Options

multiple keyword separators

cyclemancycleman Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited October 1, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I've just read through a rather extensive discussion in DGrin on using "" to separate multiple keywords like "macro photography" in SMug when a lot of the IPTC software uses either , or ;. my question is, is this still the case - SMug absolutely requires the use of "" to separate keywords or else they won't be separated (or maybe even recognized)?

the 2d part of this question is: if I insert the "" in my IPTC software (I have several choices, Lightroom, ACDSee pro, bridge, PShop, etc) and the software accepts it as such, what happens to those keywords if they're posted on a non-SMug website (like I have another website with another hosting service) - does the Web and the search engines recognize and honor the "" separator or would I have to go back and change everything around?

thanks.:clap

dick louderman

Comments

• Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    cycleman wrote:
    I've just read through a rather extensive discussion in DGrin on using "" to separate multiple keywords like "macro photography" in SMug when a lot of the IPTC software uses either , or ;. my question is, is this still the case - SMug absolutely requires the use of "" to separate keywords or else they won't be separated (or maybe even recognized)?

the 2d part of this question is: if I insert the "" in my IPTC software (I have several choices, Lightroom, ACDSee pro, bridge, PShop, etc) and the software accepts it as such, what happens to those keywords if they're posted on a non-SMug website (like I have another website with another hosting service) - does the Web and the search engines recognize and honor the "" separator or would I have to go back and change everything around?

thanks.clap.gif

dick louderman

Dgrin respects semi-colons. And it's easy enough to test. Just add the following keywords to one of your uploaded photos:
    macro photography; flower;

If you only had "macro photography" as a keyword, you'd use:
    macro photography;

One thing I found odd is that Picasa disallows spaces in their keywords. That's annoying.
  • Options
    cyclemancycleman Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    Dgrin respects semi-colons. And it's easy enough to test. Just add the following keywords to one of your uploaded photos:
    macro photography; flower;

If you only had "macro photography" as a keyword, you'd use:
    macro photography;

One thing I found odd is that Picasa disallows spaces in their keywords. That's annoying.
    thanks! I tried setting these semicolons in Lightroom and then looked at the keywords in acdsee pro, didn't see the ;; because each KW was in a separate field, but the multiple word KWs were preserved; and I looked at them in CS2, where the ;; were preserved. it will be interesting to see if they survive uploading to SMug.

dick louderman