Options

Lightroom 1.4 question

i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
edited October 7, 2008 in Technique
I'm doing some contract editing work on the side for a few extra dollars from a MASSIVE wedding shoot. I hear there were 2-3 photogs on the ground + one in a helicopter + video all around. My part in the equation is to take ~2500 frames and do general post on them. Cull it down to ~500-1000, edit & PP those, and mark out ~50 for 'special use' (print to canvas, etc.)

Here's my dilemma. I was going to process in CS3, but I think it may be a lot easier to just do it all in Lightroom 1.4. The problem, however, is that I don't want to clog up my own photo database with this one-time use. Is there a way to create different 'profiles' or something so that I can clear out my photo database, import and work on all these for the next several days, then get all my stuff back the way it was?

Thanks everyone!
I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
~Herbert Keppler

Comments

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    I don't think there is any need to clear out anything. You should be able to create a separate New catalog just for this job since Lightroom supports multiple catalogs.
  • Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    I think that may work, but where is the previous catalog stored? Is it in some common place or ?
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    MarkWMarkW Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    I think that may work, but where is the previous catalog stored? Is it in some common place or ?

By default I think the catalog is under my pictures/lightroom (on a PC). However when you create a new catalog you can always get to the old one by going to file recent catalogs and it should list your last catalog there. I create a new catalog for all my shoots that way when I'm ready to backup, I know I will only be backing up images from that particular shoot.
    Mark Warren
    EOS 50D, 30D, Sigma 50-150 f/2.8, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, MF Pentax 50 f/1.4, MF 70-200 f/4.0, and a MF 200 f/4 adapted for Canon, Canon 580EXII and 430EX, 2 Vivitar 285HV's and many various modifiers.
    http://www.markwphoto.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/markwphoto/