question!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    For me, the speed and accuracy of autofocus is primary. The redundant image storage is next and then shutter lag and pre-flash delay ("blinkers") are also important.

There is nothing faster or more accurate than the Canon 1D and 1Ds autofocus systems. The Nikon AF module in the D2 series and the D3 is equivalent, but I haven't seen anything to indicate it is better. (They are all fantastic in autofocus.)

(SNIP)

I just think that the 1D MKIII is a better choice for many reasons.

Ziggy, please elaborate. I've taken a real interest in the 1D series lately, particularly with respect to AF. What about the 1D justifies for you the extra weight and cost?
  • Options
    Pindy wrote:
    Ziggy, please elaborate. I've taken a real interest in the 1D series lately, particularly with respect to AF. What about the 1D justifies for you the extra weight and cost?

The Canon 1D/1Ds series has an autofocus section that is unlike the lesser in the Canon line. It allows both faster operation and better accuracy, along with very good to excellent sensitivity in low light. Coupled with the part of the image processor that controls autofocus, it is just amazing in operation.

The consistent One-Shot AF operation allows a much higher rate of keepers, especially in low-light situations and difficult subjects (either low-contrast or not sharply defined.)

The AI-Servo is also greatly improved over other Canon implementations, probably due to faster and more accurate sampling as well as more total samples from which to interpolate focus-shift rates.

To gain a little more insight into the differences between the Area-SIR and conventional line and cross type autofocus, start with this "archived" article from Canon:

http://web.archive.org/web/20061019080038/www.canon.com/technology/canon_tech/explanation/area_af.html

To read how the "High Precision" AF points work and why they work with fast aperture lenses, this is a pretty good averall explanation:

http://visual-vacations.com/Photography/canon_1_series_autofocus_custom_functions.htm
    ziggy53
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    Poseidon wrote:
    5DII or 1DIII????

They really are in different leagues.

1D III if you want a fast focusing fast shooting, high performance camera for sports, PJ, wildlife, action.

5D II if you want the killer high-iso, video, and full-framiness on your wide angles.

The biggest issue people have in debating these cameras is trying to get one box to do it all.
  • Options
    Pindy wrote:

It really depends.... if you HAVE to get the action. If you are a working, traveling, moving-about pro, you need the rugged build, the fast focusing, the speed of the shutter, etc etc.
  • Options
    ziggy53 wrote:
    All of the above said, there are a lot of Canon 5D wedding photographers out there and there are bound to be a lot of Canon 5D MKII wedding photographers as well. It would make a fantastic "formal" camera to be sure. I just think that the 1D MKIII is a better choice for many reasons.
    Yeah you can get a 5D II and a 50D, two bodies, and have left over money for some glass deal.gif
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    1D III if you want a fast focusing fast shooting, high performance camera for sports, PJ, wildlife, action.
    By wildlife I assume you are, in general, referring to birds-in-flight-type of shooting; e.g., faster moving situations? I can't really see the need for a 1D over the 5D MII for slower wildlife.ear.gif
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    RogersDA wrote:
    By wildlife I assume you are, in general, referring to birds-in-flight-type of shooting; e.g., faster moving situations? I can't really see the need for a 1D over the 5D MII for slower wildlife.ear.gif

The 5D does reasonably well in any situation where you can reliably keep the center focus point on the subject.
  • Options
    Andy wrote:

5D II if you want the killer high-iso, video, and full-framiness on your wide angles.

The biggest issue people have in debating these cameras is trying to get one box to do it all.

I don't own a 5D, but I can certainly say that this is true from the 1DIIn to the 20D that I do own, even though both are 8.2MP, the 1D is better in so many ways, obviously the AF is one of them, but the weather sealing (standing outside in the rain during football playoffs), build (unfortunately the weight), and the overall feel....

Is the 5DII more similar to the 20D in build, then it is to a 1DIIn? If so, then I will certainly go for the 1DIII.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    Andy wrote:

Clearly bodies need to be chosen for the right context, like lenses. I'm warming to this idea. I could really use super-fast and accurate focusing and shutter performance at times. Psychologically it's easy to get locked into the notion of needing one camera to do it all and the rancor and dissatisfaction that results!
  • Options
    Boy after reading Pindy's post it looks like I TOTALLY missed out on what you were trying to say Andy. I guess I can't choose a single body any easier then I can a single lens....

ARGH!!! If I only I could come up with 6.5K, this would be a moot point!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    I haven't seen this posted on dgrin yet, but here's a nice qualitative, hands-on review of the 5dII from bebb studios...this may give you additional insight into the camera from a wedding photographer's perspective (includes sample high ISO shots and video):
    http://www.bebbblog.com/index.php?link=94&cat=7
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    Andy wrote:

Andy, my abiding curiosity is this: you have (and appear to love) the 1Ds III, but I've also seen that you have the 5D II coming. Is it the 5's video that is compelling for you? If not, what's the incremental value of a new "5" series in your heavy "1" series arsenal?
  • Options
    Thanks Chris, that was a fun read.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2008
    chrisdg wrote:
    I haven't seen this posted on dgrin yet, but here's a nice qualitative, hands-on review of the 5dII from bebb studios...this may give you additional insight into the camera from a wedding photographer's perspective (includes sample high ISO shots and video):
    http://www.bebbblog.com/index.php?link=94&cat=7

This is a great article and really makes me even MORE anxious for my pre-order (and glad i pre-ordered when I did to reserve my spot in line!)
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2008
    I think... I can wait just after christmas and when I get my tax refund before I plunker down for it!! Course that would push my travel plans further, given our current economic situation.

Andy's idea of getting the 5D mk II and 50D is a good one!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2008
    I think... I can wait just after christmas and when I get my tax refund before I plunker down for it!! Course that would push my travel plans further, given our current economic situation.

Andy's idea of getting the 5D mk II and 50D is a good one!

I wish I could use my tax return to this benefit too (to add to my lens collection though) but alas, my agreement w/ the husband is that only photography gigs money goes towards photography purchases... so personal tax return, will go towards house / us things...

I plan to stay with the 5dMkII and 40D when I get it... I was (sorta am) hoping to sell the 30D but my husband really wants me to keep it so he can have a camera when I'm at weddings to use... take this weekend for example when he had to go to his grandfather's 80th birthday bash (w/out me since I had weddings and such) but wasn't able to take a good camera! Thankfully his dad lent him their XTi and kit lens, so it was better than our point and shoot at home...
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    ... so personal tax return, will go towards house / us things ...

... So this coffee table would be OK?

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g45/Pixalo/554860fd7c2c.jpg
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2008
    I'd say YES!!!! WOW!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    ziggy53 wrote:

Such cheap wine on such fine lenses mwink.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    ziggy53 wrote:

bingo, lol
  • Options
    black_fx_35black_fx_35 Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2008
    Sorry for the elementary nature of this question, but can someone explain how audio would be captured with the 5D Mark II? I understand it is video only, so am wondering what could be used with it to capture audio. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2008
    Sorry for the elementary nature of this question, but can someone explain how audio would be captured with the 5D Mark II? I understand it is video only, so am wondering what could be used with it to capture audio. Thanks.

I believe that the Canon 5D MKII has a built-in microphone as well as a microphone input port.

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:IBOdC3yYlJgJ:www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/5dmkiipre.shtml+%2Bcanon+%2B%225d+mkii%22+%2Bmicrophone&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a
    ziggy53
  • Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,751 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    The built-in microphone is the three tiny holes under the 5D logo.

http://a.img-dpreview.com/previews/CanonEOS5DMarkII/Images/frontview.jpg
  • Options
    tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    bingo, lol

I am sorry but i would make fun of your forever if i ever saw that coffee table in your house... let alone being knawed on by one of your many animal pets... :D
    5D2 + 50D | Canon EF-s 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
    http://stridephoto.carbonmade.com
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Hey.. at least she would have tons of spare cameras and L lenses to boot!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com