Options

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM

iamprof40iamprof40 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
edited October 2, 2008 in Cameras
What are the experts views on this lens?
It seems to me is is small with a great set of focal lengths, is nearly L build quality, yet is seems to have gotten a bad reputation.
Comments please?

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited September 30, 2008
    Hi iam,
    I've moved your thread to the Gear > Cameras forum, rather than the flea market since you are looking for advice and discussion as opposed to buying or selling (specifically).

thanks,
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2008
    iamprof40 wrote:
    Comments please?

I have not used the lens but Luminous Landscape has what seems a fair review.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    I had one for two years...hardly ever used it after the first month or so...and sold it.

It is a fine lens picture quality wise up to about 220mm.

The zoom creep is a pain...it has a lock but then you need to unlock it to zoom...something I found irritating.

My advise would be to get any 70-200L and a 300 f/4 if you need the reach.

The size of the DO is it's only redeeming factor IMO.
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    I to read mixed reviews on the 70-300 Do when I was looking for a lens. I didn't buy it, but bought the 70-300 IS non DO and I love it. Sorry I can't be of any help to you other then to tell you what I did. My lens is sharp at 300 most of the times. When it isn't...it's my fault :cry
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    PHotozone.de has a review of it here.
    http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/201-canon-ef-70-300mm-f45-56-usm-is-lab-test-report--review

The Diffractive Optics (DO, IIRC) makes the lens smaller but it may not be as good as the much cheaper 70-300mm IS lens from Canon if you are looking for a 70-300mm zooms. The non DO version is fairly small and light as well, so I don't think the DO is a good option considering the price difference for the slight difference in the lighter weight/smaller size.