Facebook App?

ktb53ktb53 Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited July 13, 2009 in SmugMug Support
What's going on with the facebook app? Hope someone works on this soon.
What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about?

Comments

• onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    ktb53 wrote:
    What's going on with the facebook app? Hope someone works on this soon.

So I just got a comment on my blog about this, too, so I'm very interested...

*However*, there's a big problem: SmugMug doesn't *have* a Facebook app. So I'm not sure what's going on with it - because it doesn't exist. :(

That being said, we're certainly open to building one. If we were to build one, what would you want it to do?
  • NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    I have no idea how feasible this is, but I would love to have tagging work.

Could people tag SmugMug photos just like they can tag themselves and their friends in the Facebook Albums?

Being able to buy prints from the Facebook app would be great too.
  • PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    I've been using the "Big Smugmug" app for a long time - it still appears to be working.

There also appear to be apps called "My Photos from SmugMug", "My Smugmug Gallery" and "SmugFoto". Perhaps one of them has stopped working...
  • ktb53ktb53 Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    Facebook App features
    I'm not a super facebook fanatic and I'm still getting the hang of things but I see all my friends posting their images and I would like a simple way to choose from my smugmug albums what photos I want to see on there, whether that is through a special tag, or something on the facebook app side I don't really care. I would be nice if the tagging that you put on your smugmug apps would "transfer" over to the facebook tagging but it's not a feature I use a lot.

Like another user said, there are like 4 (not very good) smugmug apps and I have yet to figure out one that works at all. I realize they are not made by you guys but you're not being represented well, especially when I hear a lot of people talking about flickr's solid facebook app. Viva Smugmug!

onethumb wrote:

*However*, there's a big problem: SmugMug doesn't *have* a Facebook app. So I'm not sure what's going on with it - because it doesn't exist. :(

That being said, we're certainly open to building one. If we were to build one, what would you want it to do?
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about?
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    onethumb wrote:

With the way Facebook is growing, having a solid SmugMug Facebook app. would be brilliant marketing for smugmug as well. Currently Flickr is the best integrated - with the code gurus that SM has it shouldn't be hard to make something competitive. ;)
  • hyachtshyachts Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    I'll pile on this request. I'm not huge into Facebook but a lot of people I know are, and are less likely to click through to my Smugmug site from my profile than they are to look at pics within Facebook. I'm loathe to put the pictures both places, so having a portal from one to the other would be ideal.
  • marieboyermarieboyer Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    Agree completely with those hoping for a conduit between smugmug and Facebook. bowdown.gif
  • tomautotomauto Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    I am ready for a facebook app from smugmug! I've stopped posting photos on facebook (I used to use it as a blog of sorts for all my friends) It would be great for them to know that I actually am still taking pictures!

Make is happen! :ivar
    My Smugmug Site! http://tomauto.smugmug.com/
    Canon Quality l Canon 30D l Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 "L" IS Lens l Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS Lens l Canon 580ex ii Flash l Canon 580ex Flash l Canon BG-E2N Battery Grip
    Strobist 101 kit l Bogen / Manfrotto Super Clamp l Westcott Umbrellas - Soft Silver Collapsible and Optical White 43" l Bogen / Manfrotto 3373 Light Stand l Photoflex Multiclamp

• afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    I completely concur. I've been using My Smugmug Photos app on Facebook, but it seems to not allow me to update it. All that app does is display 4 galleries in the facebook profile, which when clicked link directly to the smugmug gallery. That would be fine. Another option would be that the photos would appear in Facebook. Not sure which is better, but more flexible and more stable are hugely important for this to be a success.

I can't imagine why SM wouldn't want to jump on this. It would be very much worth the effort, I believe.

Thanks!!
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Add me into the list!!! What I would LOVE would be a slideshow app, similar to the one that many use with the sm pages. Can't that slideshow be embedded anywhere? Any facebook code monkeys around who could embed that into a facebook app?

Here's what I did in leau of a smugmug option. I put my photos on www.ning.com, and created a facebook slideshow application there. They have instructions there for setting up a facebook app to show your photos. I setup this facebook app:

http://apps.facebook.com/langfordphotography/

Works pretty well, but doesn't auto start or loop like I would like, and it is not configurable.

James
  • kerwienkerwien Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 16, 2008
    My Facebook app requirements
    Glad to see this topic coming up. Let me describe my scenarios and provide a few detailed requirements.

Scenario: FB has rapidly become a key network tool for family, friends, and co-workers. The integration of news feed with applications, status updates, etc. has provided an ambiant and sticky appearance for habitual traffic. Translation: easy to see what people are up to. FB's photo features are nicely integrated. My main issue is that I want to use my SmugMug site for sharing photos and storage, not FB, so I need an easy way to share my SmugMug photo activity with my Facebook crowd. The current SM apps out there (there are only 3 from what I can, and one of them appears useless) really do not provide an adequate level of photo insight or customization that I already have on an SmugMug home page as a regular subscriber.

Requirements:
    • Allow me to post a SmugMug app on the new wall page of my FB profile. (this is the new FB UI, not the old one)
    • Allow me to share which Albums I want to appear in my App. The other SM apps do not provide the level of customization I'd like to see - they're either randomly appearing photos, album organized by category (who cares?), or a single custom profile photo (too limiting). I would like to see 2-4 albums minimum in the app, each using their assigned feature photo. Optional whether they display the photo album name.
    • Add an entry to the FB news feed with SmugMug details such as "Craig created a new album called Flying Toads and added 23 photos." "Craig added 15 new photos to Blue Angels photo album."
    • Optional: display a slideshow of the last 4 uploaded photos to an album(s).
    Several Flickr apps have similar functionality listed above, so would love to see a well rounded and supported app for SM. This is essentially a new distribution mechanism for our photos that drives traffic back to our SM sites - good for everyone all around.

(I would be happy to help beta test such an app if that helps.)

Thanks for listening...!

- craig
    kerwien.smugmug.com
  • omonra21omonra21 Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    kerwien wrote:
    Glad to see this topic coming up. Let me describe my scenarios and provide a few detailed requirements.

Scenario: FB has rapidly become a key network tool for family, friends, and co-workers. The integration of news feed with applications, status updates, etc. has provided an ambiant and sticky appearance for habitual traffic. Translation: easy to see what people are up to. FB's photo features are nicely integrated. My main issue is that I want to use my SmugMug site for sharing photos and storage, not FB, so I need an easy way to share my SmugMug photo activity with my Facebook crowd. The current SM apps out there (there are only 3 from what I can, and one of them appears useless) really do not provide an adequate level of photo insight or customization that I already have on an SmugMug home page as a regular subscriber.

Requirements:
    • Allow me to post a SmugMug app on the new wall page of my FB profile. (this is the new FB UI, not the old one)
    • Allow me to share which Albums I want to appear in my App. The other SM apps do not provide the level of customization I'd like to see - they're either randomly appearing photos, album organized by category (who cares?), or a single custom profile photo (too limiting). I would like to see 2-4 albums minimum in the app, each using their assigned feature photo. Optional whether they display the photo album name.
    • Add an entry to the FB news feed with SmugMug details such as "Craig created a new album called Flying Toads and added 23 photos." "Craig added 15 new photos to Blue Angels photo album."
    Several Flickr apps have similar functionality listed above, so would love to see a well rounded and supported app for SM. This is essentially a new distribution mechanism for our photos that drives traffic back to our SM sites - good for everyone all around.

Thanks for listening...!

- craig
    kerwien.smugmug.com

+1 - Sounds great
  • staceyeidstaceyeid Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited September 27, 2008
    kerwien wrote:

Requirements:

Thanks for listening...!

- craig
    kerwien.smugmug.com

+2 - Would love to see a well integrated SM app on Facebook.
  • hyachtshyachts Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2008
    Now that Facebook has built a pretty substantial non-college-student user base (read: people who might actually pay for a web service) I would think this would be a smart investment for SM. A smooth integration with Facebook could drive a lot of traffic to SmugMug. I know the head muckety-muck chimed in on this thread at the very beginning, but can anyone from SM comment on whether this is a "never", "maybe", "probably" or *gasp* "soon"?

I, for one, am getting tired of having people on Facebook tell me to post more photos when my SM site is linked in my profile.
  • RyanrkRyanrk Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited September 30, 2008
    I would love to see a integrated facebook app. One where it places the photos maybe in the facebook image section. Just want one so my friends can see the pictures in there news feed.
  • palakpalak Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 1, 2008
    Yes Facebook!
    I want this too!

So i've tried almost all the facebook apps built by others (and no offense to the authors) but they never work correctly. i am an avid facebook user (i'm on it everyday, many days multiple times a day)

I'd want:
    1. facebook "downloads" smugmug pictures so that smugmug is the only place i have to upload pics too.
    2. The pics can be viewed through the facebook instead of a click through to smugmug.
    3. i don't need various sizes or the functionality of smugmug. all i need is the pic captions transfering over. and you're more than welcome to add in some smugmug advertising on each page :)
    4. comments should still work but they don't have to transfer back to smugmug (would be a nice v2 though)
    5. Tagging has to work...that's important for this to be worth it. something simple like what facebook pic has now
    6. lastly my friends shouldn't have to add the app to view the pics...this may be a more facebook thing but this really puts a hamper on useage.

so.....when we getting a working facebook app :)

P.S. I'm a product manager for a SaaS company so feel free to ask me for more detailed specing / use cases info if you need it.

Thanks,
    Palak
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    hyachts wrote:
    I know the head muckety-muck chimed in on this thread at the very beginning, but can anyone from SM comment on whether this is a "never", "maybe", "probably" or *gasp* "soon"?

The head muckety-muck also posted this:

http://blogs.smugmug.com/don/2008/09/16/job-opening-social-sorcerer

:-}
  • encosionencosion Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    CSwinton wrote:
    With the way Facebook is growing, having a solid SmugMug Facebook app. would be brilliant marketing for smugmug as well. Currently Flickr is the best integrated - with the code gurus that SM has it shouldn't be hard to make something competitive. ;)
    I second this motion... I'd be happy to volunteer my services on the spec'ing, wireframing and UI front if SmugMug were willing to commit some serious development time to building an app...

Alterntely, if SmugMug isn't interested, perhaps someone else here is? Please get in touch! The current Facebook App offerings fall short in a number of ways - flexibility, ease of use, reliability, etc...
    Canon EOS 500D (Kiss X3)
    85mm f/1.8, 17-50 + 28-75m
    f/2.8 lenses
    iMac 24" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.5.7
    http://encosion.com/ | http://encosion.smugmug.com/
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    encosion wrote:
    if SmugMug were willing to commit some serious development time to building an app...
    We hired a full-time Social Sorcerer on 15 October and he's been doing nothing but this since then :D Stay tuned! deal.gif
    edited November 9, 2008
    palak wrote:
    5. Tagging has to work...that's important for this to be worth it. something simple like what facebook pic has now
    I agree with all your points (although the first point gets confusing with misuse of the word 'downloading')... I would think that point 5 is most likely impossible, but I'm not a Facebook nor SmugMug developer, so I'm not familiar with the APIs...
    Canon EOS 500D (Kiss X3)
    f/2.8 lenses
  • scotticusscotticus Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    Keep the Suggestions Coming....
    Hey guys, I am the Sorcerer working on the FaceBook application, so please keep your comments coming. So far the only one that is going to be difficult to accomplish is the ability to Tag/Comment on photos, and then have those transferred back to SmuMug. Hopefully one day FaceBook will allow us to do something like this, but right now they don't have that functionality. I've added it to the wish list though, and I will also re-iterate the need for it back to FaceBook. Please keep the suggestions coming, the application is under active development and it helps me greatly to know what you guys want to see....

Thanks!
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    We hired a full-time Social Sorcerer on 15 October and he's been doing nothing but this since then :D Stay tuned! deal.gif

Can he get me a date?

Kidding, I'm married. :D

Very cool about the hire! Looking forward to seeing what you guys do on Facebook. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    Hey Scotticus -

Congratulations on the gig! Incredibly happy that they hired for this position.

I've been following this thread and I'd love to give you some thoughts on the new app, but I was hoping you could first post the basic functionality that you anticipate having. There are so many directions one could go on an app like this, and I'd love to know which way you've chosen. From there, I think you could get some great constructive requests and comments.

Thanks much...looking forward to ver. 1.0.
    scotticus wrote:
    Hey guys, I am the Sorcerer working on the FaceBook application, so please keep your comments coming. So far the only one that is going to be difficult to accomplish is the ability to Tag/Comment on photos, and then have those transferred back to SmuMug. Hopefully one day FaceBook will allow us to do something like this, but right now they don't have that functionality. I've added it to the wish list though, and I will also re-iterate the need for it back to FaceBook. Please keep the suggestions coming, the application is under active development and it helps me greatly to know what you guys want to see....

Thanks!
  • jcloudmjcloudm Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited November 9, 2008
    scotticus wrote:

Thanks!

I'll add my thoughts on cool ideas:

1. Tagging of friends in the pictures, even if it doesn't transfer back to SM.
    2. Tab support (reference the MyFlickr FB app)
    3. Automatic publishing to user's FB wall when smugmug galleries are created or updated.

I'll keep it coming as I think of them.
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    scotticus wrote:

Thanks!

Awesome! Glad to hear smugmug is still doing a great job listening to their customers. :D:D:D:D:D

For me, as a print seller, I want to primarily use Facebook to promote my work and drive traffic to my website. What I would love is to be able to easily create a slideshow type app that is configurable, and can be easily added to facebook users' homepages and sidebars. Users should be able to click on any of the pictures in the slideshow they see, and be taken to the specific picture and gallery on smugmug where they could then potentially order a print or leave comments or whatever.

I was able to set something rough like that up using ning.com, but the traffic is sent to ning, rather than sm. Let me know if I can provide any other details.

James
    edited November 10, 2008
    Features...
    Okay, so ALL of this is obviously subject to change, but here is the list of features we have planned for FaceBook. We currently have 2 FaceBook applications planned: 1 for people just looking to share photos on FaceBook, and 1 for our Pros who are looking to establish a business presence on FaceBook.

Standard Application Feature Set:
    • Import photos from SmuMug into FaceBook Photo Albums
      (once imported users can tag, comment, etc..). This will physically move a copy of your photos over to FB.
    • Export photos from FaceBook into SmuMug. This can be photos you've been tagged in, photos of your friends, or any albums you've created on FB.
    • Embed Your SmugMug photos into your profile (with a Note).
    • ECards - Send any of your SmuMug photos to other FaceBook users as an ECard.
    • Application Tab Support - Allows other FaceBook users to view selected SmugMug galleries inside of FaceBook. This is available off of your profile.
    • PhotoRank - PhotoRank allows you to submit a SmugMug photo for review by other FaceBook users. Everyone can then vote on and comment on the photos. There will then be a leaderboard where you can see the best photos for each month. (This is optional, you will need to submit a photo(s))
    • News Item Updates- We will automatically update your news feed for you (John just added 4 new photos, etc..)
    Professional Application Feature Set:
    • Unbranded and Completely Configurable
    • You can add Full contact information for yourself/business, as well as a photo/logo.
    • You can add tabs to it. Each tabs can either be textual content, or a gallery, or a combination of the two.
    • There will be a contact tab, where users can contact you via email, that will also display your contact info. (Fully configurable)
    • Mailing List Support - Will let users sign up for a newsletter (configurable and optional, and with admin to send notifications)
    • Optionally you can embed a photo or advertisement on your profile.
    • Optionally you can allow your photos to be sent as ecards, or to optionally be embedded on other people's profiles.
    • You can attach this application to a user, or to a page on FaceBook.
    Please let me know if you think I am missing something, or if you need some clarification on a feature. Obviously your feedback is incredibly important to us, and at this stage in development it really does help to know what everyone wants...

Thanks,
    Scott.
  • tgelstontgelston Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Awesome!
    scotticus wrote:
    • News Item Updates- We will automatically update your news feed for you (John just added 4 new photos, etc..)

I hope this will be optional - I don't want ALL my uploads to be announced on smugmug.

In general though the feature set looks awesome!

Thanks,
    TObias
    edited November 10, 2008
    Totally Optional...
    Yes, it will be optional. It will be something you turn on/off in the FaceBook application.

tgelston wrote:
    I hope this will be optional - I don't want ALL my uploads to be announced on smugmug.

In general though the feature set looks awesome!

Thanks,
    TObias
    edited November 10, 2008
    scotticus wrote:
    Standard Application Feature Set:
    • Import photos from SmuMug into FaceBook Photo Albums
      (once imported users can tag, comment, etc..). This will physically move a copy of your photos over to FB.
    • Export photos from FaceBook into SmuMug. This can be photos you've been tagged in, photos of your friends, or any albums you've created on FB.
    • Embed Your SmugMug photos into your profile (with a Note).
    • ECards - Send any of your SmuMug photos to other FaceBook users as an ECard.
    • Application Tab Support - Allows other FaceBook users to view selected SmugMug galleries inside of FaceBook. This is available off of your profile.
    • PhotoRank - PhotoRank allows you to submit a SmugMug photo for review by other FaceBook users. Everyone can then vote on and comment on the photos. There will then be a leaderboard where you can see the best photos for each month. (This is optional, you will need to submit a photo(s))
    Exciting stuff Scott... Seriously! Looks like you've put a lot of good thiought into this already...

I like the idea of importing photos into Facebook - I would urge you to think carefully about the UI here though... Other apps I've seen have done a very poor job of letting me navigate down to the gallery that I'm looking for... I have hundreds of galleries, pretty meticulously named and categorised (and sub-categorised), so for me, the best way to navigate would be through category, sub-category, gallery (sorted by alphabet)... But others may not like alphabetic sorting - they may prefer the order in which the galleries have been arranged in a category / sub-category... It seems like a small point, but it makes a world of difference to either party...

A quick rant: The way SmugMug currently 'helps' you move photos from one gallery to another using a seemingly un-ordered drop-down list of all galleries (seemingly without respect for categories and sub-categories) is not at all helpful or intuitive!

The way users navigate their own SmugMug site is what is familiar to them, so replicating this type of interface would make most sense... Once you've successfully navigated to a gallery, you would perhaps only see thumbnails, of which you would then multiple-select for import...

I would also like to suggest that each imported photo from SmugMug to Facebook, gets a direct link back to it's original location on SmugMug in the description field for that photo... Perhaps in brackets after the imported SmugMug caption field? Again, this may need to be an optional preference... I would prefer it... But others may not...
    Canon EOS 500D (Kiss X3)
    f/2.8 lenses
    edited November 10, 2008
    Good Points!
    Thanks for the input encosion, especially the difficulty with navigating through galleries. I will need to revisit this to make sure we come up with something that works well for users that have that many. I will also add the embedding of links to the original in the description field (and I will make it optional). That definitely seems like something that needs to be in there. Be sure to let me know if you come up with anything else.

Thanks,
    -Scott.

encosion wrote:
    Exciting stuff Scott... Seriously! Looks like you've put a lot of good thiought into this already...

I like the idea of importing photos into Facebook - I would urge you to think carefully about the UI here though... Other apps I've seen have done a very poor job of letting me navigate down to the gallery that I'm looking for... I have hundreds of galleries, pretty meticulously named and categorised (and sub-categorised), so for me, the best way to navigate would be through category, sub-category, gallery (sorted by alphabet)... But others may not like alphabetic sorting - they may prefer the order in which the galleries have been arranged in a category / sub-category... It seems like a small point, but it makes a world of difference to either party...

A quick rant: The way SmugMug currently 'helps' you move photos from one gallery to another using a seemingly un-ordered drop-down list of all galleries (seemingly without respect for categories and sub-categories) is not at all helpful or intuitive!

The way users navigate their own SmugMug site is what is familiar to them, so replicating this type of interface would make most sense... Once you've successfully navigated to a gallery, you would perhaps only see thumbnails, of which you would then multiple-select for import...

I would also like to suggest that each imported photo from SmugMug to Facebook, gets a direct link back to it's original location on SmugMug in the description field for that photo... Perhaps in brackets after the imported SmugMug caption field? Again, this may need to be an optional preference... I would prefer it... But others may not...