Options

Toying with ideas for #9

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited September 29, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is making me crazy (in the best possible way, of course!)!!!

My family think I am NUTS, but they humoured me and joined me in an adventure to try and get some photos this afternoon/evening. The weather report was "scattered thunderstorms" so even though we've been DELUGED in the last 48hrs we decided to risk it. It was, uh... interesting :rofl

Comments definitely welcomed! My feeling is that a reshoot is warranted if I can get out there again (possibly slightly later in the day), but I could really use some C&C on these to see if I'm seeing the right things, and help nudge me in the right direction. Thanks in advance

1.Started out as just dull light. Here's what it was like when we got there around 4p to poke around and see what might be worth shooting once the sun started to go down:
IMG_1034s.JPG

2 About an hour later, we were sitting in the car hoping it MIGHT clear up. Yes, that is RAIN:
IMG_1136s.JPG

3 It stopped raining after about half an hour so I decided to go and play around some more. I like these, but I'm not sure they say "dusk" as much as "stormy". Thoughts?
IMG_1149s.JPG

IMG_1160s.JPG

Then, FINALLY, the sun managed to crack throught the clouds - LIGHT! Unfortunately, it only lasted about 90 seconds. No0b that I am, I'm not fast enough yet to have made much of it, but I did grab a couple that at least look like some kind of late-in-the-day light!

5a (better rule-of-thirds composition, but the reflection is broken)
IMG_1206s.JPG

5b (reflection is good, but horizon is dead center, alas)
IMG_1207s.JPG

6 I have no idea why, but I thought the "abstract" of all the poles was kinda cool, and I managed to catch this during the few seconds of real light. The composition's not really worth anything, but the light is kinda cool
IMG_1208s.JPG

And lastly, finally... LIGHT on the lighthouse! This is the one I like best at the moment, although I really wish there'd been more light so that window glowed. Ah well... (I exposed for the window, btw, which is presumably why the lighthouse itself is a little dark. If there'd been more time, I would've shot a few more which metered off the white instead, but there just werne't enough seconds before the cloud cover stole the sun back!)

IMG_1225s.JPG

C&C definitely appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    bsharpbsharp Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    I like these, but I'm not sure they say "dusk" as much as "stormy". Thoughts?

There is a thread posted by Emily that addresses this concern:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=107005

I like # 6, the poles the best. I think the composition is just fine. The focal point is in the bottom third (for me it's the birds with the wings flapping), and I like the reflections, the mood of the weather, the sunlight in an otherwise cloudy, dreary day.
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited September 28, 2008
    Of these posted...number 6 and 7 work the best out of all of them...but I like #6 the best.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2008
    Thanks to both of you for the responses. It's actually sunny today (first time in a week!), and I'm hoping I may get out there again this evening - it's quite a trek from home, but it's not too far from where I'm working today so if it times out I might get a crack at it with some *real* light. We'll see.

Thanks for your responses (keep 'em coming!)
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2008
    I have to agree with Brad & Jag on #6, and as both you and Brad observed, there is something about the light. That said (for what its worth) I also like #5 despite any compositional faux pas, personally it doesn't bother me at all, once again it is the quality of light on the boat and the reflection of the mast.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams