Options

around the world problems

cyclemancycleman Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited October 11, 2008 in SmugMug Support
while I was updating my site, I saw the "around the world" thing that said I could get a key from google. so I did, got back to my hjome page and entered it, was told it was the wrong key, went back to the google, got a new key, got back to the home page. saw this big google map box, which doesn't look very good. I would like to get rid of it, but there's no place I can see to do that. btw there was no place to enter the new key, even under the homepage section of the control panel. need help!

dick louderman

Comments

• Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 11, 2008
    Dick,

Setting up the maps can be confusing the first time around if you have a custom domain. Getting rid of the current invalid key is done in the control panel on the settings tab. There is a link to delete the current key.

Setting this up requires a couple steps.

1. delete the bad key.
    2. follow the link to get the new key. Enter the yournickname.smugmug.com version of your URL. Get the key.
    3. Log into your site using the yournickname.smugmug.com version of your URL. Go to the map and enter the new key.
    4. Go back to the link to get a new key.
    5. This time enter your custom domain. Get the key.
    6. Log into your site using the custom domain URL. Go to the map and enter the new key.

That should do it. I know that it is a pain but the system associates the key with the way you access the site. I am betting that you got the key for one version and entered it into the other login to your site.

If you have trouble, please let us know.

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    cyclemancycleman Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2008
    docwalker wrote:
    Dick,

Setting up the maps can be confusing the first time around if you have a custom domain. Getting rid of the current invalid key is done in the control panel on the settings tab. There is a link to delete the current key.

Setting this up requires a couple steps.

1. delete the bad key.
    2. follow the link to get the new key. Enter the yournickname.smugmug.com version of your URL. Get the key.
    3. Log into your site using the yournickname.smugmug.com version of your URL. Go to the map and enter the new key.
    4. Go back to the link to get a new key.
    5. This time enter your custom domain. Get the key.
    6. Log into your site using the custom domain URL. Go to the map and enter the new key.

That should do it. I know that it is a pain but the system associates the key with the way you access the site. I am betting that you got the key for one version and entered it into the other login to your site.

If you have trouble, please let us know.

--Doc

hi, Doc,

all I really want too do is get rid of the google map box. how do I do that?

dick
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 11, 2008
    This works for all sections on the homepage. In the the top right corner there is a "hide" link. Click it. That moves the map or other homepage section to your control panel homepage tab.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com