Options

she cuts my hair

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited April 23, 2005 in People
her name is luba, and she's russian. she's been cutting my hair for 10 years, and she's a doll. gubbs and i are going to go see luba and her partners on friday, and do a proper shoot. this was with my canon 20d, and new 135 f/2L. available light, my back up to the wall in the tiny shop, iso 800, f/2, 1/320th second. this was the second of three bursts. i will always shoot 2 or 3 shots in situations like this, the 2nd and 3rd will be sharper than the first most always. the lighting looks warm, it was - funky lighting in this place, and the pic is true to her coloring.

yes, of course the lens isn't the right lens for shooting indoor portraits in a small place - but it was the only lens i had with me at the time :lol3 so i made do with waht i had. looking forward to going back on friday.

20150740-L.jpg

enjoy (getting your hair cut) photography,

Comments

• Options
    Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    Great Capture, I love her smile. How in the world do you remember all the settings on your camera? I'm lucky if I remember the fstop I used...headscratch.gif Man, if this was impromptu, I can't wait to see the results of a proper shoot!

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
    Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    Very nice Andy.
    ...the 2nd and 3rd will be sharper than the first most always.
    Why is that? I noticed that with the 400 at times. The first shot is soft while the following couple are sharper.
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    Very nice Andy.

Why is that? I noticed that with the 400 at times. The first shot is soft while the following couple are sharper.

becuase the first shot will show more camera shake than the ensuing ones in the burst, due to you pressing the shutter. nod.gif

and, thanks!
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    andy wrote:
    becuase the first shot will show more camera shake than the ensuing ones in the burst, due to you pressing the shutter. nod.gif

and, thanks!
    Great shot andy - I like the composition a lot.

There is a guy on the canon lens forum (great sport shooter named Niil Toulme) that claims that canon cameras never focus properly on the first shot of a burst. What I don't understand is how the camera differentiates ahead of time to know that you are using burst. I often found I would stop after a single shot, even when in burst, and it would be in focus. I cannot remember his explanation but it wasn't camera shake......

ann
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    andy wrote:
    my canon 20d, and new 135 f/2L.
    :giggle rolleyes1.giflol3.gif :lol4 :lol ...........................................:cry

as long as its not a 200 f/2
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Nice shot Andy, love the colors...

Is there a lens you havn't owned yet? ne_nau.gif

Ed
  • Options
    Peter DumontPeter Dumont Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Hello Andy !
    andy wrote:
    her name is luba, and she's russian. she's been cutting my hair for 10 years, and she's a doll. gubbs and i are going to go see luba and her partners on friday, and do a proper shoot. this was with my canon 20d, and new 135 f/2L. available light, my back up to the wall in the tiny shop, iso 800, f/2, 1/320th second. this was the second of three bursts. i will always shoot 2 or 3 shots in situations like this, the 2nd and 3rd will be sharper than the first most always. the lighting looks warm, it was - funky lighting in this place, and the pic is true to her coloring.

yes, of course the lens isn't the right lens for shooting indoor portraits in a small place - but it was the only lens i had with me at the time lol3.gif so i made do with waht i had. looking forward to going back on friday.

20150740-L.jpg

An outstanding shot, Andy !

I love the crispness of this portrait, and how you made the mirror work as a provider of space !

Bye,
    Peter Dumont
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    mmmm.....

Such...such...BOKEH

• Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    Soooooooooo Sooooooooooooo sharp iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Beautiful capture Andy.thumb.gif
    Thanks for sharing
    The 135 f2 is one sharp lens.
    It is my walk around lens on my 1D MK2icon10.gif
    Last night I shot in jpeg mode for the first time and I must say the images straight from cam were very sharp.
  • Options
    Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    I like the composition, Andy - this space to the left is wonderful!
    If some critique is possible - I (only I?) dont like this 'feeling' of darkness - Its hard to explain it in English for me - at the first glance this photo is not dark - these teeth, skin, chemise... but as a whole ... I feel contradiction between her natural smile and this 'darkness'
    Don't know why, but some words about 'capitalistic mercilessly exploitation of women' come to mind...
    Sorry ... mwink.gif
    Great photo, but thats my thoughts and feelings, Andy!
    Yuri
  • Options
    robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Great photo! I really like the DOF with the background of the mirror. Wonder if placing her with some of her daily tools might be a good idea for the next photo shoot? Would give the viewer more to understand just what this lady does for a living.

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2005
    Lucky Hack wrote:
    Great Capture, I love her smile. How in the world do you remember all the settings on your camera? I'm lucky if I remember the fstop I used...headscratch.gif Man, if this was impromptu, I can't wait to see the results of a proper shoot!

hoping this message finds you well -Ian

hi hack, i usually can remember, or be fairly close.. but there's always the exif :D

thank you for the comment, and for stopping by!
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Great shot andy - I like the composition a lot.

There is a guy on the canon lens forum (great sport shooter named Niil Toulme) that claims that canon cameras never focus properly on the first shot of a burst. What I don't understand is how the camera differentiates ahead of time to know that you are using burst. I often found I would stop after a single shot, even when in burst, and it would be in focus. I cannot remember his explanation but it wasn't camera shake......

ann

i don't buy that argument - but i do believe that the first shot possibly can be affected by shake caused by pressing the shutter -

thanks for the kind words, ann :D