Options

Need advice on which lens to bring to Peru?

wasiganwasigan Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited September 29, 2008 in Technique
(I wasn't sure which forum to post this message, so I took a shot at posting here and on 'Landscapes'.)

I need advice on which lens to take on a trip to Peru - land of amazing landscapes and street portraits of children and llamas. I have a Canon p&s to take, and also a Canon Rebel XTi. I have 3 lenses and to minimize weight, I'd like to bring just one of them:
- 50mm
- 75-300 tele zoom
- 100mm macro (that I'm still getting used to). The macro lens will do well on the street, but what about Machu Picchu? :dunno

Please offer your comments and advice. Thanks so much,

Comments

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2008
    If budget allows, I would strongly consider renting a Canon 17-55mmF2.8IS lens for the trip. Not only does it offer excellent image quality, but is also VERY flexible.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    If you can only take ONE lens, the Canon EF-S 17-55 IS is the deal.

If it is too rich for you, strongly think about the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 XR Di II It is a fine piece of glass. Tamrons 28-75 f2.8 XR Di is very hihgly thought of, but not quite as wide for a good landscape lens.

The longer lenses you have, the 70-300 and the 100 macro will be disappointing if they are the ONLY lens you take along to Peru. For the mountains, you are going to need something quite a bit wider. Think 17-50 range first.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    Lori,

I think the 17-55 is a great choice, but if I read the post correctly, this is a 3 option question :D .

The fact that you don't have anything that resembles a wide angle won't help much for any landscape photography. But looking at your galleries, it doesn't seem to have held you up much!

So if you can't rent a lens, my first recommendation would be to take the lens that you usually have mounted when you just walking around. This is probably the lens that you've used for most of your photography, the one that your most comfortable with, etc. Your P&S should give you what you need for your wide angle shots. So what lens is that? You tell us ...

Now, if I have to just plain pick one from your list, I'd pick the 75-300. Again, you P&S would be your wide solution. 70-120mm is a nice length for grabbing short distance portraits. Believe it or not, I use my 70-200 f2.8 IS for landscape panos when I'm trying to cut out certain foreground elements. It would give you some flexibility over your 100m macro.

Just my (contrarian) 2 cents worth,
  • Options
    wasiganwasigan Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2008
    OK - I did it - I rented the Canon 17-55mm!
    I should add "against my usual judgement" because ordinarily I wouldn't rent a piece of glass that I had no experience with, and 3 days before the trip either. But the overwhelming response I got from you all (thank you by the way!) was very encouraging.

I hope I did the right thing! Anyone care to talk me down or quell the anxiety??

thank you again for all your responses!
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2008
    I predict it will be the next glass you buy. It is THAT good.