Options

should i sell my lense

frosty111frosty111 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited October 5, 2008 in Cameras
i currently owned a nikkor 105mm 2.8 vr and want to get another macro lense.

i like the nikkor, its served me well but since reading up on the tamron 90mm di and the sigma 150 f/2.8 apo ex hsm i'm leaning towards them...

but which one... can anyone help me
so far i like what i'm reading and seeing about the sigma.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,825 moderator
    edited September 30, 2008
    The Micro-Nikkor 105mm, f/2.8G AF-S IF-ED VR Is an awesome lens. Not sure why you would think others are better?

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/224-micro-nikkor-af-s-105mm-f28g-if-ed-vr-review--test-report?start=1
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2008
    i think all i need in a teleconvertor?

cause i really wanna do some extreme close up work
    and this lense alone cant get close enough... with bugs anyway.

could u maybe recommend one for my d80?
    i know nothing about teleconvertors
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    << i really wanna do some extreme close up work >>

Well (as a Canon user) I'm unfamiliar with Nikon's teleconvertor lineup - but suspect they don't have anything over 2x.

For less money than a 2x tele, you'll be able to buy a complete set of (3)extension tubes - which, when used with your existing macro - will get you into the 2x region.

Since you'll not be adding any more glass into the mix, this also helps to maintain your existing macro lens' IQ - and you'll have the extra benefit of being able to use them in conjunction with other lenses :)

From this point on, there are various options of getting even greater magnification - but it depends what you want to do - providing some idea would be useful.

Unfortunately - as a Nikon user - you don't have access to the Canon only mpe-65, which is a 1x > 5x dedicated macro zoom and a convenient way of accessing these mags - but there are other (less convenient, but cheaper!) ways.

Bottom line - what do you consider to be 'extreme' :)

pp
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    If you want to get the same 1:1 magnification but want a bit more "working distance" from the skittish bugs, then you need a loner focal length macro lens. Generally, they will give you the 1:1 magnification from a longer distance.

Hence getting a 90mm Tamron will make things worse. A Sigma 150mm macro or maybe a Tamron 180mm macro maybe better.
    Looking at the specs from B&H, the Nikon reaches it's max. magnification at 1 foot from the subject, the Sigma at 1ft 3inches, Tamron at 1ft 6.5 inches.

If this does not give you enough working distance or you want more than 1:1 magnification, then I think a TC or extension tubes or both.

I'm not big into macros so I'll leave that for the folks here that are more into macro photography. Also with such magnification, you may want to invest in ring flash as well.

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2008
    thanx guys,i'll start doing some research
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2008
    so extension rings can get me a higher ration than 1:1?
    but i'll lose AF and VR
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    frosty111 wrote:
    so extension rings can get me a higher ration than 1:1?
    but i'll lose AF and VR

Extension tubes let you focus closer which increases magnification. At least with my Canon 100/2.8 macro I don't lose AF when using tubes. I don't have experience with the Nikon lens but I doubt you will lose VR if you are using a good set of tubes.
  • Options
    rihariha Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 5, 2008
    frosty111 wrote:
    i think all i need in a teleconvertor?

cause i really wanna do some extreme close up work
    and this lense alone cant get close enough... with bugs anyway.

could u maybe recommend one for my d80?
    i know nothing about teleconvertors

But you will not get any extremer close-up work using the tamron or the sigma lenses. All three of them (nikon, sigma, tamron) are maximum 1:1 (lifesize).

Only Canon has ONE lens that can do up to 5:1 and that is the MP-E 65.

So, either you switch brand totally (in this case to canon) or you can get extension tubes to get better magnification with your existing equipment.
    Or buy an old Canon 20D or simlar + an MP-e 65 to do macro work only.

You will not gain anything in magnification by going to tamron or sigma, only the distance to the subject will change when doing 1:1 reproduction.

An longer lens (150mm, sigma) will give you longer working distance, while an 90mm (tamron) will give you shorter working distance.

By the way, i have the Sigma 150mm lens and i like it, i also have an full setup of kenko extension tubes. I bought it 2 or 3 years ago when the Nikon 2.8 vr lens was not available and if i would have bought it today, i would go for the nikon anyway.
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    if you have a lot (LOT!) of patience reverse lens macro will also get you into magnifications greater than 1x. I've also seen adapters that will let reverse lenses with electronic apterature (new lenses) work reversly mounted. (saw it at calumet, if you have it in your country). they cost about 200 euro's so this may be an option. If you use a 24 mm lens reversely mounted you will get crazy magnification (2-3 times i believe). You could also go for old manual focus lenses where you can set the aperature on the lens. its a cheap and interesting way of doing macro's but can be very frustrating at times.

You can find more info on reverse lens macro using the search forum option. thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,825 moderator
    edited October 5, 2008
    My caution with extension tubes is that they can affect convergence. Many lenses, especially zoom lenses, are designed to produce an image at exactly one distance from the lens mount. That distance is called the "convergence" distance.

Extension tubes shift the lens forward and away from the focus plane and cause the lens to form focus at a different point. This can, and often does, produce:

1) Field curvature, only the center of the image is in focus.
    2) Extra CA errors, since the multiple elements are designed to control color convergence at just one convergence distance.
    3) Vignetting, especially with long focal lengths, can be even worse with a long zoom and an extension tube. It typically takes the form of a "hot-spot".

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:BLFts31v34AJ:www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-25mm-Extension-Tube-II-Review.aspx+%2Blens+%2Bvignetting+%2B%22extension+tubes%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=10&gl=us

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:aSpoESARiFYJ:www.alanwood.net/photography/extension-tubes.html+%2B%22field+curvature%22+%2B%22extension+tubes%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us

I am not saying that extension tubes don't work because they do. They tend to provide very good magnification on shorter focal length lenses and I would suggest 50mm prime lenses as fairly optimal. Any longer and the magnification factor is less per extension distance (and more extension distance increases vignetting). Any shorter and you have to be so close to the subject that lighting becomes an issue.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums