Options

Simple Uploader "locking" files after upload.

LA LandscapesLA Landscapes Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
edited October 6, 2008 in SmugMug Support
After I upload my files I throw them away.

With the new Simple Uploader, however, the files remain "in use" and I can't ditch them until I quit Firefox. This doesn't happen every time but it happens most the time.

I rarely quit Firefox, and I don't like having to do so just to delete some files.

Is this happening to anyone else?

WinXP
Latest version of FF2.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    *bump*

No replies? :confused

Is anyone else having this problem?
  • Options
    JoeGJoeG Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    I just think you might be the only person that dumps files after uploading eek7.gif
    Joe Gearhart
    Photos | Blogs | Twitter | MySpace | Facebook
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    JoeG wrote:
    I just think you might be the only person that dumps files after uploading eek7.gif
    Hmm. I export photos out of Lightroom, then upload them. Why would I keep them?

Besides, it shouldn't work this way. Should it?
  • Options
    edmaineedmaine Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    I do delete my files after I upload, but I don't really have a direct answer for you as I am on FF3 now.

I can tell you that I don't see that behavior happening with FF3, but then again, I rarely use FF3 now to upload, as the simple uploader on FF3 only uploads 1 file at a time. I almost exclusively use IE7 to upload my files now as it does it 3 files at a time. Mind you, this is the only thing that I use IE7 for, for all other stuff, FF3.

Hope you can find a resolution to your issue.

edmaine
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2008
    edmaine wrote:
    I do delete my files after I upload, but I don't really have a direct answer for you as I am on FF3 now.

I can tell you that I don't see that behavior happening with FF3, but then again, I rarely use FF3 now to upload, as the simple uploader on FF3 only uploads 1 file at a time. I almost exclusively use IE7 to upload my files now as it does it 3 files at a time. Mind you, this is the only thing that I use IE7 for, for all other stuff, FF3.

Hope you can find a resolution to your issue.

edmaine
    The Simple uploader gives you a window, to which you can drag and drop as many photos as you want.

It would be really nice if I got a response to this, considering my OP was more than a month ago.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    The Simple uploader gives you a window, to which you can drag and drop as many photos as you want.

It would be really nice if I got a response to this, considering my OP was more than a month ago.
    Sorry we missed it! You can always write our help desk, where we never miss a beat and answers come really fast!

I don't know the answer. I"ll ask one of our team to look into it.
  • Options
    anderivanderiv Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Hmm. I export photos out of Lightroom, then upload them. Why would I keep them?
    If you have LR, why not use the Smugmug export plugin? It works great, and you don't have to go through the "export to jpg, upload, delete" song and dance - it takes care of everything for you!
    Erik Anderson
    http://andersonfam.org
    http://andersonfam.smugmug.com
    D70 | SB-600 | Nifty Fifty | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Nikon 70-300 f/4-5.6G
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Hmmm, I don't see this problem. I checked with Firefox 2.0.0.11 and Internet Explorer 6 and the Simple uploader only had the files locked when it was actually uploading it. Deleting them afterwards wasn't a problem. I was even able to delete them after I had started the upload. That means I deleted them before they were even uploaded.

Could you try again and see if this still happens? Check with Process Explorer on if you can identify the process that seems to lock the files. Here's how to do that:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/processlock.htm

What plugins do you have in your Firefox? Maybe one of the plugins / toolbars / add-ons interfers with the uploading process and keeps the files locked.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 14, 2008

He meant that it does threading, meaning that three files at a time can be actually uploading from the batch instead of just one at a time. It is still basically saturating your internet connection, but it could be a bit faster.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2008
    anderiv wrote:
    If you have LR, why not use the Smugmug export plugin? It works great, and you don't have to go through the "export to jpg, upload, delete" song and dance - it takes care of everything for you!
    I tried the smugmug uploader via Lightroom and it was unreliable.

Hmmm, I don't see this problem. I checked with Firefox 2.0.0.11 and Internet Explorer 6 and the Simple uploader only had the files locked when it was actually uploading it. Deleting them afterwards wasn't a problem. I was even able to delete them after I had started the upload. That means I deleted them before they were even uploaded.

Could you try again and see if this still happens? Check with Process Explorer on if you can identify the process that seems to lock the files. Here's how to do that:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/processlock.htm

What plugins do you have in your Firefox? Maybe one of the plugins / toolbars / add-ons interfers with the uploading process and keeps the files locked.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Thanks for the reply. I'll try that next time. I have noticed that if I delete files immediately, they will delete no problem. The locking may only happen if I wait a while.

Sheaf wrote:
    He meant that it does threading, meaning that three files at a time can be actually uploading from the batch instead of just one at a time. It is still basically saturating your internet connection, but it could be a bit faster.
    Got it. I suppose I can try uploading via IE, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who tries to open IE as infrequently as possible.
  • Options
    petebockenpetebocken Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    I have always had this problem also. I usually import my photos from my camera into a temp. folder then organize them down into folders. Before I do that I upload them and besides not being able to delete them you can't move the files out of the directory either.

I use Firefox 3.0.1 with many add-ons. Haven't tested without add-ons enabled.
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2008
    Any suggestions from the folks at DGrin/Smugmug? This is still a major annoyance.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    Any suggestions from the folks at DGrin/Smugmug? This is still a major annoyance.
    I don't know, you're the only person I've seen who deletes after uploading :( I"m really sorry.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    After I upload my files I throw them away.

With the new Simple Uploader, however, the files remain "in use" and I can't ditch them until I quit Firefox. This doesn't happen every time but it happens most the time.

I rarely quit Firefox, and I don't like having to do so just to delete some files.

Is this happening to anyone else?

WinXP
    Latest version of FF2.

Thanks.
    Happens every time to me too. Any app that's still open linked to the photos
    will keep them from being deleted. I think it's something in the active java.
    SmugBrowser does this also.

RAW > TIF > jpg
    After upload of jpg I delete the tif after each edit and jpg save but can't
    move the jpgs to another folder without closing apps.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog