Options

Home Studio Help

bellaphotobellaphoto Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
edited October 10, 2008 in Technique
Hello, i am ready to set up a basic small home studio, what do i need for starters. i am on a budget. thanks soooo much
i will be photographing children, women and pets

Romina
http://www.rominasphotography.com
:dunno
Romina Ludovico

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    here would be my suggestion for a starter kit for you.

2 or 3 studio strobes (I suggest Alien Bees and both lights matched.....both same model)
    background stand min 12 feet wide
    1 black background 10ft x 24 ft long
    sekonic L358 light meter
    a few folding stools from some where like wallys world...here they run 14.95ea
    a wireless transmitter and receiver (under $30 off ebay)

Then when you make enough to get a 3rd light you can also get 2 gel holders from B&H and some colored theatrical gels to color the background to match the mood you want to express..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2008
    bellaphoto wrote:
    Hello, i am ready to set up a basic small home studio, what do i need for starters. i am on a budget. thanks soooo much
    i will be photographing children, women and pets

Romina
    http://www.rominasphotography.com
    ne_nau.gif

it's a pretty open ended question. to better try and answer that, why don't you start off with what you presently have and how much you're slating to invest in additional equipment.

off the cuff, i'd say
    - a good camera
    - a normal and short tele lens (50mm and 100mm)
    - an open space at least 10x15
    - 2) 300ws strobes (main and fill)
    - 2) lighting umbrellas; 1 shoot-through and 1 reflective if you're starting out.
    - 1) 150ws strobe (or on camera flash unit remotely triggered)
    - background support stand (or some other apparatus to hang backgrounds, a pair of good J hooks and a 1" steel pipe works too)
    - a couple rolls of seemless background paper or some muslin backgrounds
    - a stool for posing (i'd have to disagree w/ art and go against a folding chair)
    - a light meter is nice; but if you don't have the funds, learn by trial and error on your camera
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto