Options

My clients need to search... help?

Mabou2Mabou2 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited October 10, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hi all,

I have a gallery of about 600 images that I need to post. There will be many different families looking at (and buying) photos, based on a large variety of criteria (family name, person, location, etc).

I am currently setting up SubCategories (SC) to try to help with the situation, but am realizing that many photos will need to be duplicate or triplicate in the main gallery if the only way to organize the clients needs are through the use of subcategories.

For example, a portrait of Joe will need to appear in the Portraits (SC), and the Smith family SC. An image of Suzie at an event would need to appear in the Frank Family SC and the Events SC.

You get the idea.

Is there something I am missing here? I have multiple keywords assigned to every image (via Aperture) and was hoping my clients would have a convenient keyword search ability in Smugmug, but that appears to not be the case.

Any help?

Comments

• Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2008
    Mabou2 wrote:
    Hi all,

I have a gallery of about 600 images that I need to post. There will be many different families looking at (and buying) photos, based on a large variety of criteria (family name, person, location, etc).

I am currently setting up SubCategories (SC) to try to help with the situation, but am realizing that many photos will need to be duplicate or triplicate in the main gallery if the only way to organize the clients needs are through the use of subcategories.

For example, a portrait of Joe will need to appear in the Portraits (SC), and the Smith family SC. An image of Suzie at an event would need to appear in the Frank Family SC and the Events SC.

You get the idea.

Is there something I am missing here? I have multiple keywords assigned to every image (via Aperture) and was hoping my clients would have a convenient keyword search ability in Smugmug, but that appears to not be the case.

Any help?

Hi,

The search facility on your site will locate pictures by keyword:

My site. If you put walker into the search at the top of the page it takes you directly to the picture. This is a basic example but keyword searching on SmugMug does work.

hth

Seamus.
  • Options
    Mabou2Mabou2 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2008
    Thanks Seamus,

I see that the keywords work that way. I was kind of hoping to have a popup that let the client choose from the available keywords in their gallery. This way they can peruse by keyword, rather than them having to know what the keywords are, or not finding what they want because they didn't spell something correctly in the search.

Matt
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited October 10, 2008
    Mabou2 wrote:
    I see that the keywords work that way. I was kind of hoping to have a popup that let the client choose from the available keywords in their gallery. This way they can peruse by keyword, rather than them having to know what the keywords are, or not finding what they want because they didn't spell something correctly in the search.
    I'm not aware of a popup at a gallery level, but there is a keywords page you can display. Don't know if you're interested in that.

I have keywords on my site on a "find" page (at http://www.denisegoldberg.com/find), but the full keyword list can be seen at http://www.denisegoldberg.com/keyword/.

The find page needs constructing, but the keyword page is just available.

--- Denise
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2008
    Mabou2 wrote:
    Thanks Seamus,

Matt

Hi Matt,

a gallery on my site. if you put in mondello in the search field at the top, the results returned are from the gallery. I think this is what you are looking for. If you type in pollock in the search you get two results. So, you can be quite specific with keyword searching on SmugMug.

hth,

Seamus (with a lot of help from Sebastian... support hero)