Options

Password Protected Galleries and Portfolios

du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
edited October 4, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I have a question for all the 'muggers who care to offer some insight.

I've been shooting some youth sports (with parent's permission), and posting the shots on the mug for them to purchase. Because they're kids, and I want to not upset the parents of these kids, I'm password protecting the galleries. I know technically, I don't need to do this, but I think it makes sense.

Now, since the work I'm doing is primarily youth sports, and want to build a portfolio, but my galleries are all protected... When you come to my site, you see a bunch of locks.

So, how do you balance the need to "protect the kids" with the need to promote your work? If I have particular shots that I want to use, should I speak to the parents and ask their permission to use that particular shot in a portfolio online?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff

Comments

• Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 4, 2008
    Asking permission to add the photo to your portfolio would be the correct thing to do. I think that dealing with an irate parent that found out you were using the kids photo without permission for your gain will be less easy to deal with.

Most people would be flattered. But one scorned parent can turn a whole bunch of others against you really quick.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com