Options

Giving out CD's of photos

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited October 1, 2008 in Mind Your Own Business
I have a friend of mine who was asked if they, the customer, could have a CD of the images. I know I have heard some photogs that do that but charge a set fee for that CD. If she decides to do this, what is the general rate that one might charge for that. I know it will vary from photog to photog.........but in general what should she charge?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. It is appreciated.

Julie

Comments

• Options
    BlakerBlaker Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2008
    That's really hard to answer without having more information. Perhaps your friend could post here in more detail?
    What was the original agreement between your friend and her customer?
    Some photogs have a low sitting fee because they expect to make most of their money selling custom prints.
    Others may charge a much higher sitting fee which includes the price of the digital cd.
    What did your friend charge for the event/sitting fee and was it enough to give her a profit without selling the custom prints?
    Will your friend be putting hours into post processing all of the files on cd?
    Payment for her time post processing should be taken into account.
    If she doesn't post process the digital cd files, will the customer be disappointed with the quality of the unprocessed files when she gets them printed at Wal Mart?
    Will the customer's friends see these photos, and not be impressed, and therefore the photographer loses word of mouth business?

I have a friend of mine who was asked if they, the customer, could have a CD of the images. I know I have heard some photogs that do that but charge a set fee for that CD. If she decides to do this, what is the general rate that one might charge for that. I know it will vary from photog to photog.........but in general what should she charge?

Julie
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2008

Julie

Giving out the image files means to not being
    able any more to sell prints - simply because
    the customer will then print the photos himself.

She should price the CD such that she earns as
    much (if not more) money than if she sold the
    images as prints.

Remember she is not selling a 10 cent CD. She is
    selling licenses to print photos. Price accordingly.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    Most of the time when people ask me for a cd or a copy of their pics it's because they think that's the easiest way for me to get them to them.

When I explain that I'm putting them on the web and that I can hide the gallery and/or password protect it and they can order prints online, 95% of the time they are like "wow thats awesome, then I definitely don't need a CD".

Granted, there are still times when people say "well can you just burn me a cd anyway".

If at all possible, I try to get out of the CD burning business - lots of reasons for this.

1) It's an extra step to my workflow and while it might only take a few minutes for me to do it it's just another item that will be clogging up the workflow.
    2) Then what to do with the cd, you have to track down the person and give it to them or mail it to them hoping it doesn't break.
    3) Then they'll lose it 4 months from now and end up calling you again to see if you have another copy or they'll call you a week after getting the cd saying "these pics are too big to email, can you walk me through making them smaller".
    4) Then of course there is the issue of them forgetting who took their pics and how to get in touch with you - if they do show off the pics and people compliment them and ask who took the pics they may not remember the phone number or email address to get in touch with you. But when they are looking at pics on my website and emailing the gallery link to their friends they are also giving out my contact information at the same time.

When I upload to SM, all (well, most) of those issues magically disappear.
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    I'm all about giving the customer a CD with the pics. As far as I'm concerned, the digital files are more important to the customer than prints. We live in a digital age now where people "consume" photography digitally. They want to share their images in email, post in blogs, view on their TV, use as their desktop background, etc... So make the CD your product. Make a nice looking image you can print on a "CD label", or buy a printer you can print directly on CDs with. Include your studio name and contact info. Put the CD in a nice case, not just a standard jewell case. Like this one:

http://dnlphoto.com/pages/cddvd/cd174.html

I also include a copy of the copyright release as a text file burned on the CD or DVD, and also a text file with studio contact info. And I also include the images in full-res, and resized for web, in case they're not sophisticated enough software-wise to know how to do that.

And I charge for it. $1200 for weddings. $600 for portraits.

To top it off, I explain to the customer early on that prints made through me will look much better than prints the customer gets on their own. So for any special print needs, I still get those orders too. Let them make as many 4x6 prints to fill their albums as they want. Mostly they'll enjoy having their pictures in iPhoto and posting them on their blogs.

Also, when I sell them the CD, it takes me off the hook for storage of their files. I tell them I'll keep them safe for a year, but after that, they're on their own. I encourage them to make a backup copy. Discs don't last forever. Neither do hard drives. Having a discussion about proper backup can save you grief down the road. And generally I try to keep copies of everything just in case, but I'm not held to it by contract.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    gregneil wrote:
    I'm all about giving the customer a CD with the pics.

And I charge for it. $1200 for weddings. $600 for portraits.

Is that in addition to the regular wedding / portrait package? If so, then yes I would be all for it also! thumb.gif

But, if not, I would lean towards smugmug (for the vast majority of us that can't or won't get $1200 extra for a copy of the pics on CD).
    gregneil wrote:
    They want to share their images in email,

Smugmug does that wonderfully.
    post in blogs,

Smugmug share feature again.
    view on their TV,

Maybe if their computer is hooked up to it smugmug will do that :)
    use as their desktop background, etc...

Enable the pay-for-personal-use download option and they pick and choose the image they want to use as their desktop.
    So make the CD your product. Make a nice looking image you can print on a "CD label", or buy a printer you can print directly on CDs with. Include your studio name and contact info. Put the CD in a nice case, not just a standard jewell case. Like this one: http://dnlphoto.com/pages/cddvd/cd174.html
    I also include a copy of the copyright release as a text file burned on the CD or DVD, and also a text file with studio contact info. And I also include the images in full-res, and resized for web, in case they're not sophisticated enough software-wise to know how to do that.

Again, I'm not arguing any of these points if the client is paying $600-$1200 extra for the CD - I'll do that all day long. But if not, all those items you mention are just screaming to me "extra task that isn't taking pictures, extra task that isn't taking pictures".

And taking pictures is what I love, not making CD's. One of the things I love most about smugmug is that it truly streamlines my workflow and puts the ability for downloading / sharing / emailing on the client and not on me (again, for a price I would not have a problem with it).
    Also, when I sell them the CD, it takes me off the hook for storage of their files. I tell them I'll keep them safe for a year, but after that, they're on their own... And generally I try to keep copies of everything just in case, but I'm not held to it by contract.

Again, smugmug to the rescue - with unilimited storage capability why not keep them for the client forever-ish? You can still release yourself from that contractually but providing it anyway as a benefit would be easy; heck it would be easier than going in and removing them from smugmug! :-)

Just to clarify - my comments are really intended for those who's target market would not pay several hundred dollars extra for a CD. For those, I'm saying smugmug does everything they need.
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    Yes... I'm talking additional $$.

My point is that if you think of yourself just as someone who "takes pictures" for hire, you're probably not giving enough thought to what your real value is to the customer. Thinking of making a CD as "something that isn't taking pictures" will get in the way of doing good business. Sure, maybe you don't enjoy other parts of your business as much, but your true value to the customer isn't pictures, it's the entire experience. That includes everything from how you interact with them to what you deliver at the end. The actual "taking pictures" is one small part of it.

On a number of occasions I've had a customer tell me at the end of the wedding what a fantastic job we did, and how they were thrilled with how we worked, and that they're going to recommend us to all their friends... all before seeing a single image. You're selling an experience. And in my opinion, in this day and age, providing digital files is a big part of that experience.

I agree smugmug can do lots of that for you... but if you're not charging for them to download those files, then you're losing potential income. I've just found it's much easier to sell all the files than to expect customers to pay for individual downloads.

Also, I'd rather not promise lifetime access to their images on smugmug. Over time I just don't want to have that many files and that many clients to navigate through on the site. So smugmug can work for a customer for a year or so, but after that, I want them to have the files.

And I agree - I wouldn't do any of the above for free! But times are changing, and finding a way to earn additional income from the new ways people enjoy their pictures is a welcome challenge. Just be aware that if you allow your images to be shared through smugmug because you haven't protected them, you're losing potential income.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    Depends on the shoot. I charge $20 for a CD of photos already included in my shoot fee (usually 5-10 retouched images). It's no extra cost if they download them off a private, password protected gallery.

If they want the whole shoot on CD, charge based on the shoot, the time you spent, and how much they're likely to pay. I know this last part sounds a bit harsh, but during your shoot, chat up your clients. If they're lawyers with lots of money to spare, keep this in mind if they ask to buy a CD. You get the idea. :D

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+