Options

Mendhi ceremony - Fri Sept 26

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited October 8, 2008 in Weddings
FINALLY I have an internet connection...although it is still somewhat choppy, I was able to upload with only a few glitches.

Had no idea what to expect layout/lighting wise before arriving. Was given by a family friend in her huge, gorgeous house...living room had two story wall of windows. Festivities held in basement. Go figure. :rofl

1. Lovely bride arriving
383800904_PVjpY-M-3.jpg

2. Lots of estrogen and warm fuzzies
383789116_e9YTM-M-4.jpg

3. food was amazing...think this is called dhokla
383789158_9pjFH-M-4.jpg

4. Everyone had a chance to sit with the mendhi artist...very neat!
383789355_AEfCZ-M-4.jpg

5. The younger girls performed a dance for the bride...so sweet
383796918_SLkf2-M-4.jpg

6. Rave reviews!
383796808_DfHLJ-M-4.jpg

7. The hostess and the bride. Very open, welcoming mix of people. It was really something....
383796853_QfPBf-M-4.jpg

8. One of my favorite "catches" of the weekend.....bride removing her "single girl" bangles before a special bangle ceremony. Five married women then presented her with green bangles, which only married Indian women can wear.
383811400_A53WU-M-2.jpg

9. The mother of the bride anointing her forehead
383811448_TSyWR-M-2.jpg

10. Then it was time for the all-girl dance party! The homeowners had their own little dance floor in the corner of their basement. It was awesome!
383811505_P2XVD-M-2.jpg

11. It was the middle of a Friday afternoon, but it could have been 1999.
383800969_4vVkc-M-4.jpg

12. liked the bokeh in this one....
383811612_kKSaX-M-2.jpg

383811553_Ms9KC-M-2.jpg

ETA one more!!! sign of the times :D
383830928_ABmsv-M-0.jpg

Hope you've enjoyed them at least a fraction of how much I enjoyed taking them. American and Indian ceremony/reception pics coming soon (Including some from Shima!)

C&C welcome, as always!

Lynne
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2008
    Yah! I saw your title of the thread pop up and nearly clapped my hands and said oh goody! I guess I have been looking forward to this one!

My fav is #6. And #9! what a catch!

(more photos please!)
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    haha, I felt the same way .... was totally waiting for those rolleyes1.gif

WONDERFUL pics Lynne. Nice expressions!!
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    Where is the groom? I wanna see the lucky fella!

#3.... mmmm :eat Were you able to eat any?
    #4, were you able to get that art drawn on you?

Indian festivities are always really colorful and lively! Really sweet set!

#9, not too fond of the flower set blocking the bride's head, or at least some of it.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    I've been waiting for this one to show up. It looks like you really had a good time. And, it looked like you were working in some cramped quarters - but you pulled it off in spades. Well done!

Love all the colors and the joyous festivities. Just too nice for words!
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    Great stuff Lynne, wish I could have tagged along for this too, looks like it went great! 4, 5, 8 and 9 are probably my favorites, awesome job overall though. I'm very excited to see what you will post of the ones I gave you to play with for Saturday's photos :)
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2008
    Yah! I saw your title of the thread pop up and nearly clapped my hands and said oh goody! I guess I have been looking forward to this one!

My fav is #6. And #9! what a catch!

(more photos please!)

Hey Heather, forgive my rudeness in not getting back here sooner to say thanks! And I'm so sorry I don't have more pics up...I was sooooo behind on other weddings and just had to crack the whip on myself before leaving for vacation tomorrow!

Glad you liked them! iloveyou.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    haha, I felt the same way .... was totally waiting for those rolleyes1.gif

WONDERFUL pics Lynne. Nice expressions!!

Thank you Agnieszka!!! From someone who does such vivid, vibrant work you were definitely a huge inspiration to me this weekend! Thanks!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2008
    Where is the groom? I wanna see the lucky fella!

#3.... mmmm :eat Were you able to eat any?
    #4, were you able to get that art drawn on you?

Indian festivities are always really colorful and lively! Really sweet set!

#9, not too fond of the flower set blocking the bride's head, or at least some of it.

I'm so sorry...it's going to be a week or so till I get the real "wedding" up! Must submit to the queue! :cry I did eat some of the food over the weekend, not much but what I did eat was delicious. And the art, since you have to keep your hands from touching anything for a few hours after application, it certainly wasn't an option for me, but I wanted to (and was invited to, which was cool in itself.)

Thanks for commenting!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2008
    I've been waiting for this one to show up. It looks like you really had a good time. And, it looked like you were working in some cramped quarters - but you pulled it off in spades. Well done!

Love all the colors and the joyous festivities. Just too nice for words!

Thanks, Scott! I did have a marvelous time, especially at this particular event. Very relaxed but lots of energy and emotion. I think you would have been proud had you seen the dark, L shaped cave I shot in. I used clear lightspheres on 3 580exes around the room and I'm pretty happy with how the setup worked. My biggest complaint about this setup is getting lightstands in photos. What's your take on that?
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Great stuff Lynne, wish I could have tagged along for this too, looks like it went great! 4, 5, 8 and 9 are probably my favorites, awesome job overall though. I'm very excited to see what you will post of the ones I gave you to play with for Saturday's photos :)

It was a lot of fun and I'm sooooo glad we had the opportunity to shoot together!!! You are so talented!

As you know my week thus far has been insane....you are totally welcome to post your own shots, since I'm a party pooper! (and will be on a beach in 12h) mwink.gifrofl
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2008
    Wow! Look at those colors! What a party! I love the bangle shot (#8)!! Looks like very close quarters with lots of people and you really captured some moments and expressions and the mood of the event. Congratulations, and have a fantastic vacation!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Wow! Look at those colors! What a party! I love the bangle shot (#8)!! Looks like very close quarters with lots of people and you really captured some moments and expressions and the mood of the event. Congratulations, and have a fantastic vacation!

Thanks, Elaine! It sure was fun!!! Now I'm off to have some no phone/no internet/no work and even NO KID fun for a week!!! :cavigwings.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    :hide

Superb :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Thanks, Scott! I did have a marvelous time, especially at this particular event. Very relaxed but lots of energy and emotion. I think you would have been proud had you seen the dark, L shaped cave I shot in. I used clear lightspheres on 3 580exes around the room and I'm pretty happy with how the setup worked. My biggest complaint about this setup is getting lightstands in photos. What's your take on that?
    Lightstands are a pain. An even worse issue is accidentially not paying attention to the location of the light sources and shooting right into a flash. The resulting flare is not a goodness!rolleyes1.gif

However, if a little bit of a lightstand makes it into a shot that is otherwise superb and if you can't crop out the lightstand - well, "It is what it is..."
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    It was a lot of fun and I'm sooooo glad we had the opportunity to shoot together!!! You are so talented!

As you know my week thus far has been insane....you are totally welcome to post your own shots, since I'm a party pooper! (and will be on a beach in 12h) mwink.gifrofl

Thanks for the compliment, I've always loved your work so it was great to shoot with you finally! With your permission I have posted my shots from last week :D And on another note... thanks for giving me the joy of playing with the 50 1.4.... the one I bought off of Andy should arrive tomorrow according to UPS!!!
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    Great colors! 4 and 11 are my picks. I hope I get the chance to do an Indian wedding some day.