Options

Creating a Dir and then shifting sub dir's

BBJBBJ Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited April 21, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Hi All, I am new to this but yeh what i want to do is to make a directory and move other directories that are already there into this 1 dir as subs, as i have a 3 events that instead of having 2 galleries of the same even i would like to make 1 directory and then shift the 3 galleries into that dir so as not to clutter galleries up to much. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Cheers
John
BBJ

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    John,
    BBJ wrote:
    Hi All, I am new to this but yeh what i want to do is to make a directory and move other directories that are already there into this 1 dir as subs, as i have a 3 events that instead of having 2 galleries of the same even i would like to make 1 directory and then shift the 3 galleries into that dir so as not to clutter galleries up to much. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Cheers
    John
    BBJ
    I'm afraid I didn't understand what you're trying to achieve. You're mixing "directories" (usually local objects on your computer) with "galleries" and "categories", which are Smugmug way of information nesting.

I'd be happy to try to help you if you can possibly re-phrase your question...

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    Top category- Racing
    ...sub-category - event 1
    ......gallery - pics 1
    ......gallery - pics 2
    ...sub-category - event 2
    ......gallery - pics 1
    ......gallery - pics 2
    gallery 1 (under top category)
    gallery 2 (under top category)

Above has both sub-categories and galleries under top category.
    How's this? Best I can figure what you're wanting.
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2005
    Ok let me try explain, i have a catagory on my main page, in this i have Galleries of each event, only in some cases some events are like over 3 days so i have 3 galleries for that 1 event. i would like to make like 1 gallery and move those 3 days events into it, so 1 gallery with the 3 galleries from each day in it.
    Sorry for confusing you.
    Cheers
    John
    BBJ
    PS: just trying not to make it look messy.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    BBJ wrote:
    Ok let me try explain, i have a catagory on my main page, in this i have Galleries of each event, only in some cases some events are like over 3 days so i have 3 galleries for that 1 event. i would like to make like 1 gallery and move those 3 days events into it, so 1 gallery with the 3 galleries from each day in it.
    Sorry for confusing you.
    Cheers
    John
    BBJ
    PS: just trying not to make it look messy.
    See if this will work:
    Top category- Racing
    ...sub-category - event 1
    ......gallery - day 1 (these galleries under the sub)
    ......gallery - day 2
    event 2 (gallery under top category)
    ...sub-category - event 3
    ......gallery - day 1
    ......gallery - day 2
    event 4 (gallery under top category)
    event 5 (gallery under top category)

I quickly set one up, see if this is what you're looking for.
    Pick this link and select the categroy "For John on DGRIN"

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2005
    Hi Allan, yes mate thats the way i would like to arrange a couple of mine on my page. I have a main dir with heap of subs but some subs of same event just different day but would like to move the 3 subs into 1.
    Allan if you go here:http://bbj.smugmug.com/McNamara%20Park%20Road%20Racing%20Circuit%20Pictures

and look at these i have 3 galleries like this:Easter Cup-(Modern & Historic) also 3rd round of the National Bears Championship . I want to make like 1 with this heading and move all 3 days of photos into that 1.
    Thanks.
    John
  • Options
    fourseasonsfourseasons Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    BBJ wrote:
    Hi Allan, yes mate thats the way i would like to arrange a couple of mine on my page. I have a main dir with heap of subs but some subs of same event just different day but would like to move the 3 subs into 1.
    Allan if you go here:http://bbj.smugmug.com/McNamara%20Park%20Road%20Racing%20Circuit%20Pictures

and look at these i have 3 galleries like this:Easter Cup-(Modern & Historic) also 3rd round of the National Bears Championship . I want to make like 1 with this heading and move all 3 days of photos into that 1.
    Thanks.
    John
    Hi BBJ, I kind of got what you mean, although not completely clear. I agree this category/subcategory system is confusing and can be troublesome to manage. Would it be correct that you simply want to have sub-galleries inside one other gallery (e.g. gallery/sub gallery/sub-sub gallery and so on)? if so, I am too dying to see this sysetm implemented at smugmug.
    kind regards,
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    Yes Fourseasons, thats exactly what i am wanting to do, i would like to shift what i have there, just in that fashion.
    It does get a bit confusing sometimes and yes it would make things easier in cases of an event that runs over a few days so you can seperate each day as subs withing the a gallery.
    Cheers
    John