Options

Protected Gallery, but user able to right click?

jbr13jbr13 Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
edited October 9, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Would it be possible for just the user to be able to right click a picture that is protected? I like to protect pretty much all galleries, but share an image here and there on a forum or two. I hate that I have to unprotect a gallery, get the URL, then reprotect it.

Is there another way, that I haven't heard of or is it just that way.

Thanks for all the great work guys!!

Jason
Jason

http://jbr.smugmug.com/

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced... Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice"

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    I'm sorry, there's not a way.
    - Andy
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    jbr13 wrote:
    Would it be possible for just the user to be able to right click a picture that is protected? I like to protect pretty much all galleries, but share an image here and there on a forum or two. I hate that I have to unprotect a gallery, get the URL, then reprotect it.

Is there another way, that I haven't heard of or is it just that way.

Thanks for all the great work guys!!

Jason
    You can just learn how to construct the URL yourself and then figure out the URL without having unprotect to get it. Here's how:

If you are in the Smugmug view, your URL in the browser will look something like this: http://jfriend.smugmug.com/gallery/5608869_vwzCG#344291068_HdnTo. The characters past the # sign in the URL are the imageID and the imageKey. So, to construct a URL to that image for a forum posting, you simply take those characters after the # sign and put them into a URL like this:

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/344291068_HdnTo-L.jpg.

This is a URL to the Large size (-L). Other sizes are:

-S = small
    -M = medium
    -L = Large
    -XL = XLarge
    -X2 = XLarge2
    -X3 = XLarge3
    -O = original

So, now you know how to manually construct an image URL. All you need it the imageID and imageKey out of the browser window and you just put it into the rest of the URL.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    jbr13jbr13 Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    Thanks Andy, I figured that to be the answer. If it could have been done you all would have already done it.

Jfriend.....thanks I will try it that way!

Jason
    Jason

http://jbr.smugmug.com/

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced... Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice"
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited September 9, 2008
    I may have totally missed the point here, but are you just trying to get to the share photo screen? I use the share button all of the time to grab the url of my photos, but I don't want that button available to anyone else.

Try this CSS to allow access to that screen just when logged in:
    .share_button {
        display: none;
    }
    .loggedIn .share_button {
        display: block;
    }

--- Denise
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    Denise! That is wonderful, thanks for sharing that! clap.gif
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited October 8, 2008
    JenGrace wrote:
    Denise! That is wonderful, thanks for sharing that!
    Jen -
    You're very welcome.

But... you'll need a slight update to the code I posted last month. There was a recent change in smug, and the code that you need to enable the share button now is:
    #shareButton {
        display: none !important;
    }
    .loggedIn #shareButton {
        display: block !important;
        display: -moz-inline-box; 
        display: inline-block;
    }

--- Denise
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2008
    Thanks again! :)
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose