Options

Hi -- newbie

jaronnajaronna Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited October 4, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
I'm new to digital photography, new to managing prints in a computer file, new to smugmug, and ...just...incredibly new and wet behind the ears to the whole deal.

I saved up and bought myself a Nikon 40D with two kit lens, and have been experimenting with it (when I get the time) for the past six months. I've also been learning the ropes of Picassa and now Smugmug. It's been interesting to say the least!

Anyhow, here are some shots of flowers I did with my Nikon -- please tell me what you think (I know there are a lot but I'm enthusiastic) and if you have any helpful ideas for me. I'd sure appreciate it.

http://jaronna.smugmug.com/gallery/5368200_RkGbM//328671170_KRov8

Comments

• Options
    JavaLoverJavaLover Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Welcome to Dgrin and SmugMug! The people here are incredible, wonderful, and very helpful. If you have a particular photo you would like feed back on just post and I'm sure someone or two or ten will chime in.

I took a peak at your gallery and liked #41. #7 I would lighten up some, but I like the composition. I think you have some great opportunity with the old barn.

Good luck!
    Canon 40D, stock lens and now a Canon 55mm-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
    tfarley.smugmug.com
  • Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Not bad at all, Jaroona (these screen names drive me nutty). Good work for a beginner. thumb.gif

Keep shooting. Post some images and the great people here will help you improve your skills!

Welcome to DGrin and to SmugMug!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    jaronnajaronna Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 3, 2008
    Thanks so much for your replies and comments -- I'll certainly post some pics. May take me awhile (I'm not the most computer proficient!)
  • Options
    PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    Welcome jaronna! I love flower pic's and these are nice. I especially like 1, 49 & 63. I also like #8 a lot. If I were to try to offer initial advice, I guess I'd ask what ISO setting these were taken with? - I checked the exif and for some reason it didn't show up. Anyway, to minimize grainy noise, it's best to shoot at the lowest ISO that will allow a workable shutter-speed/aperture. Some folks use a tripod just so that they can keep the ISO real low and use slower shutter speeds.

Nice shots...keep shoot'n and share'n! thumb.gif

-paul