Options

How do you price a camera to sell?

rbarrettrbarrett Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited October 3, 2008 in Cameras
Hi everyone!

I'm looking to sell one of my cameras.I just never really got the hang of using it and would rather sell it and buy a digital SLR but I'm not sure how much to sell it for.

It's a Nikon FA and it comes with everything including lens (close ups and effect ones),camera bag,flash and a Tokina 35-135 mm lens.

Thanks so much!!

Rhonda

Comments

• Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    i generally check KEH and ebay for the going rates of the equipment.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited October 2, 2008
    rbarrett wrote:
    Hi everyone!

I'm looking to sell one of my cameras.I just never really got the hang of using it and would rather sell it and buy a digital SLR but I'm not sure how much to sell it for.

It's a Nikon FA and it comes with everything including lens (close ups and effect ones),camera bag,flash and a Tokina 35-135 mm lens.

Thanks so much!!

Rhonda

Hi Rhonda and welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Dan is giving good advice. Check with KEH, B&H and Adorama for used prices and then do a scan with Google as well.

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/home.aspx
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/category/2871/used_photo.html
    http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=category&cat1=Used
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    I buy and sell a fair amount of gear to accommodate changing assignments and personal whim. I have found that most folks vastly overprice their old film bodies and average-quality third party lenses because they base their asking price on what they paid a century ago, rather than the reasonable market value of today.

The advice to check out ebay and KEH is good, but if you really want to sell the stuff, then price it about 10% lower and consider throwing in free shipping as a negotiation point. If you really really want to sell, then be prepared to drop the price another 10% in time. I'd also research where the online marketplace for savvy Nikonians is and post an ad there.
    If you plan on selling more stuff over time, then I would go through the hoops and register with PayPal; love them or hate them, they are the main game in town. I'd try Craigslist first though.

M
  • Options
    mountainhousemountainhouse Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    One added thought on eBay - if you don't have an eBay account, get one. They're free, and that will allow you to view the pricing on completed auctions (see what was really paid).
  • Options
    rbarrettrbarrett Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 3, 2008
    Thanks everyone!
    For some really great advice! :D

Rhonda
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2008
    I just sold a mint, low use canon 1n film body for $168 on ebay... it broke my heart! That was a $2300 body 5 or 6 years ago. I bought it used a couple years ago for about $300... oh well, such is film.

As for Craigslist, FME the downside there is you get a lot of people setting up apts to come look and many never show. For a film body like that you may want to contact local schools and see if they still teach film. If so, most students will show up to their photo 101 class with a digital camera or no camera at all and will be looking to grab a body and a few lenses. I agree about the "completed listings" section on ebay being invaluable.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes