Options

USS Intrepid Returns

moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
edited October 5, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Following a two-year renovation project, the USS Intrepid returned to Pier 86 on the west side of Manhattan on Thursday. The museum is scheduled to re-open on Veterans Day weekend. I spent much of the day at Hamilton Park in Weehawken, NJ, overlooking the Hudson River and the museum pier as they moved her up the river.

Started off with a P-3 flying down the Hudson
385379004_TKmhs-L-1.jpg

Near Ground Zero they unfurled a large American flag on the side of the ship
385380352_N22B3-L-1.jpg

Some of the crowd at the park
385385907_vrCga-L-1.jpg

385382566_hjdjL-L-1.jpg

385386988_HyyzM-L-1.jpg

385390494_A6RKL-L-1.jpg

385388575_2yFtg-L-1.jpg

385389951_SPo4M-L-1.jpg

385392797_wgX6J-L-1.jpg

385394210_EXDxu-L-1.jpg

More photos here

Comments

• Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    i love them! I have actually worked on the P-3 for about 4 years. I love all the old planes on the flight deck too! That SR-71 Blackbird is intimidating! Wish I was there!
  • Options
    cunarder534cunarder534 Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    Thanks for these. I wish I was there. thumb.gif
  • Options
    OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    Great stuff! One of my favourite tourist attractions.
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    Awesome shots Moose. What a thrill it must be to see such a large warship up close. I really can't imagine landing a plane on one of those things at sea.
    Where will it be berthed? I am going to be in the city in a week or so and would love to visit it.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    Nice series. It brings back memories. Several years ago, I got invited to spend the day on the John F. Kennedy which was operating out of Mayport, FL. We left port before daybreak and didn't return till about 8:30 that evening.

I got to watch all kinds of planes take off and land while I was standing on the island..... seemingly right on top of the things. About midday, they put on a real special show that included ordnance firing of all kinds. They even dropped a 1,000 lb. bomb several hundred yards out. You felt one heck of a concussion. At the end of the show, they had an F-18 break the sound barrier right off the port side at about 200 ft. elevation.

It was a day I'll never forget and one that made me really proud to be an American. Your pictures do the same.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    Howdy Moose,

What great images, great perspective on your shots, they really show a lot go great details of all the neat planes.

Very nicely done!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    Very cool!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    Thanks, folks, I appreciate the kind words. It was quite a sight, seeing the old gal coming up the Hudson.

Jack, she is berthed at Pier 86, at W46th Street and 12th Avenue on the West Side. Unfortunately, she won't be open for visitors until Veterans Day weekend, November 8th. You can see her from the sidewalk along the river, but that's about as close as you can get right now.