Options

A day in the life of dgrin! - the Big Reveal!...#2

PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
edited October 1, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Well, The Big Reveal is finally here! If you participated in the “A day in the life of Dgrin” challenge by taking photo’s on September 20th, this is the thread to post up to ten of your fave's from the day into. It’s been hard to wait the whole week to see how everyone spent their day last Saturday. But, as they say, “good things come to those who wait” and it will be a lot of fun to see everyone’s photos.

Remember to put all ten of your photos into a single post. Feel free to add as much descriptive text as you’d like. If you have a bunch more photos from last Saturday that you’d like to share, please post a link to an externally hosted gallery (or put one of those sweet new smugmug slideshow links in).

I’m hoping to keep this thread just for the photos and descriptions in order to make it easier for folks to browse each other’s photos without having to wade through all the discussion. So, let’s keep the comments and conversation going over in the “A day in the life of dgrin! (an unofficial challenge)…#2” thread.

Thank you to everyone who took up the “A day in the life” challenge…Let’s do it again in about 5 months! (February)

-paul
<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

Comments

• Options
    PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2008
    Moving Day
    We spent the day last Saturday moving my son Alex up to his new apartment at Western Washington University. These are just a few snapshots from the day straight out of the A650.

Reminds me of an IKEA commercial. We had to stop a couple times along the way to re-secure the tarps.
    381085283_p37yp-L.jpg

Almost there...
    381084802_YGtdX-L.jpg

Teresa (mom) & Alex
    381085091_p26XY-L-1.jpg

Help from new room mates to unload.
    381085608_9oMzb-L.jpg

381086492_YFHbf-L.jpg

Miles (Alex's brother) enjoys the view from the deck of the apt.
    381086715_XLcqW-L-1.jpg

Mom & son.
    381090063_9rsx2-L-1.jpg

Contemplative
    381086964_AhXyf-L-1.jpg

Mom insists on alternatives to Pizza and Beer
    381086409_3z5x9-L.jpg

Three amigos
    381086139_sKaQJ-L.jpg
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    Well I am up late so I get to be the first to post mwink.gif.

September 20th 2008

Got a few friends together with young boys the same age as mine and we headed up into the mountains of Eastern Arizona.

1. Base Camp- yes there is actually forest in Arizona deal.gif
    380546473_hw98j-L.jpg

After the night of the 19th the men decided that the existing fire pit was not up to par- so a 'proper' pit had to be dug. Some of the guys adding the finishing touches as the boys supervise.

2. Previous pit can be seen in the background.
    380544495_YnnA2-L.jpg

This area is one I frequent quite a bit for its central location to many areas of interest. There is a flowing creek 40 yards from this campsite and there are a few waterfalls a little further up stream.

3. I headed over to this fall while the others were still waking up that morning.
    377573976_KHmns-L-1.jpg

377582948_v9ufa-XL.jpg

377578932_w6QjA-XL-1.jpg

After I returned from a short shooting session- the kids were fed so I took them over to some of the other falls along the creek that required a short hike. They had a blast trying to follow me boulder hopping along the creek to look for photo ops. Of course they all slipped off rocks at times getting anywhere from a soaked shoe to half their body. I couldn't help but laugh since they weren't carrying anything but I loaded down with my tripod and large photo backpack. deal.gif

6. Three of the 5 boys sitting at the start of a tiered fall
    380548380_3rye3-XL.jpg

Just a couple miles up the road is the Tonto Creek Fish Hatchery which breeds the majority of the trout used in the White Mountain lakes. The fish hatchery was almost lost several years ago during a wild fire. Evidence of how close the burn was is still evident in the burnt trees on the surrounding mountainside. The kids love seeing all of the little trout in the runways and feeding some of the giants in a little pond.

7. One of the big trout that is eager for you to feed him.
    381096278_nmCzA-L.jpg

The boys of course are into playing with rocks so I took them on a forest road several miles back to an area to hunt for Geodes and Quartz Crystals both of which can be found off the side of the forest road. After an hour the truck was loaded with potential Geodes and the boys (and parents) had a handful of Crystals

8. My sons stash of Crystals
    380551245_RKa5V-L.jpg

None of the group (besides myself) had been to Tonto Natural Bridge before so we made the 30 minute drive to show them a very cool place. We hiked the short but steep Waterfall Trail to a small Travertine Cave with waterfall.

9. Can you believe this is only 90 minutes from Phoenix??
    381096719_YKXje-XL.jpg

Back at the top of this trail the boys found a pretty impressive looking Caterpillar.

380551891_SkvjT-L.jpg

I had planned to hike to the bottom of the ravine and through the natural bridge but everyone else was tired from my tour guiding. They kept saying something about camping is suppose to be relaxing. rolleyes1.gif

I did make it up to them though by cooking a nice dinner back at the campsite. Carne Asada on skewers, grilled corn on the cob, grilled zucchini, grilled potatoes, grilled bell peppers, and my famous jalapeno poppers. There was of course some cold ones and some tasty margaritas for the adults too. deal.gif

Camping with my son and a few friends was how I spent my day in the life of dgrin. :ivar
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    I spent 20th September taking photos of food for a friend of ours who is opening a food business here in Manila. I've never done this stuff before which is probably quite obviousrolleyes1.gif I also thought I'd mess around with my lights to get some weird self portraits - yes I was bored :D

1. Macaroons - perfectly sweet and moist

376622661_ruGBH-L-1.jpg

2. Macaroons - perfectly sweet and moist

376636937_DUztj-L-1.jpg

3. Macaroons - perfectly sweet and moist

376638268_SmdX9-L-1.jpg

4. Macaroons - perfectly sweet and moist

376618983_EbBRA-L-1.jpg

5. Chocolate Mouse Cake - probably the best chocolate cake I have ever eaten

376648025_oe4rJ-L-1.jpg

6. Chocolate Mouse Cake - probably the best chocolate cake I have ever eaten

376650370_SJuv9-L-1.jpg

7. Chocolate Mouse Cake - probably the best chocolate cake I have ever eaten

376642825_VtzcU-L-1.jpg

8. Chocolate Mouse Cake - probably the best chocolate cake I have ever eaten

376618957_MGwjM-L-1.jpg

9. Me

378291473_FNuP5-L-1.jpg

10. Me

378290648_UAD2N-L-1.jpg

I really enjoyed playing around with the camera taking food shots. Need to read a lot more and see what other people are doing.

Look forward to the next time. Have a great weekend iloveyou.gif
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    A Day of Amateur Sports
    I don't get paid to shoot sports, I really don't prefer to shoot sports, but all my kids play sports and it lasts for three seasons. In the Fall, its flag football and soccer. Saturday was a double day - football in the morning and soccer in the afternoon.

Flag football is with the little guys - they really just love playing and don't pay too much attention to scores.

380888013_E4HVg-L.jpg

380888033_nAnJt-L.jpg

Here's the little fellow that just snagged my son's flag
    380888043_jzqUr-L.jpg

They ran this play three times - twice to the left and once to the right - the last one scored a touchdown.
    380888052_xnDr5-L.jpg

380888065_H4XRf-L.jpg

The afternoon was U13 girls soccer. My daughter's team can only field around 9 players because of injuries. They all get along very well and play with a lot of desire - they usually only lose by one goal because they can't cover the whole field.

380888072_PaxmA-L.jpg

380888078_ctJYx-L.jpg

380888096_cVdRw-L.jpg

380888106_dHWpP-L.jpg

380888127_f5vx5-L.jpg

Today is another day of shooting.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    Autumn leaves, archery, geese and snooker.
    I had a wonderful plan all laid out for Shootin' Saturday. First problem was I outdid meself in the wake up late part. I woke up around 10 am, ate and fell asleep again.

This caused some worries along the lines of getting shoot everything and caused some over hurriedness in the process. I have difficulty in thinking creatively and fast and the same time.

So, with less time to spare than was needed, I first set out to shoot the first autumn colours on the way to the shooting range.

381152500_3HSUW-L.jpg

381152639_s2gQi-L.jpg

381152724_nBskK-L.jpg

Thankfully I didn't need to walk 50 meters to get my viewfinder on some really good stuff. I was feeling like everything I did was complete and utter rubbish at this point, but a little bit of cropping in post was all it took to get those flying.

And then, now slightly less late, get on the bus and head out the next place. On the bus, was a little girl called Sanna, who was going for a swim with her mom and sister.

381153332_h4JWT-L.jpg

She gave me sort of one fourth curious, fourth scared, half annoyed looks for a while. And getting off the bus she said:
    "Mooom, that man took a picture of me."
    "Guilty as charged", I said.

On the shooting range I shot 73 arrows and nearly a thousand photos. Most of those were from self-timed 40 shot bursts tryin to catch arrows flying.

381153460_kJ79u-L.jpg

...and all I got was this lousy shot.

Shooting with the bow wasn't that good either, I chose the 25 meter line that day, shooting into a 60 cm face - six arrows per set.

I actually counted points over the first 36. It started off nice enough with 52 and 56 (!) and then 48, 47, 46 (which is crap) and finally 51 - total 303, three points off an 8.5 average which I would consider good. After that I just tried to hit the target with the camera now set in the burst mode.

Here's the best group I shot:
    381153371_3pBzL-L.jpg

10, 10, 10. 9, 9, 8 = 56. Note the sliced vane lol3.gif

After that I met with a good friend to shoot (not with arrows) migrating barnacle geese. A flock of around about half a thousand was grazing nearby and we dived in. You can easily walk up to about 5 meters away from these birds before they calmly step a little further away.

381153957_T4U9B-L.jpg

381153657_fjwus-L.jpg

And a butt shot, cause it's funny :D
    381153830_4mvRD-L.jpg

Happy with what I got from the geese and memory card nearly filled up, we headed to a small billiards club on the university campus for a few games of snooker. I have bunches of shots from that game already, so I did something different - after spotting this:

381154234_qkiRZ-L.jpg

Can't remember who won...

After that my card really was full and all we did was go for some kebab and a good beer after that - tried a Guinness off the tap, nice.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    Granbury, Texas
    Saturday, September 20, the day of the unofficial challenge, I was in Granbury, Texas, for a meeting. I arrived Friday evening so I had some time to scope out the place. Granbury is a small, quaint town in the northernmost part of the Hill Country in West Central Texas. All these pictures were taken within a hour, from about 7:15-8:15 in the morning. My meeting began at 8:30 at the Granbury Hillton, so I took a stroll past the lake into the town square at sunrise to capture these images. The light was perfect. The sun was yellow/orange and filtered a bit by the fog.

Sunrise Formation
    378099328_tF5ru-L.jpg

Morning on the Square
    378094178_ZmoXu-L.jpg

Bridge to Nowhere
    380612422_5t7A6-L.jpg

Old Opera House
    378091925_2AQCZ-L.jpg

Granbury Bank
    378091507_5rr8F-L.jpg

The Nutthouse
    378093574_kG3WA-L.jpg

Granbury Courthouse
    380616643_KYMtN-L.jpg

Texas Hill Country Limestone
    378092841_cRbVH-L.jpg

Morning Boat Ride
    378095895_tqRFB-L.jpg
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    A Day at Mount Vernon
    We got up at "o-dark-thirty" (OK, 4:00 AM :snore ) to take a day trip given by the Friends of Valley Forge Park to Mount Vernon, VA. To those of you not familiar with American History, Mount Vernon was the home of George Washington, our first president.

We made an hour long trip to Valley Forge National Park where we boarded a bus at 6:00 AM to begin our 3.5 hour drive to Mount Vernon.

Upon arriving at the Mount Vernon Visitors Center, we were greeted by George and Martha and their grandchildren. George and Martha never had children of their own, but Martha had children from her first marriage.
    381172504_KQE37-L-1.jpg

Our group walked over to the mansion and were greeted by our tour guide, whose name was also Linda (red sweater). The mansion looks like it's made from stone, right? WRONG! rolleyes1.gif What looks like stone is actually blocks of wood that were cut and textured to look like stone using a building technique called rustification.
    381173023_c7V6n-L-1.jpg

Our group walked down the hill to the shores of the Potomac River. In Washington's day there would have been people fishing along these shores.
    381173377_mPQGP-L-1.jpg

A view of Mount Vernon one does not get to see very often -- unless they're on a boat or take the tour that we were on.
    381173679_tqRKM-L-1.jpg

George and and Martha's tomb. George is on the right.
    381173754_2qXoW-L-1.jpg

A section of the memorial at the slaves' burying ground. Over 300 slaves worked at Mount Vernon.
    381173953_hjcBB-L-1.jpg

After our Mount Vernon tour, we were taken up the road apiece to Washington's Grist Mill and Whiskey Distillery. A grist mill is a place where grain is ground up for human or animal consumption. Washington's grist mill is one of very few 18th century grist mills left in the U.S. that are actually "working mills", meaning the equipment is still used for grinding. On this tour the millers actually ground up a batch of cornmeal on restored 18th century milling equipment.
    381174492_zt7WH-L-1.jpg

The grist mill and the mill race. Mill races were used to divert water from rivers and streams to the mill. The water would turn a water wheel, which then powered the grinding equipment (see above photo).
    381174682_QCVpz-L-1.jpg

The interior of the whiskey distillery. No demonstrations were given for us and the gift shop was sold out of whiskey that was made in that distillery. :cry The reason why no demonstrations were given was because tour groups would get in the way and with 6 stills in operation it would get unbearably hot inside (you need fire to run a still). They would resume making whiskey in November, when the distillery closes to the public for the season.
    381174430_ikDpL-L-1.jpg

Another shot of the grist mill's exterior.
    381172747_4EXUh-L-1.jpg

Shortly after that last photo was taken we boarded the bus back to Valley Forge. The parking lot looked exactly the same as it did when we had left in the morning: dark and empty! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    The Day With My 4 Year Old
    The day turned out a bit different than planned. My husband had a Slo-Pitch tournament so I thought I'd take some shots at that, but I ended up taking no ball shots and spent the time keeping tabs on our 4 year old, Ben.

The full gallery (a small one this time) is here: http://piellusch.smugmug.com/gallery/6075925_PBHPJ/1/381153317_q75BY#381151191_eAVXf

The first "Day in the life of DGRIN" challenge I started by going to get a shot of the sunrise. I thought I'd start off the same way this time. It was pretty cloudy and I waited and waited but didn't get any sunrise photo worth showing. Then I turned around, saw this and decided to take a shot of the moon instead.

381151191_eAVXf-L-1.jpg

Then after we got tired of the ball tournament, Ben and I headed home. I wanted to get some practice with using my flash off camera outside so he and I were going to go exploring in the back yard.

381151709_hRz8Q-L-1.jpg

381151866_ehQo9-L-1.jpg

He has his own Fisher Price Rough & Tough type digital camera of his own, but is always wanting my 'stuff' when it gets old. So I finally gave in and gave him my old Olympus, telling him he had to be very very careful with it. It's many years old, but hey...back then (at 10X Optical Zoom) it cost about the same as what my Nikon D80 cost me last year!!

He was VERY happy and off we went!

381152093_xbDZc-L-1.jpg

Here is Ben's first posted shot on DGRIN:

381164477_buF3s-L.jpg

Then a few minutes later, his camera went 'BEEP, BEEP, BEEP!!!!'. Out of batteries. He was heartbroken. I told him I thought we had more batteries in the house so he finally stopped crying. (The picture of him REALLY crying is posted in the full gallery...heehee....he'll kill me for posting it once he gets a bit older)

381152623_u4WD6-L.jpg

So with new batteries installed, he continued shooting in the backyard. He also took several butt shots of me as he giggled behind me and pictures of me taking pictures of him. I am NOT posting those here. Laughing.gif

381153239_PW8Vf-L.jpg

I don't know why I can't resist taking pictures of weeds!!

381153317_q75BY-L.jpg

Then when we were done I showed him how to hook his camera to his computer so he could see his pictures in big.

381153899_KhQLt-L.jpg

Ahhhh SUCCESS :D

381155777_JgPRs-L.jpg

Thanks for looking and thanks Paul for organizing this again. Was fun! :D

-- Lisa P.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    First things first

376490120_bsixu-L.jpg

Pop Photo Reading

376490785_HsCew-L.jpg

Lilly is waiting for me

376489327_dtzcM-L.jpg

I get my morning cofee

376488551_CLcQE-L.jpg

Process A few Photos and Listen to iTunes

376491293_mfaBc-L.jpg

Head Downtown to shoot some Urban Scapes

376498761_3BNQr-L.jpg

376499620_tCwZ5-L.jpg

376497320_78e7t-L.jpg

376493329_gSxrF-L.jpg

376964339_2MExG-L.jpg

I'm back home

376953323_yV6D6-L.jpg

That all folks :D
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    A Day of Hovercraft Racing. Milton Keynes, UK
    I had forgotten this "day in the life" exercise, as I had been tempted to go and indulge my taste for unusual "sporting" events - in this case hovercraft racing. Whilst perhaps not as representative as some other peoples images I thought you might like to see how some people spend their Saturday.

Its all about who gets to the water first, or so the announcer said (and with up to 20 craft per race this can be hairy)
    381167420_2GS3S-L.jpg

The chase is on, 10 laps per race in "vehicles" that can do up to 80mph (126kph) and which don't have brakes
    381166917_PGmte-L.jpg

Keeping an eye on "the other guy" is vital not only for overtaking but to avoid accidents.
    381167603_2S2aY-L.jpg

This is a non-sexist sport. In the juniors (11-16) 3 of the first 4 grid positions were taken by girls.381168543_28yt8-L.jpg

Not only do these things go fast, they go sideways just as fast.
    381167682_iuCVp-L.jpg

Unfortunately going backwards is not as easy, and remember - NO BRAKES.
    Whoops! This poor chap was one of those who couldn't stop (turn) before they met the bank. One guy nearly took out a safety marshall.
    381168370_CsHtX-L.jpg

Now this all looks a bit of fun to you and me, but these guys take it VERY seriously and there are some major rivalries. The next 3 are from a burst of 2 major rivals coming down the hill to the water. And I thought hovercraft floated on a cushion of air, how wrong I was.
    381167796_yLx7Q-L.jpg

381167905_DDVCD-L.jpg

These guys only came apart about 6ft from the water.
    381168053_3WXJn-L.jpg

This next one is out of time sequence as it happened during the first race. But after the previous 3, this is what can happen if it goes wrong.
    381170462_FF53R-L.jpg

Don't worry the driver was fine. They stopped the race, of course. But after about 10 minutes the driver was able to walk away and competed the next day, though not as aggressively.

So watching these mad people (and getting a sun burn :tough) is how I spent my Saturday.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    Sept 20 -Tucson Arizona
    my day started out with my "walking group irritated because I slept in and was late for our morning walk~
    380880187_fu9Bs-L-1.jpg

My daughter had a meeting to attend at the convention center downtown so while on break and after I took a few pictures of the convention center grounds~

380880204_PwySt-L-2.jpg

380880220_UNETA-L-2.jpg

There is a cool looking silver sculpture so my daughter jumped in for some informal portrait shots~

380880259_E8pGS-L-2.jpg

380880275_MVDee-L-1.jpg

This one I tried some texturing in photoshop on~

380880288_J9FGm-L-2.jpg

My other half and daughter~

380880313_a3rz9-L-2.jpg

Home by sunset and time to feed~

380880324_nzuMC-L-1.jpg

End to a quick Saturday~

380880349_SLxAx-L-1.jpg
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    Saturday was a day for chores. Not wanting to lug around the "big" camera I stuck the Casio in the pocket and got started.

The best way, I find, to start the day is to watch the world wake up.

Sunrise from my front stoop.
    376577370_R4aJS-L-1.jpg

Then a cup of tea and the morning paper.
    376577717_k9hgY-L-1.jpg

Well, I've put it off a long as I can. Time to get started with attacking the yard before it gets too warm.
    376578075_s2UsF-L-1.jpg

Then its off to the gas station with the car for fuel and some minor maintenance.
    376578446_iATjL-L-1.jpg

Next stop, groceries for the week. (This one's for Aaron)
    376578814_jj95g-L-1.jpg

Back at home I move on to the second vehicle.
    376579142_r8Hyu-L-1.jpg

Since it is now nice and clean, I had to take it out and show it off which meant a second stop at the gas station. Thankfully this one wasn't as expensive as the first visit.
    376579268_6dPSF-L-1.jpg

Since I had gotten my work done for the day I felt that I deserved a reward. Just one though since I was on the bike.
    376579498_w2gF2-L-1.jpg

One last stop before heading home. The weekly hot rod gathering at the local burger joint. Not a bad way to end the day.
    376577184_THKAT-L-1.jpg

I completely enjoyed this exercise. It made me look at the everyday mundane stuff in a different way. I'm looking forward to the next "A Day In The Life...".

— Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    A Day in The Life --- Detail hunt
    Nothing very exciting
    but I have to thank PTM for giving me an excuse to go out and find
    the details of the end of summer.

breakfast
    381294521_qWjF4-M.jpg

ear
    381294555_mCYnS-M.jpg

spider
    381294614_qveCJ-M.jpg

rust
    381294695_ejJDr-M.jpg

bolts
    381294769_EFsvH-M.jpg

evil
    381294817_aHKWb-M.jpg

fuzz
    381294852_75VYB-M.jpg

hop
    381294896_8Pb9w-M.jpg

crawl
    381294975_LkuaC-M.jpg

silk
    381295034_iZonx-M.jpg

thanks!

Full size gallery here
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    The not so glamorous!
    Well I had every intention to go out and get some really cool shots up at Hatchers pass when Paul announced the day in the life...but then fate would have me coming down with pnuemonia! Well I felt so horrible I only took these 4 shots for the day...all horrible and unimaginatable.

With a fever of 101.4 when I woke...here I am in bed with my laptop in front of me....the picture is as horribly taken as I felt at the time...no amount of pp work will make me or it look any better....ne_nau.gif Coarse I would have done a better pp job had I not been sick...but I haven't looked at this in a week!
    381289842_7f98D-L-1.jpg

When I finally did get up it was just to go get my morning coffee in the kitchen.....
    381291203_CHDSS-L-1.jpg

...And since mommy was sick for a few days...there was nothing much to eat in the house because God forbid that anyone gets up to do the shopping! So breakfast ends up being the last brownie that my lil one made two days before....The breakfast of champions?
    381291161_ZXqs3-L-1.jpg

Feeling really horrible and having lack of creativity when sick....I snapped one of my faithful Chihuahua Chuy...who crawled under the covers and kept me warm durning the worst of this whole ordeal....
    381290432_eMVd2-L-1.jpg

Although I still have the cough I have been on antibiotics....and feeling much better although still weak. I am processing some ideas for the newest challenge and hope to be back into the swing of things soon.

Great pictures that everyone else is showing and love the dialogs....Paul your sons look just like their dad and Aaron I love the waterfall shots.thumb.gif
  • Options
    MagpieMagpie Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    Maggie's Very Drippy Day
    I had big plans to do some birding, but the weather just didn't cooperate. After a breakfast visit with my folks, I drove along the river, and decided I'd rather spend the day at home with the kitten-kids.

Here is the Snohomish River in the Rain -- There were a lot of boat trailer rigs parked along the road, so there must be some fish action.

381289098_ZLbrS-M.jpg

Picture me in my yard trying to manage tripod and camera under an umbrella. Here is a wet rose.

381289084_vMj9F-M.jpg

And dripping maple leaves.

381289053_8ezM2-M.jpg

And water drops on cypress.

381289086_LsHCw-M.jpg

A zinnia bud in between showers.

381287448_aBd6e-M.jpg

When things get really boring, you can always play with Photoshop. These mysterious fish live in my Dad's aquarium.

381287578_ST2p4-M.jpg

This begonia is heavily Posterized.

381287455_Bhhtr-M.jpg

Here is my handsome boy Earl. His favorite toys are beer bottle caps and nails, and he's crazy for guys wearing toolbelts -- surely he wore one himself in a previous life!

381287523_5KUbw-M.jpg

Daisy May, Ensign Bear and I settle down to watch a few Star Trek episodes (although she prefers Animal Planet).

381287531_L8iL2-M.jpg

381287630_GLfyc-M.jpg

Paul, thanks again for the challenge. It's fun so see what everyone does, some high art, some a chronicle of daily life.
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    A Day at the Meet
    Girls gymnastics level 4 & 6 at the beautiful Team OC training center in sunny and warm Southern Calif.

1. Spacious 45,000 sq ft facility with stadium spectator seating:
    381302512_dZk78-L.jpg

2. Colorful decorations:
    381301733_xT3Sf-L.jpg

3. Team presentation:
    381301641_LpPGm-L.jpg

4. Coach's instructions:
    381301774_YoT2X-L.jpg

5. Events in order of rotation - vault:
    381338447_3Tf3d-L.jpg

6. Bars:
    381301806_aLfhJ-L.jpg

7. Beam:
    381303439_NYMMR-L.jpg

8. Floor exercise:
    381301870_UWgGV-L.jpg

9. After watching the same 4 routines 90 different times, I was glad the meet was over. Now it's time for individual medals:
    381301999_pHMoL-L.jpg

10. Team awards:
    381302223_kHqKd-L.jpg

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    JavaLoverJavaLover Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    For my day in the life, the kids were gone and hubby and I had the weekend to ourselves. So we got up early and headed to the zoo.

Here's the sunrise from the front of my house:
    377074428_er5tU-M-1.jpg

The wild horses were out, close, and I had my camera!!! wings.gif

Daddy:
    377074309_FbFGw-M-1.jpg

Baby!
    377088606_gF95D-M-1.jpg

At the Zoo.

Thanks for the pose.
    377074625_GR3NQ-M-1.jpg

Who you lookin' at?
    377074888_TJtpT-M-1.jpg

Peccary in the mist:
    377077013_4vD4k-M-1.jpg

The Cactus Hotel:
    377076686_368WK-M-1.jpg

377077060_xLEtZ-M-1.jpg

377076410_QwJwb-M-1.jpg

377075369_ZGUpQ-M-1.jpg

Thanks for looking. :)
    Canon 40D, stock lens and now a Canon 55mm-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
    tfarley.smugmug.com
  • Options
    webnanawebnana Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    #1 Ok! Full pot of coffee -- the day can begin! My daughter-in-law loaned me her 17-40mm L lens, so I put it on my XSi determined to take some good shots.
    376426646_w74sW-M.jpg

#2 Time to check the weather, looks like long sleeves are in order.
    376427240_RpccA-M.jpg

#3 One of the joys of living close to kids and grandkids -- joining them for breakfast out, and then off to the Haymarket Day Parade! Haymarket is in northern Virginia, about 35+ miles west of Washington DC, a small town with large developments all around it. We love it! So here are the daughter and son-in-law loading up the little ones.
    376428086_6MEMU-M.jpg

#4 Just settling into our spot at the edge of the road before the parade begins. (just a little fuzzy, but loved the light)
    376428983_Rt6Sp-M.jpg

#5 Everybody's favorite -- the firetrucks!
    376431892_J9EAf-M.jpg

#6 One of several karate demonstrations
    376436154_Yrhve-M.jpg

#7 A group of unicyclists performed intricate loops, and then this !
    376438388_jbWZ3-M.jpg

#8 We headed back home again, and I started on the Saturday chores of cleaning and laundry. I found Max toasting himself in the late afternoon sun,
    376440809_kEFZ9-M.jpg

#9 and hubby camped out to watch the football game (I heard it was a close one)
    376550511_EipX7-M.jpg

#10 And finally, day's end. Our house backs up to thick woods with very old, tall trees, and so when the sun dips below the treetops, it's not quite sunset, but it was pretty off my deck.
    376551321_jJYDi-M.jpg

This was fun! I'm looking forward to doing it again! -- Janet
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    I was in Paris for the first "Day in the Life of Dgrin" and here I am again!
    I didn't find out about the Sept 20 shoot until a few days after, but the 20th was a busy day for us and I took quite a few snaps to record our activities.

The weekend of the 20th-21st was the Journées Européennes du Patrimoine (European National Heritage Days). Lots of places normally closed to the public are opened to visitors for this annual celebration.

On Saturday, we chose two places to visit that we hoped would not be too crowded - the construction site for the renovations of the north tower of St. Sulpice (of Da Vinci Code fame) and the hydraulic system designed by Gustav Eiffel to run the elevators in the Eiffel Tower.

1. Much of the reconstruction work involved in renovating the north tower of St Sulpice is making replacements for columns, crowns and other decorative details. It requires painstaking, time consuming work by skilled stone masons. Here one of the workers answers my husband's questions. Note the display of tools.

381416983_gMy9Y-L.jpg

2. Here is one of the replacement crowns (I think that is the right name for it) that has been carved by the artisans working at the site.
    381357097_6FQ4z-L.jpg

2. Afterward, we took a few minutes to visit inside the church. This is a photograph of one of the side chapels. I was pleased with the low light performance of my new 17-55 IS Canon lens.

381353597_hQikM-L.jpg

3. We hopped a bus and rode to the Champ de Mars to visit the Eiffel Tower. As you can see, it was a beautiful day.

381354752_rsBC6-L.jpg

5. The tour we had chosen took us down below ground level in one of the tower's feet where we peered through wire fencing to look at the brightly colored machinery. The hydraulic system was designed by Gustav Eiffel and was revolutionary at the time. It dates to 1899 and has been in service since. Some modern hydraulic equipment was added to the system in the 1980's to permit the elevators to rise faster and lift more weight.

Each accumulator weights approximately 200 tons. They are used to keep the water under pressure and serve as counterweights. Since the modernization in the 1980's, two out of the three of them serve only as counterweights.

381350700_QSCXB-L.jpg

6. I just love the colors of the pulleys.

381352097_22beM-L.jpg

7. It was time for a late lunch so we decided to take the Batobus (a water bus that makes stops up and down the Seine) to get us closer to the restaurant we had chosen. These are not tourist boats - they only provide basic info about what you will find at each stop. They do offer a relaxed and leisurely way to travel from one end of Paris to the other and your ticket lets you get on and off at will.

Here is a view out of the front of the water bus. The footbridge ahead is the Pont des Arts.

381347960_P3PTD-L.jpg

8. People love to take the sun on the stone steps along the quais.

381358339_wbHBY-L.jpg

9. We got off at the stop across from Notre Dame. It put us within easy walking distance of Balzaar, where coincidentally we ate on the first "Day in the Life of Dgrin" last April.

381356051_NydJi-L.jpg

10. After lunch, we took the Batobus further up the Seine to the Jardin des Plantes and caught a land bus back to our neighborhood. We were delighted to find a once-a-year flea market along one side of the Boulevard Ménilmontant.

381357825_JHNLg-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,196 Major grins
    Well, I didn't really do much on the 20th but I remember reading that anytime that weekend was really OK so my shots are actually from the 21st.

My daughter's modeling agency organizes a group TFP session every month to help the new models build portfolios and allow them to practice. The real pro photographers who work these shoots have also enlisted some of the Moms to help out. I'm one of the "Mom Photographers" who gets to practice, network, and learn from the others.

Here's a few of my shots from the day:

380818677_4YV8d-M.jpg

380819553_e52xe-M.jpg

380819138_b2Vke-M.jpg

4. Silly String Fight
    380822609_y8T3S-M.jpg

380821052_VevTW-M.jpg

380824172_m7xyB-M.jpg

380825121_8Kagy-M.jpg

380827105_8DuWX-M.jpg

380817871_m4LGD-M.jpg

10. Finish up with my daughter--tired, ready to leave, and not wanting to smile for Mom!
    380827265_GBsPo-M.jpg

The link to the whole gallery: http://psphotos.smugmug.com/gallery/6029715_6xGkH#378132589_cYp2v

Thanks for looking.

Sherry
  • Options
    furiousfartfuriousfart Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    378018959_wEyF3-L.jpg
    Morning comes way too soon.

378019009_obUNs-L.jpg
    But thanks to Russel it's ok

378019065_r2j9V-L.jpg
    Who does this, is it really that hard to change the roll?

378019131_HuKzt-L.jpg
    One of the few visitors still in the Aquarium.

378019187_6QThs-L.jpg
    LMG docked at the Pier, no boating today I'm afraid, not with all the ice.

378019338_anjxa-L.jpg
    Scott, our visiting grantee, part of the artist and writers grants from the NSF. Here to take pictures of the Heroes of Antarctica.

378019426_2AJFg-L.jpg
    PQ, taking care of some ice on the walkway.

378019525_ZiHhq-L.jpg
    PQ again, taking my picture as I take his.

378019604_MS5ZH-L.jpg
    Vivian, don't mess with the gimp wrist

378019694_AtdQk-L.jpg
    A cool shot with the old leader in the background.

I didn't take as many pictures as I'd have liked to with only having taken about 15 total. But it represents a typical Saturday for me here for the most part.
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    Ok, so my day, as some others did, was spent with sports! My middle guy T.J. plays football for the Woodstock Thunder Middleweight travel team.
    I have been designated the "Team Photographer", which is great because I love doing it!

This was taken on one of our first couple of plays of our first drive
    378165977_h8tSS-M.jpg

Which led to.....A Touchdownclap.gif
    378166032_R5fdh-M.jpg

We had some great tackles!
    378166316_CXKQP-M.jpg

Some great pass plays
    378166271_gVHDg-L.jpg

And high fives from the coaches! (#44 is my son)
    378166397_q95kK-M.jpg

But of course where there's football....there's bound to be injuries!
    378166410_RBexG-M.jpg

378166429_6xrU5-L.jpg

Here was a great interception by our team
    378166598_48YTg-L.jpg

Which led to our 2nd touchdown!!
    378166620_98KVo-M-1.jpg

And the boys celebrate their victory..13-0!
    378166852_CtbFE-M.jpg

Thanks for looking...this was fun to do!

Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    merrisweelmerrisweel Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2008
    My September 20th
    My September 20th was spent doing one of the most photographed things ever. My sister-in-laws wedding. How lucky is that?!

I spent the morning, bright and early, in a tent, on a hill, setting up for the wedding later that day.

379587476_wVtVU-M-1.jpg

I went home for a VERY quick lunch, and headed back to the brides house for some "getting ready" shots. My niece wasn't too keen on getting tortured by the hair dresser, so we had to read her books to get her mind off of it.

379452909_8MVa4-M.jpg

After grabbing some shots at the brides house, I walked across the street to the best man's house to grab some photos of the gentleman. Then we hopped in the Limo to head to the wedding.

379455669_H36fi-M.jpg

I rode the limo back to house to pick up the women, and grabbed a few shots of the bride and her daughter

379460176_MJqHQ-M.jpg

The bride tried to escape once we reached the wedding site.

379473007_5FgKX-M.jpg

But alas, they tied the knot.

379460899_kADs9-M.jpg

We took the customary wedding shots

379497368_GF8vd-M.jpg

And the reception began. The flower girl mysteriously got into the cake.

379462285_JYfUH-M.jpg

I assure you, the bridesmaid and the photographer had nothing to do with it!

379512463_AFtNy-M.jpg

The party went well on into the night, and I had a very busy, and very tiring September 20th!

379556995_CaPti-M.jpg
  • Options
    jrnylstjrnylst Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited September 29, 2008
    Multiple setbacks and scheduling nightmares kept us off alpine terrain until September 20, 2008, when my husband and I and friends Mike and Kim climbed our first 14er of the year. It was the first time any of us had seen the Crestones from the east, and it was the first time my husband and I had ever seen Humboldt. So even though I actually forgot in my excitement that it was Day in the Life, I snapped 288 pictures and had great difficulty narrowing the selection down to ten.

I learned a big lesson this day. Because I was so focused on the climb, I didn't shoot as much as I could have and should have. If I had remembered what day it was, I would have gone out of my way to shoot things like our overnight host's dog begging for tidbits of homemade Amish bread at 4 a.m. with those fabulous irresistible puppy dog eyes, us digging in the trunk for equipment in the dark at the trailhead, us making our way to South Colony Lakes via headlamps, signing the register atop the peak, and Mike fishing in Lower South Colony Lake because (in his words) no 14er is complete if you don't cast a line or two before the day is done. I learned I need to be shooting like every day is Day in the Life. Not just once every five months.

BUT (and this is HUGE), my beloved 4Runner survived the ten-hour-long total drive, including two hours of nasty four-wheeling. That's such a breath of fresh air after the last Day in the Life!
    Sunrise on Crestone Needle and Lower South Colony Lake

378180822_Huk44-M.jpg

Hungry Fishy on Upper South Colony Lake

378181966_CnNBk-M.jpg

Inchworm, Inchworm

378181815_7ostp-M.jpg

Digital Day in the Life Quilt

378232196_Cr9p9-M.jpg

My Day in the Life Gallery is <a href="http://snowcatcher.smugmug.com/gallery/6037519_RhCM7//378181815_7ostp">here</a>. My Humbolt Gallery is <a href="http://snowcatcher.smugmug.com/gallery/6039862_Zo7K3//378245592_Zj29g">here</a>.
    alias Snowcatcher, but still a jrnylst at heart
    http://snowcatcher.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    mtmillzmtmillz Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited September 30, 2008
    Saterday 20th 2008
    Well I am just over two day later in posting these, but better late than never...right?

Paul McKee is my Dad, so my pictures sort of mirror what he did that day.

It was a rainy rainy day, not real good for moving. I was not moving, but my brother was. He was moving back to school.
    383300718_32z7B-M.jpg

These next two I took while my family and I waited to be seated at the restaurant for dinner. They are the same composition just focused differently.
    383300201_VST3f-M.jpg

383302252_MYN6i-M.jpg

We sat down and had a nice dinner at Mombo Italiano. I decided to photography the vinegar and oil blob, which we dipped bread in. I experimented with high ISOs, this one shot at 1250.
    383305145_gbSBm-M.jpg

After dinner we dropped my brother (Alex) back at his new house and he says goodbye (briefly) to my Mom. Shot at ISO 3200. The grain/noise was really bad, so I tried to make it artsy.
    383304421_oU9v2-M.jpg

After we dropped Alex off I get dropped of at my apt. and say my goodbyes, but not before snapping a couple more of the family.
    Dad (Paul). "Cool camera, Dad...i'll trade you."
    383305009_sumgT-M.jpg

From left to right: Mom, Me, Dad.
    383301395_PePEw-M.jpg

I had these all ready two days ago and I meant to post, but I forgot. Oh well, it was a fun day. I always enjoy when my parents come to visit.

Miles McKee
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2008
    Excellent Miles. Good job. thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    My Day In The Life
    I was out of town this past weekend, so I'm a little late posting.......but here's my day as spent on the 20th...

1. I had a wedding to work ALL day. I met the bride and girls at the salon.
    384299941_gam4a-M-1.jpg

2. We got as many of the photos taken before the ceremony as possible with out the bride and groom seeing each other. (I really wish brides would get over that....rolleyes1.gif )
    384303491_MM5bz-M-1.jpg

3. The flower girl was exhausted from being up late rehearsal night. She wasn't thrilled about posing with the bride.
    378532815_hjfbt-M-3.jpg

4. I snuck away just before the ceremony started to get some detail shots. This couple is very much into the rodeo, so there were many little (and big) western touches.
    Here's the cake topper....
    384300443_P4wec-M-1.jpg

5. Detail shot of the tables
    378652492_jAhP7-M-3.jpg

6. One of my favorite shots from during the ceremony of the bride and groom
    378681534_hV76y-M-1.jpg

7. My absolute favorite shot from the ceremony. The ring bearer being all boy
    378579544_wXHbF-M-1.jpg

8. The first dance, bubbles and all
    378670318_W5GmZ-M-1.jpg

9. The bouquet toss
    379922786_TSPFQ-M-2.jpg

10. One last portrait of the bride and groom after almost all of the guests had left. The bride had finally begun to relax again.
    378558169_4ww9C-M-1.jpg

It was a long day, but I totally enjoyed shooting this wedding.
    That was my day in the life on the 20th.
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson