Options

can "owner save" be extended to friends?

PeterLyonsPeterLyons Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
edited September 30, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
This new function is cool.

I'm just wondering whether I can allow some clients (such as publishers who I'll give a password) to download the images they need this way, while still leaving the gallery for sale to my adoring fans.

Or is the only way to give these people my user password allowing them access to everything? That won't happen... just want to know more about the family and friend options really.

Thanks!
Peter

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    It can't, I'm sorry :(

- Andy
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2008
    No problem. Thanks, Andy!
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    Peter what I do in that situation is create a duplicate gallery, hidden and password protected with the originals enabled. Your client can then log in to that password-protected gallery and download the files (with originals enabled your client will see a "Save Photo" similar to the "Owner Save") while anyone else would only see and have access to the protected gallery (no originals).

It's extra work, but it gets the job done.
  • Options
    MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    Peter what I do in that situation is create a duplicate gallery, hidden and password protected with the originals enabled. Your client can then log in to that password-protected gallery and download the files (with originals enabled your client will see a "Save Photo" similar to the "Owner Save") while anyone else would only see and have access to the protected gallery (no originals).

It's extra work, but it gets the job done.

That's exactly what I have done as well.
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    Thank you Mike and Lori!
  • Options
    aostromaostrom Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited September 30, 2008
    I'm missing something...
    I understand the concept here (I have the same need) but can't figure out where to enable "originals" on a per-gallery basis. Thanks!

Andy
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    You can also put an html link in your caption area as follows:

<*a href="http://chuckinsocal.smugmug.com/photos/294842549_yzoei-D.jpg">Download Full Sized Image<*/a>*/html>

The D at the end of the image ID denotes Download just like M indicates medium size, etc.

Obviously you'd substitute your own path, photo ID, and link text.

I think, though, that enabling originals is far less labor intensive but this technique can be used on a photo by photo basis as opposed to gallery wide if that's at all useful.

Just my nickel's worth.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    Andy,

In your gallery customization there is a place to specify the largest sized image you want to display. To enable originals just select Originals as your largest size to display.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    aostromaostrom Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    That's what I was looking for. It works now, thanks!
    Andy,

In your gallery customization there is a place to specify the largest sized image you want to display. To enable originals just select Originals as your largest size to display.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    I found that a lot of my viewers in my unrestricted galleries (where original downloads are allowed) were not finding the "Save" button in the fly-over menu. So, I added a Download Image... button to some of my galleries.

384158852_LH6BJ-O.jpg

Now it's easier for them to find and I don't get so many questions about it. I've always thought the fly-overs weren't that discoverable for newbie viewers who are not familiar with Smugmug.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question