Options

Customers can discover 'Default Prices'

HumblePieHumblePie Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited October 1, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hi everyone. This is my first post. I may need some slack:dunno. I have joined SmugMug as a Professional. And I intend to sale Classic Portraits via my site on SmugMug. I am finding SmugMug to be fantastic. Really glad I found it. However, I do have one concern. Although I have used the Control Panel > Site-wide Customization options to remove links that will take my customers off my site and onto SmugMug's, there is always the "Powered by SmugMug" link at the bottom of the page. This makes it possible for my customers to be two clicks away ("Prints & Gifts" link) from discovering the default price(s) and calculating the mark-up. Typically, a business does not share this information with their customers. Example: I sell 4 x 6's for $2.75 ea. Customer's can learn that my cost is $0.19. I base my pricing on; (mark-up x square inches). It's a consistant method. Anyway . . . any 'Professionals' concerned about this? Or am I thinking too hard :rolleyes.

Comments

• Options
    VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2008
    You might want to read this thread

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=106450

Basically, your customer is paying for your work, not just a mere print photo.
  • Options
    HumblePieHumblePie Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    Got it!
    Thanks Vanquiz! Hopefully I can find a more passive approach than some of those suggestions. But I do get the concept; Selling the value of the art and service not the cost of the prints. Looks like I mangaged to post this in the wrong forum.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    Hi wave.gif welcome :D

So yeah - your customers, they know how much a 4x6 print cost them, like at Walmart or some other lab.

They're paying for what you put on that paper thumb.gif
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    HumblePie wrote:
    Hi everyone. This is my first post. I may need some slackne_nau.gif. I have joined SmugMug as a Professional. And I intend to sale Classic Portraits via my site on SmugMug. I am finding SmugMug to be fantastic. Really glad I found it. However, I do have one concern. Although I have used the Control Panel > Site-wide Customization options to remove links that will take my customers off my site and onto SmugMug's, there is always the "Powered by SmugMug" link at the bottom of the page. This makes it possible for my customers to be two clicks away ("Prints & Gifts" link) from discovering the default price(s) and calculating the mark-up. Typically, a business does not share this information with their customers. Example: I sell 4 x 6's for $2.75 ea. Customer's can learn that my cost is $0.19. I base my pricing on; (mark-up x square inches). It's a consistant method. Anyway . . . any 'Professionals' concerned about this? Or am I thinking too hard rolleyes1.gif.

I agree with Andy here.

Most customers know or can know how much a 4x6 is at their local drugstore, Costco, Walmart, Wolf Camera, Ritz Camera, etc... And, if they want to know, it's clearly on all of their web sites.

Further when they buy from you, they aren't paying for the materials of a print - they're paying for your services to take the photo. If anyone asks about it, just remind they that these photos are not about the cost of the photo paper and the ink, they are about the capturing and preparation of the images. You charge what you think is a fair price for that service.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    PeterLyonsPeterLyons Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    Nah, Humble, you're in the right forum. You're just maybe a bit too humble!

I think it's wise to price within your market. In mine I sell 4x6 at $9, 5x7 at $18, and 8x10 at $38. Maybe 1% of my clients gripe about price. Most everyone accepts the cost of doing business and is willing to pay for it. As I do this longer, and see first-hand the real cost of doing business, I'm forced to be more realistic in my pricing. Do NOT undersell yourself! It will only make things harder for you in the long run, as you need to adjust upward to meet the real price of business, and still make a fair profit.
  • Options
    DeeDeeODeeDeeO Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    Like everyone is saying here, your pricing your work, not the cost of production. :)