Options

School Portraits

celesteceleste Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited October 7, 2008 in Technique
I am going to be shooting school portraits for a small school. They actually use some type of software...not sure what to build the yearbook themselves. I will be selling packages to help raise funds....I plan to give the yearbook staff a copy of the photos on cd. I want to know if I have to do anything different or if the yearbook software will resize for those tiny little pictures?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2008
    celeste wrote:
    I am going to be shooting school portraits for a small school. They actually use some type of software...not sure what to build the yearbook themselves. I will be selling packages to help raise funds....I plan to give the yearbook staff a copy of the photos on cd. I want to know if I have to do anything different or if the yearbook software will resize for those tiny little pictures?

Thanks

I guess it really depends on what they are using. I did the photos and yearbook for my daughter's school last year and used Blurb.com. I was able to just drag and drop from either iphoto or smugmug, and the software resized to fit the template.

Caroline
  • Options
    So did you just shoot your pictures as you would a normal school portrait......about waist up? And if the software does not resize what would you suggest.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    celeste wrote:
    So did you just shoot your pictures as you would a normal school portrait......about waist up? And if the software does not resize what would you suggest.
    Regardless of what the target software will or won't do, one rule of thumb that is almost always right is to shoot for what you need/want. In this case, you know what the target photos are going to look like (ignoring, for the moment that they will be small) - so shoot for that, plus about 10% for cropping. This gives the yearbook staff as much data with which to work.
  • Options
    Thank you. Very helpful. Do you happen to have any school photos/portraits that I could view.
  • Options
    celeste wrote:
    Thank you. Very helpful. Do you happen to have any school photos/portraits that I could view.

Here are a couple that I took today at my preschool. I used my D300, SB600, Softliter II with diffuser. I had to keep running from the sun all day. I think I shot something like 80 kids. I had a max of 5 minutes per kid, and I try to get at least three decent shots. I get to do it all again tomorrow! Then, I'll have big kids on Friday when I do my daughters' school (pre-k through 8th grade).
    383225418_3FdUb-S-1.jpg
    383343923_iti6Z-S.jpg
    383343548_WZiKs-S.jpg
    383373101_dNWmR-S.jpg
    383357055_bJCrT-S.jpg
    383284625_Sdk98-S.jpg

Caroline
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2008
    Caroline, these are quite nicethumb.gif

If I may, I would maybe suggest you get down on their level a little more. The "looking down on them" perspective is not as interactive as when the camera is more nearly on level with their eyes. You have a couple of examples of each in the set above - just for comparison.
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2008
    Caroline, these are quite nicethumb.gif

If I may, I would maybe suggest you get down on their level a little more. The "looking down on them" perspective is not as interactive as when the camera is more nearly on level with their eyes. You have a couple of examples of each in the set above - just for comparison.

Thanks, Scott,

I agree about getting down on the kids' level (I teach preschool after all). I usually try shots from a few different perspectives with each kid. Different kids will respond better to different angles. Yesterday, I was also trying to be mindful of sun in the background, so I had to shoot more with that downward angle than I usually like to . Our location was the courtyard at the church preschool where I teach, so we were limited when it came to finding good shade. All in all, I'd still rather do these outside than set up a mini studio inside. A lot of young children find the studio set up intimidating, and the parents like how different it is to have school portraits done outside.

Anyway, today I shoot more and I'll work harder at taking more shots on child level. Thanks for the input!

Caroline
  • Options
    SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2008
    Caroline really nice shots of the kids. thumb.gif
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Options
    Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    I would also be careful not to cutoff fingers and toes in your framing. If you dont shoot loose enough around the edges of your frame it will become even worse when the photo is cutdown to print sizes, 8X10, 11X14 etc..

Looks like you are on your way.

Cheers

Dave
    Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
    that has added up over the years :wink
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2008
    Dave Clee wrote:
    I would also be careful not to cutoff fingers and toes in your framing. If you dont shoot loose enough around the edges of your frame it will become even worse when the photo is cutdown to print sizes, 8X10, 11X14 etc..

Looks like you are on your way.

Cheers

Dave

I know, those poor little fingers! Usually I crop those down into headshots before parents view them. I also take some a little further out. It's tough work when I have such a short time with each kid. This is the second year I've done the bulk school photo thing. It ends up being pretty good money, and I have fun, but I don't think I could do more than the two schools I already do. Okay, maybe if I quit my teaching job.

Thanks for the comments. I hope my posts are helpful to those who are just starting with the school portraits. I'm definitely in the trial and error phase.

Caroline