Options

What's the best way to display stereograms?

khizhiykhizhiy Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
edited October 1, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I make stereo photos and would like to organize them wisely at SmugMug. The difficulty is that a stereogram can be presented in several ways, for example:

1) lef at left, right at right for parallel viewing using a prism or mirror setup or in prints with a stereoscope;
2) right at left, left at right for cross-eye viewing without any gadget, right on the monitor;
3) anaglyphs for viewing with red-green glasses.

As I understand, if I want to display all the three variants of a stereogram, and maybe a regular mono image, I will waste disk space at SmugMug as well as my upload bandwidth. A plug-in for Internet Explorer capable of swaping the right and the left images on demand would be nice. Can somebody suggest one? The pluging would allow me to upload and keep only one version of a stereogram, and a visitor of my stereo gallery would choose the way to watch it.

But, again, SmugMug already has something like a plug-in (Flash Player?) to display full screen slideshows. All it takes is to teach that bit of program code to cope with stereograms. Is there a demand for such an upgrade?

So far, I guess I have no choise but to figure out how to make use of subcategories.

Option 1:
Vacation >> Spain-2008 >> Day1 (parallel)
Vacation >> Spain-2008 >> Day1 (cross-eye)
Vacation >> Spain-2008 >> Day1 (mono)
Vacation >> Spain-2008 >> Day2 (parallel)
Vacation >> Spain-2008 >> Day2 (cross-eye)
Vacation >> Spain-2008 >> Day2 (mono)...... and so on

Option 2:
Vacation >> Spain-2008 (parallel) >> Day1
Vacation >> Spain-2008 (parallel) >> Day2
Vacation >> Spain-2008 (cross-eye) >> Day1
Vacation >> Spain-2008 (cross-eye) >> Day2
Vacation >> Spain-2008 (mono) >> Day1
Vacation >> Spain-2008 (mono) >> Day2...... and so on

Am I missing something? Is there a better solution? Tripling the number of galleries within one subcategory or tripling the number of subcategories within a category does not look nice. Inevitable?

Comments

• Options
    khizhiykhizhiy Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    Doc (help@smugmug.com) had answered me with this:
    I would recommend asking your question on Dgrin.com. Someone may be able to help you set this up, it may require putting the images into the same file using photoshop and displaying 1 main image that contains the others.
    What does it mean: putting the images into the same file?

Sergei