Options

FOUND: the perfect lens for outdoor soccer!

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited April 21, 2005 in Flea Market
but I have no money! :wxwax :wxwax :wxwax :wxwax :wxwax

Does anyone have a 70 - 200 f2.8 (Canon compatible) they want to be rid of? :D

I could come up with a Sony 707, quite a lot of Sony memory sticks and some cash! Unless my tax return brings a big windfall, that will be the best I can do for now. SIGH!!!!!! ( I am almost at the point I'd also consider selling the 828!!!!)

ann

Comments

• Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    If outdoor is your poison, I would consider the 70-200mm f/4L with a monopod thumb.gif I saw one on FM for about 500 bucks, and that is a sweet lens for a great price!
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    but I have no money! umph.gifumph.gifumph.gifumph.gifumph.gif

Does anyone have a 70 - 200 f2.8 (Canon compatible) they want to be rid of? :D

I could come up with a Sony 707, quite a lot of Sony memory sticks and some cash! Unless my tax return brings a big windfall, that will be the best I can do for now. SIGH!!!!!! ( I am almost at the point I'd also consider selling the 828!!!!)

ann
    Ann consider the 200 f2.8 L a prime lens that is $659.00 US From B&H I sure am enjoying mine and I find the fixed focal length is not so bad.
    Freight tax etc. you could have it for approx $870.00 can which for a
    L lens is a steal in my books. Also check out the reviews on it at FM
    Thats why I bought it.

Tim
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2005
    BridgeCity wrote:
    If outdoor is your poison, I would consider the 70-200mm f/4L with a monopod thumb.gif I saw one on FM for about 500 bucks, and that is a sweet lens for a great price!

Hi there

Well, I have a monopod already. I was thinking along these lines: 70 - 200 plus TC. Our season runs from May through August in the evening. May and August after 8p.m. is pretty low light, so I think I will need to start with f2.8 in order to use the TC. Then when I get rich!!!! I will add something like the 400mm f5.6 to the kit!
    Last summer, I used the 828 always at full zoom (200mm equivalent) with a 1.7x tcon and wished I could get closer!

ann
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2005
    Shakey wrote:
    Ann consider the 200 f2.8 L a prime lens that is $659.00 US From B&H I sure am enjoying mine and I find the fixed focal length is not so bad.
    Thats why I bought it.

Tim
    Hi Tim

Sounds pretty sweet. Just like the thought of one zoom in my collection!
    I think I can get the Sigma 70 - 200 f2.8 for about a grand, new. Just have to keep turning up couch cushions til I find a grand!

I will keep that lens in mind, for sure.

ann
  • Options
    joechiujoechiu Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2005
    How often are you shooting? If you're going to do it only once in a blue moon, maybe you can just rent? I rented a Nikon 70-200/2.8 for $30 over a whole weekend. Maybe you could do similar?
  • Options
    brucenzbrucenz Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2005
    confused by specs
    Hi - can someone explain to me please the specs used to descibe a lens like you guys have discussed 30-200 f/8 - or whatever it was - many thanks

brucenz
    www.brucepool.com
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2005
    joechiu wrote:
    How often are you shooting? If you're going to do it only once in a blue moon, maybe you can just rent? I rented a Nikon 70-200/2.8 for $30 over a whole weekend. Maybe you could do similar?
    Hi Joe
    A good suggestion, but I typically shoot 3 to 5 games every week!!!!! I tried renting a lens here last fall and the only long canon available was the 'old' 80 - 200 and it was booked months in advance. It was a cheap way to test out a lens though.

ann
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2005
    brucenz wrote:
    Hi - can someone explain to me please the specs used to descibe a lens like you guys have discussed 30-200 f/8 - or whatever it was - many thanks

brucenz
    www.brucepool.com
    Hi bruce

focal length: 70 - 200 mm
    (think zoom power)

apeture (maximum that the lens is capable of); f2.8
    The smaller the number, the bigger the apeture, and the more light that gets in. Small number means it is capable of handling low light situations (dusk or cloudy days for me).
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2005
    I know people who shoot soccer and football with the 100-400 glass and are very happy with it. Lots of reach, great images. And with that much zoom you won't have to run the sidelines as often. The only down-side is its a f/5.6 at the long end. This might give you trouble at dusk.

For a low-cost solution get a 200/2.8L prime and a 1.4TC. I think you will find you are zoomed out an awful lot anyway.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 23, 2005
    brucenz wrote:

brucenz
    www.brucepool.com
    Hiya Bruce wave.gif

What they are discussing is basically the difference in maximum aperture of these lenses. The max aperture is the widest that each lenses is capable of opening it's iris. So a lenses with a max aperture of F2.8, is one stop faster, and lets in twice the light, than a lenses with a max aperture of F4. The one stop difference allows you to use faster shutter speeds on the F2.8 lens. These faster speeds are needed in sports to "freeze" action. So in poorer light a "faster" lens (one with a numerically smaller max aperture) would be preferable. For example, instead of shooting at F4 1/250, you'd be able to use F2.8 and 1/500.

Here's a link to a site that might help clear things up a bit :-)

http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm

Welcome to Dgrin,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2005
    Shakey wrote:
    Thats why I bought it.

Tim
    One of these on FM right now for $750 cdn plus shipping from TO. Guess I should call my local shop.
    A
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 21, 2005
    Ann, I believe you found your lens from Andy? I'm marking this thread as FOUND.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    Yes, thanks, Doctor! I am ever grateful to Andy and hope I can have it pay for itself like the 85mm did. As I have told Andy, I wouldn't have been able to afford this baby without his nudge and certainly not new with all of the tax and duty they come with!

ann

DoctorIt wrote:
    Ann, I believe you found your lens from Andy? I'm marking this thread as FOUND.