Options

Can't log in on second computer

Mike_PMike_P Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited October 12, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Although Smugmug seems to accept my log-in and says "you're in!", after a few seconds the screen switches to "No galleries found - Perhaps you'd like to try searching for one?" and the "Home Login Help" shows again on the upper bar, indicating that it does not consider me logged in.

I should emphasize that my desktop logs in fine, and I have been enjoying Smugmug for months. It's the laptop that can't seem to get the hang of it. (grin)

Thoughts, anyone?

-- Mike

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2008
    Mike_P wrote:
    Although Smugmug seems to accept my log-in and says "you're in!", after a few seconds the screen switches to "No galleries found - Perhaps you'd like to try searching for one?" and the "Home Login Help" shows again on the upper bar, indicating that it does not consider me logged in.

Thoughts, anyone?

-- Mike

Do you have a custom domain? If so, it's best to login on the username.smugmug.com domain.

If no custom domain, then it's probably a cookie or javascript issue. Are you sure that you don't have any security software that could be blocking cookies or javascript? Ad-blockers? Norton with high security block on? Firewall turned up high?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Mike_PMike_P Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Do you have a custom domain? If so, it's best to login on the username.smugmug.com domain.

If no custom domain, then it's probably a cookie or javascript issue. Are you sure that you don't have any security software that could be blocking cookies or javascript? Ad-blockers? Norton with high security block on? Firewall turned up high?
    No, no custom domain. Turning off Zonealarm and AVG AV has no effect. Both computers are running XP and using Firefox browser, same version precisely and I compared the tools/options -- they are identical on both.

The second computer (a laptop on local wireless LAN) can log in successfully using Internet Explorer, however. This I suppose is a fall back plan, but I really hate to use IE and I'm super curious what I'm missing here.

-- Mike
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2008
    Mike_P wrote:
    No, no custom domain. Turning off Zonealarm and AVG AV has no effect. Both computers are running XP and using Firefox browser, same version precisely and I compared the tools/options -- they are identical on both.

The second computer (a laptop on local wireless LAN) can log in successfully using Internet Explorer, however. This I suppose is a fall back plan, but I really hate to use IE and I'm super curious what I'm missing here.

-- Mike

Losing a login is only about losing a cookie, so you'll just have to figure out why the cookies aren't getting stored right on the PC or aren't getting back to Smugmug. There are also different forms of the URL that can fool the login. For example, username.smugmug.com and www.username.smugmug.com could have some different cookies. What is your site URL?

You could check out a cookie tester site like http://www.html-kit.com/tools/cookietester/ to see if cookies seem to be working correctly.

Nothing much else beyond this that I can suggest here.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question