Options

Lens hood question?

rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
edited October 2, 2008 in Sports
I rented a canon 24-105 / f4.0 L for a drag racing event this w/end...(yes I'll be close - in hot, bright sun)
I already have a canon 24-70 / f2.8 L (need more reach)
Will be using a canon 20D w/580EX for fill flash...

my question is can I use the lens hood from the 24-70 (EW-83BII - the big one on the left) on the 24-105 (came with EW-83H - small one on the right)??? :dunno

It fits fine - however the size diff. is pretty big - will this adversely effect the end result?

I just don't want to scrape up the new EW-83H

thanks

rich56k
http://HooliganUnderground.com
Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS

Comments

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2008
    The longer lens hood may cause some (severe?) vignetting around the edges. I expect it will be pretty obvious. Try some test shots starting at the widest focal length.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    Both of them have short end at 24, so I wouldn't see a problem why it wouldn't work. I do very much wonder why the one from the 24-70 is so much bigger though headscratch.gif
  • Options
    PeterLyonsPeterLyons Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    I'd propose using the hood intended for the lens.

And an additional note. I find that the cloverleaf hoods are especially prone to getting knocked and twisted off accidentally. I've lost several this way. But I do learn. Now I keep all my hoods taped on with a strip of gaffers tape. In fact I also use gaffers tape to keep the master dial on my 5Ds from twisting out of AV mode, which is where I keep it almost all the time. The tape lends the camera a pleasing grungy look and may help you get over worrying about scraping up your gear. thumb.gif

Or... just cover the entire hood with tape; that'll keep it protected.
  • Options
    donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    Take test shots and see. Look through the view finder.
    if you can see the lens hood on the wide shots, you shouldn't use it.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • Options
    Brad, Ivar, Peter & Sean,

Thanks ! thumb.gif

As I get ready to head to airport the consensus is...
    1-take both
    2-tape the new one
    3-test both
    4-although canon prob. has a reason for this beyond my range of knowledge...
    5-wear tons of sunblock 5000
    6-let you know the results

thanks for the fast replys!!

rich
  • Options
    PeterLyonsPeterLyons Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2008
    An additional note.

The lens hoods that ship with EF lenses are cut to provide maximum peripheral light protection allowed by the widest angle of that lens. On a FULL FRAME body. Your crop-sensor body means your widest angle is quite a bit narrower, and you could get by with a longer hood. You can mostly see this by looking through the viewfinder, but not totally. The viewfinder in most cameras covers slightly less than the full frame. You can see more by moving your head slightly side to side as you look through the viewfinder.

I suppose it's always best to use the longest hood possible. So maybe, to your list of stuff to bring, add a box cutter. Then you can cut back that long hood of yours to fit your 24-105 just perfectly for your 20D. :D
  • Options
    tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2008
    the reason they are different lengths is because the 24-70 attaches to the body of the lens whereas the 24-105 attaches to the lens objective end ... hence when the lens on the 24-70 moves the hood does not...

whereas the lenshood for the 24-105 moves with the end of the lens...

I like the longer one more b/c i can set the lens down on the hood and not damage the zoom function.
    5D2 + 50D | Canon EF-s 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
    http://stridephoto.carbonmade.com
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2008
    tjstrider wrote:
    the reason they are different lengths is because the 24-70 attaches to the body of the lens whereas the 24-105 attaches to the lens objective end ... hence when the lens on the 24-70 moves the hood does not...

whereas the lenshood for the 24-105 moves with the end of the lens...

I like the longer one more b/c i can set the lens down on the hood and not damage the zoom function.

Again thanks to all for your input thumb.gif

tjstrider is right - and I hadn't noticed that until he mentioned it - so I didn't bother trying to switch hoods
    ...not sure why canon designed them as such - but lends to Peters suggestion also re: use hood on lens designed for AND the tape worked great!! Hood returned completely unscathed even though weekend was in both extreme weather (100+ air temp/track surface 140+) and not many cushioned places at the strip to set gear down :cry

on a related note the 24-70 recently had its 'zoom gaskets' replaced at cost of $160 due to sloppy play when lens extended (side-to-side) I guess from no zoom lock and between shots at the track I hang my gear from shoulder ( due to sweat around neck) so the lens can extend and sway?

and hows this for a situation - my 20D was in for routine clean/lube so the loaner I had, had just as many dust spots on sensor as mine!! karma maybe!?!? hope not! but there's a lesson there! rolleyes1.gif

-rich56k